RC Competitor

Ballistic or HV...whats the difference????

I am looking at the 4.5 for my PE and cannot really tell what the difference is between the 2? I have a MMP Esc and want to have a good motor match for it.

RC Racer
    lifted strait from novaks website

Novak isn’t a stranger to innovation. It has repeatedly brought original products and technological advancements to the R/C industry, and, to no one’s surprise, Novak is doing it again! The Ballistic 550 Brushless Motors (#3504-#3506) are the first 550-sized motors to break into short course competition and easily outperform traditional 540-sized motors. The Ballistic 550s are so powerful because of their extra long stator and rotor magnet. In fact, the stator and rotor magnet are twice the length of 540-sized motors, giving them twice the torque of an equivalent 540 motor. The more torque, the more speed that is generated! Additionally, these larger-sized motors run cooler and more efficiently than their 540 counterparts. These high-powered machines are the motors of choice at small, indoor race tracks and easily install into OFNA’s Hyper 10 SC Pro 4x4 Kit™, OFNA’s Jammin’ SCRT 10 4X4 Kit™, Traxxas’ Slash 4X4 4WD Short Course Trucks™ and many other 1/10-scale short course trucks.

In addition to its already impressive features, including low-speed driveability and no cogging, the Ballistic 550s have also been fitted with rugged 5mm output shafts for maximum resilience and race life. Additionally, the motors are sensor-based for a smooth and controlled power delivery.

BALLISTIC MEANS VERSATILITY
    And like the Ballistic name implies, these motors are completely rebuildable and feature interchangeable wound stator construction. There are four Ballistic 550 Wound Stators (#S6504-#S6507) available with more to come! A simple stator swap allows for easier experimentation at the track and cuts down on racing costs. And like all of Novak’s Ballistic motors, the Ballistic 550s feature a replaceable rotor, front end bell, sensor harness, bearings and other replaceable items.

The only real difference is the stator is changeable on the Ballistic.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Champion
    whats the cost difference between the HV and the Ballistic?

RC Champion
    $20 difference

The new Ballistic's appear be simpler / cheaper to rebuild

Cheers
    Slash Platinum
    SCT MMP / 2400kv

RC Qualifier
    The Ballistic will also feature a female sensor wire input.
    4x4 PE & Beyond...

RC Champion
    the ballistic also has easily adjustable timing, custom sensor wire lengths, and the rumor is build-a-ballistic with ceramic bearings as an option.
    Slash 2wd w/ Novak
    Rusty w/ Castle

RC Qualifier
    The New Ballistic Motors are just rebuilable Novak HV motors, that's all they are, unlike the old days if you bought a 6.5T and wanted a different turn motor, you had to buy a whole new motor, now if you want a different turn motor and you have Novak's New Ballistic Motor, all you have to do is order the staor that you want and just change it out.

RC Competitor
    Will they work with the Mamba Monster Pro Esc? WHich one would be best for 2s? I will be racing mostly. Is it a BIG improvement over the Velinion?

RC Racer
    Yes, it will work with the Mamba Max Pro ESC.

The HV and Ballistic 550 motors should perform identically. Either the 4.5 or 5.5 motors are great for 2s lipo. The 5.5 motor just needs to be geared higher than the 4.5 to achieve the same speed, but the performance should be the same either way. The 5.5 allows for the possibility of gearing lower and using 3s lipo.

I run the Novak HV Pro 5.5 and get 38mph with 18/54 gearing and about 32mph with 15/54 gearing (2s lipo).

And yes, it is a huge improvement over the Velineon motor. Tons more torque with lower motor temps.

RC Competitor
    My bad Max......I dont know what I was thinking. Which one would be a all around better motor? I could get the Ballistic and 4.5 and then get a 5.5 and just switch when I want.

RC Racer
    As far as I understand, the only difference between different Kv rated motors (assuming it's the same exact motor, except different number of turns), is that you'll need to gear the lower Kv motor up higher than the higher Kv motor to achieve the same speed. The resulting performance should be the same, so the only thing to consider is the range of possible gearing combinations that are physically possible on your vehicle. The lower Kv motor may even be more efficient.

The 5.5 could easily be geared up to about 45mph on 2s with somewhere around 20/50 gearing, which is probably way overkill for racing. The 5.5 can also be geared lower for reasonable speeds (40+mph) on 3s lipo if you want to get your speed courtesy of higher voltage with lower amperage (lower amperage = lower temps). Or you could leave it geared higher on 3s lipo for insane speeds. Under the assumption that my first paragraph here is all correct, I think that makes the 5.5 more versatile ("all around better"?) than the 4.5.

How about you contact Novak tech support and say, "I cannot decide between the 4.5 and 5.5. I want to gear my car to XXmph and know that I can do so with either motor. Is there any reason that one would be better than the other?" let us know what they say

RC Enthusiast
    Along this same line I'm wondering.... Will the run the Ballistic 550? I know it may seem like a dumb question. Brushed motors I know plenty. Brushless is new to me. Getting my 4x4 this week. This will be my first 540 size brushless.

RC Enthusiast
    "Will the run the Ballistic 550?"

What does that mean?

RC Competitor
    well I may go ahead and order a HV 4.5. The ballistic is on back-order....everywhere.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig_V
    "Will the run the Ballistic 550?"

What does that mean?
    My bad..... Will the Velineon run the 550 motor?

RC Enthusiast
    It works for some people, doesn't for others. I think they figured out that the new VXL ESCs would run them but not the older ones.