Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

What was your rookie mistake?

Personally, my worst one was tighten the clutch, change to stock 18/54 add 3s lipo .... first run out of the box was about 5 min... then I thought, maybe I need to read some directions now..... here I am, about 100x more knowledgeable from these forums
    Caution, this message contains words.

RC poster
    Not checking rear bearing which froze up and wrecked my motor bearing. Live and learn!!!!!! costly mistake

RC Qualifier
    My rookie mistake was getting hooked on RC. I sat up the night the 4x4 was announced like a little kid looking for Santa. Now here I am, xxxx$'s later checking my insurance to see if it covers rehab. Of course it's only a problem if you want to quit, right?

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, pretty much what jato said. Getting addicted to RC, thinking I needed another RC car, and an electric one. Several hundred dollars of equipment and lipos later, I decided I needed a 4x4 too. So I sold my 2wd, and now have 2 very expensive RC Cars, one nitro and one electric.
    50 characters? Fail.

RC Qualifier
    striking jealousy into the hearts of all onlookers!
    Had the gears set-up for onroad speed runs but I went off road (grass field) about 5min none stop!!! My lipo's was about to burst.
    I got skills!

RC Racer
    Yeah same here; when I have already invested $700 in my slash 4x4, $800 in my Savage X SS,$ 800 in S Maxx and another $ 1000 for a couple of other cars I have and this is in one year and by the way these are only estimates.
    It's an ongoing thing for me to purchase things I can barely afford because I am hooked.

RC Qualifier
    I bet I'm in for a grand at minimum so far on this 4x4 "relearning" the hobby.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by KoolDeal
    I bet I'm in for a grand at minimum so far on this 4x4 "relearning" the hobby.
    im in over $7000 since January of 2009 (yes, a mere 17 months)

started out with a revo 3.3 and 2wd slash, then converted the revo to an ERBE last summer, and finally bought the slash 4x4 this january
    MMM E-Revo
    VXL Slash 4x4
    VXL Slash 2wd

RC Qualifier
    1-T-Maxx 3.3 (had at least $1400.00 in it)
    5-Jato 3.3's (had at least $1200.00 in each)
    4-Revo 3.3's (had at least $1500.00 in each)
    1-Platinum Revo 3.3 (had at least $1700.00 in it)
    2-Brushless E-Revo's (have at least $1900.00 in each)
    2-E-Maxx's (had at least $1300.00 in each)
    2-Mini E-Revo's (had at least $850.00 in each)
    2-Rustler VXL's (had at least $800.00 in each)
    1-2x4 Slash (had at least $750.00 in it)
    2-4x4 Platinum Slash's (have at least $1300.00 in each)
    41-Lipo's all different sizes (have at least $6000.00)
    4-Battery Chargers @ $160.00/each
    2-battery chargers @ $250.00/each
    1-Power Supply @ $110.00/each
    1-Power Supply @ $100.00
    This is just what I can think of comes to a Total of $35,500 for 3 1/2 years, that's $10,142.86/year.
    I WOULD SAY THIS IS ADDICTING, AND ALL I DO IS BASH, I DON'T EVEN RACE!

RC Champion
    buying a brushed motored truck (not a 4x4 slash).
    rustler vxl 2.4

RC Qualifier
    BBBB, that's defiantly a poster child account of addiction

RC Qualifier
    I know, it's a SICKNESS, they need to come up with a RC REHAB.

RC poster
    filled the entire rear carrier with diff fluid not knowing it only went in the little cup. Needless to say it was a huge mess

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by demosthenes1
    filled the entire rear carrier with diff fluid not knowing it only went in the little cup. Needless to say it was a huge mess
    Did the same thing filled both bulk heads with diff oil. And ran 3s with the center diff and melted the motor

RC Qualifier
    lol, I'm glad you said that..... I was wondering how to change that oil

RC Qualifier
    i was gonna run it a couple weeks after i first got it and every time i hit the throttle it would go about half speed and then stop well i took it into the workshop thinking something locked up in the diffs so i had taken the front apart and put back 2gethter then i realized about half way through taking the back one off i had forgotten to charge the batt. that was in there. lol =)

RC Enthusiast
    My rookie mistake also was getting into rc. One Slash 4x4 and a Revo, I don't know how much longer my Revo will be around though lol.

RC Qualifier
    I gave my friend a run with my slash... kool its waterproof you say.... SPASH 18" of ditch water not 10 seconds later.... yes its waterproof...whewww. But now its MMM with 9L so I'm a solo driver now

RC Qualifier
    Geez, I have a lot of rookie mistakes:

-Re-installing the wrong screw for the nerf bar, which was too long and nearly penetrating the chasis with it.

-Not buying a quick charger with the truck, so waiting 8 hours for a crappy battery to recharge with the default charger.

-Letting my 2-year-old son apply the throttle

...probably more, but that's it for now...

RC Qualifier
    .... buying twice as many parts as needed before "hoping up" to better parts

RC Qualifier
    my rookie mistake was switching to my first ever lipo and switching the esc to the low-cut off. then when i went to run the 7-cell traxxas battery again it wouldn't run and i freaked out cause i thought i had burned up the esc then realized the low-voltage cutoff hadn't been turned back off.

RC Qualifier
    i did the same thing last weekend with my daughters rustler.... she likes my "red" battery best... but without me she gets the nimh packs for obvious reasons..... had to put my lipo back in her rustler then turn off lvc then change batts back

RC Qualifier
    Went to pick up a radio for my bros Slash and ended up walking out with amy 1st vehicle...4x4 Slash. SO...my mistake was not buying the PE since I made my rtr into a PE and bought a new radio :/

RC Racer
    Let my roomate who has a 1/16 road car that does 80mph
    drive my new out of box Slash 1/10 off road car it lasted about 30seconds in his hand before hitting a pole...
    lesson learned before i pass off the controller i advise "this car is worth
    $900 do you have a grand to cover shipping and repairs? No? sorry you cant play with my toy "

so far i have yet to break my slash or make a newbie mistake and i would like to thank this community for being my safety net
    thanks guys! you all rock!
    4X4/sw.kit/rpm fr & rr/m.flaps/motor&esc kw club!

RC Qualifier
    mine was locking up the slipper i went through 4 diffs before i figured out the problem

RC poster
    First run with my Slash 4x4 was in a construction site with a few big hills made out of small pebbles. I had lots of fun climbing and jumping, and was only distracted occasionally by an intermitent metallic scraping/grinding sound when I squeezed the throttle.
    After a good hour of bashing, I pick my truck up and remove the body and see the rearmost part of the driveshaft that isn't protected by the clear cover has rocks in it! They have been bouncing around, chewing up the slipper clutch nut. Even better, there were rocks under the driveshaft cover that created scratches all over the place!
    Now I know to pay more attention to strange noises!

RC Champion
    Going to the LHS to ask why my 2wd slash wasn't working and it was a stripped pinion gear
    PLEASE do not PM me and immediately go offline :p

RC Racer
    My rookie mistake was thinking that everyone here would be welcoming and nice.

Oooops I still make that mistake.

Lol
    Slash 4x4
    MMM 2650
    Rustler VXL
    Emaxx

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by magfli
    My rookie mistake was thinking that everyone here would be welcoming and nice.

Oooops I still make that mistake.

Lol
    Hmmm... there is some truth to this post...

RC Qualifier
    my rookie mistake was having the LHS replacing 4 titans in my slash 2wd, went brushless with the CC sidewinder. then sold that then bought the vxl, then bought the slash 4x4 and now i cant sell my 2wd cuz nobody will buy it!
    2nd place is 1st loser......

RC Qualifier
    My rookie mistake was thinking that I could "FIX" my no longer working Blue LiPo (hard case) batteries. Although I DID manage to affect a 'temporary fix' on the first one, while trying to force the case on the second one open I apparently gouged one of the cells causing the battery to start smoking like an active volcano! I of course FREAKED OUT! Luckily I was in the kitchen (next to the garage door) so I tossed the battery in the middle of the empty garage floor and opened the garage doors. I then grabbed my lipo sack and stuck the thing inside and let it finish burning up. Never saw any flames at all but the battery case melted down pretty good. The LiPo sack didn't even get so much as a scorch mark or dark spot inside though.

I was LUCKY! DO NOT make this mistake guys...if your LiPo goes bad, get rid of it! I had read somewhere on these forums that people had fixed their LiPo's and thought "if they can do it, so can I". I can't and YOU can't either...at least that was my experience with sealed hard case LiPo's. Maybe you might be able to fix a soft case battery without gouging the cells? I wouldn't try it though!
    Paul Valenti

Slash 4X4 #25 (Mark Jenkins)

RC Qualifier
    well I don't feel so bad after hearing some of these

RC Enthusiast
    Taking my 2wd slash to the beach and not doing a thorough cleaning after it got a little wet. Sand + saltwater = mess. I still haven't tore it down yet because I know how bad it'll be. Its been sitting three months now. Going to need new screws, new bearings, and whatever other metal parts I can't get the rust off of. Hopefully the VXL system still works. I might make it my project for the weekend.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by BBBB
    1-T-Maxx 3.3 (had at least $1400.00 in it)
    5-Jato 3.3's (had at least $1200.00 in each)
    4-Revo 3.3's (had at least $1500.00 in each)
    1-Platinum Revo 3.3 (had at least $1700.00 in it)
    2-Brushless E-Revo's (have at least $1900.00 in each)
    2-E-Maxx's (had at least $1300.00 in each)
    2-Mini E-Revo's (had at least $850.00 in each)
    2-Rustler VXL's (had at least $800.00 in each)
    1-2x4 Slash (had at least $750.00 in it)
    2-4x4 Platinum Slash's (have at least $1300.00 in each)
    41-Lipo's all different sizes (have at least $6000.00)
    4-Battery Chargers @ $160.00/each
    2-battery chargers @ $250.00/each
    1-Power Supply @ $110.00/each
    1-Power Supply @ $100.00
    This is just what I can think of comes to a Total of $35,500 for 3 1/2 years, that's $10,142.86/year.
    I WOULD SAY THIS IS ADDICTING, AND ALL I DO IS BASH, I DON'T EVEN RACE!
    BBB have you thought of renting these out? you might be able to recover your money. there are a lot of people who would like to try some vehicle before they buy and a stable like yours is a perfect setting for some money on the side.

RC Qualifier

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by MattyZ
    Taking my 2wd slash to the beach and not doing a thorough cleaning after it got a little wet. Sand + saltwater = mess. I still haven't tore it down yet because I know how bad it'll be. Its been sitting three months now. Going to need new screws, new bearings, and whatever other metal parts I can't get the rust off of. Hopefully the VXL system still works. I might make it my project for the weekend.
    Oh dude...you are...well it starts with an S and rhymes with crude! These trucks are water-resistant, not water PROOF. Ask around...SALT WATER is NOT your friend! Might as well buy all new screws AND bearings cause they'll ALL probably be bad. Anywhere that the salt water got in...all the metal parts will have most likely started to rust. Forget about the motor...at the very least the rotor bearing is probably shot...if you are VERY lucky the rest MIGHT be in tact still...

I fear the worst for you my friend...and I wouldn't wish your troubles on anyone. So I wish for you that a miracle has saved your investment. Going forward NEVER take your truck to the beach and IF you do...do NOT (and I mean NEVER) take it into the water. IF somehow this happens though...IMMEDIATELY following your bashing session tear the WHOLE TRUCK down, soak the screws and bearings in 4in1 oil and clean everything like it was NEW!

I hope that this doesn't turn into a hard lesson learned for you. Good luck!
    Paul Valenti

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah it happens. I was bored at the beach and the slash happened to be in my car. I was cleaning it off and hitting it with the air compressor and then i was gonna tear it down, but then something came up. I just never got around to finishing the job. And then my 4x4 arrived. Good thing about the 2wd is that parts and rollers are cheap, unfortunately the VXL isn't. I plan on upgrading the electronics in my 4x4, so i'll just put its system in my 2wd. I haven't taken the slash completely apart yet, so i'll have fun putting it back together.

RC Qualifier
    OH duh...I completely missed that it was a 2wd Slash! I don't really know much about those...are they supposedly water-proof as well?
    Paul Valenti

RC Champion
    Believe you me... it may not be as bad with a 2wd, but it still absolutely kills it

RC Racer
    Forgot to pull the motor wires through the rear shock tower of the 2wd, Test ran it without body, flipped did a 30 foot skid, ripped all 3 motor wires to shreds.

OOPS!

Doctor!
    4x4 Slash, Jan 2010
    2x4 Slash, X2 May 2010

RC Qualifier
    dang ... ordered a 40c 3s *****, a pinch to big for battery bay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast