RC Turnbuckle Jr.

New goodies, pics

Installed some goodies.

First up, the big motor. It feels heavy, the plugs are larger, the shaft looks huge. But, its not as long as I had imagined, overall its really not THAT much bigger than the vxl.

Install was easy, the wires were too short, so I snipped the wires off the vxl and soldered the female ends to the snips. There's 2 sets of plugs, but the velineon and motor remain stock.

I was geared 12/58 at 3500kv, now 13/58 at 2700 kv. All things equal, a 16% reduction in top speed is expected. I've got a 17/56 combo I can try for speedy days.

Another goodie I couldn't wait to try is the new radio. 2.4 ghz, and I picked up 3 rx's. I only have 2 running cars, maybe this will motivate me to finish the electric buggy idea.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    New receiver is small.

Now I've got a few outdated radio systems...

Radio went in easy, a quick calibration later and I took the truck for a tour of the house. It was so easy to keep under walking pace. I ran under the bed, at low speed, and it thunked something. When I eased on the throttle, it sounded like it was rolling, but when I looked under the bed, it was just lazily spinning the rears on the carpet, nosed into a footing.

Seems torquey, but the true test is the parking lot race/bash on Sunday.

My rc18t got some love. It too got the 2.4 treatment, a new radio tray, and a new gyro, the same model PG-03 I've been using for years.

The RC18T has a bad habit of cutting its own antenna off. I couldn't get the antenna under the body, so I ran it out the back.

Its tough to fit the oversize can, mamba, gyro, and rx in an 18th scale.

I picked up a pigtail that will let me charge dual 3s batteries as a 6s. I popped them on the charger, hit balance, and 7 amps. The power supply tripped before I could take the picture.

I lowered to 5, and it cranked along for a while.

5 tripped, I went to 4.5 and it was happy.

But it took FOREVER to balance. In fact I cut it short at 85 minutes. The last 2 cells didn't want to fall in line. They read lower the whole time by just a couple hundreths.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    So no time saved on charging, at least not in full balance mode. I picked up a paralelle pigtail. I want to try 3s2p on the batteries, put tall gearing in the truck, a bit of downforce and see how fast it'll go.

My theory was if I was burning the batts at the same time, I wanted to charge like that too.

RC Champion
    Neat! What motor is that?
    Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

RC Enthusiast
    I beleive this is what your looking for Cubic

http://www.*********.com/*********/s...idProduct=6675
    --Jon ಠ_ಠ
    Backbajr~NitroStampede~BrushlessEmaxx

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yep, the midsize one, kd 36-60 at 2700 kv

RC Champion
    Please tell us more once you've tested the ********* radio! I've been looking at it for a while, it's INSANELY CHEAP for a 2.4 system, I'm wondering if it will perform at least as good and responsive as Traxxas 2.4 radio. If so, then I'm getting it for sure!
    Myth busted: Blitz is not faster on the track.

RC Champion
    Cool! Thank for the link. Interesting option. Let us know how it goes over time.
    Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Its been raining steady out here. While that doesn't usually slow me down, I don't want to throw the new motor in the water for its first run.

There's been some questions about the radio. Yes its dirt cheap. I think the radio was 29, and the extra receivers were 7. 7 bucks for a 2.4 rx, thats why I got 3. I was going to go Spektrum, but the extra rx's and the 300+ for a radio was cost prohibitive.

My buddy runs this same radio, so I've used it on his car. My bash spot is an industrial area with metal buildings, and my slash has gotten glitches at 100 yards out or so. Big time interference if I stand inside one of the buildings and try to drive the truck on the outside.

I've tried am and fm, same story. I'll loose control if the truck is between buildings, at long range.

But his 2.4 was rock solid, with range as far as I could see. Amazing range, and his cars never glitched. His hk 2.4 didn't care where the car was, it simply never glitched. I too was curious and after trying it, ran out and bought one for myself.

Plus the other weekend at the race, I had to be careful of my frequency, no more of that!

I know the antenna likes to point straight up, I wonder how the rc18 will do with the horizontal antenna? I expect the slash to be rock solid. Range isn't as big of an issue on the rc18, as its usually much closer to me.

But a 3s Slash likes to cover ground and will be 100 yards out in no time.
    Last edited by ducati777; 05-20-2010 at 08:44 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    DISAPOINTED! Or maybe just frustrated.

Rain let up, I take the truck out and run in the backyard, it feels hot. But then again, that track heats up every setup.

Not wanting to fry the motor, I ran out and bought a temp guage. Then I decided to run out in front of the house, let the truck stretch its legs.

100 feet out, GLITCHES!!!!

Geeze, my buddy's system was rock solid, but mine has no range.

Then I start checking temps, and they keep rising, motor gets to 155 and I call it quits.

ESC was 115, felt warm to the touch but not hot. I've read that under gearing can heat up a motor and leave the ESC cool, I'm going to drop the 17T pinion in and go run again.

No clue whats up with the range issue. I'll charge up the rc18 and see how its doing.

I've got that 3rd rx, so I can swap out if the one in the slash is wonky. Its the rx that came with the system.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Ok.... new rx solved the range issue. At only 7 bucks a piece, its probably worth it to get an extra if you're interested in this radio. Being in the neighborhood I couldn't run it crazy far out, but I went a long way and it felt solid. Looking at google maps, I was about 500 feet out.

Raised the gearing, which gave me a jump in top speed. Its not crazy fast though, shooting from the hip 17/58 is giving me 35, MAYBE 40 mph.

Temps at first looked good, but then after 10 minutes or so I ran it out about 500 ft, and came back at top speed the whole way, pulled it up and measured, endbell read 180. Yikes!

I'm not giving up, but maybe this isn't the motor I'm looking for....
    Last edited by ducati777; 05-20-2010 at 04:42 PM.

RC Qualifier
    could you explain how you soldered it?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by slash50
    could you explain how you soldered it?
    Camera battery is dead, but I'll take a picture in a bit.

I kept raising the gear ratio, I'm at 17/54 which seems crazy high to me. But the motor is just eating it up, my top speed is back to where I was, but the torque is still crazy high.

I'm blowing through the slipper right now, I think its about 1/2 turn out. I'll have to go back to locked.

This motor seems to like low rpms and high load, so I'm going to keep gearing it higher. Temps stayed low much longer, but crept back up to 170ish. The neighbor's kids were cheering me on, so I started really pushing the action. I need a heat sink for sure.

With some taller gearing, and better cooling I could see this setup turning into a true powerhouse.

LHS has a 40 tooth spur.... do I dare????
    Last edited by ducati777; 05-20-2010 at 06:36 PM.

RC Qualifier
    A few other people stated the heat issue on the review section for that motor.
    I was hoping that this somewhat cheap motor would maybe be right for me, but judging by the comments, I would not be getting much more out of it than anything else because I run NiMh. I am not ready to switch to lipo yet :|
    Last edited by CoolestDinosoar; 05-20-2010 at 06:41 PM.
    I am lucky I don't have any money.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I read that too...

Cheapest isn't always the best.

RC Competitor
    I ran that radio for about a month in my Slash, was rock solid, dropped in my son's Pede and hes been beating on it now for another 3, zero issues...

That motor is weird, its bigger than the standard 540 can but has the 5mm shaft yet its really not a 550...crazy...
    MoD SLaSH - 10.5T - 2S - Hellbent LCG Chassis

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Only soldering I had to do was putting the female ends onto the extention wires.

The extention wires are the wires coming off the vxl motor. I cut them off, then solder and shrink wrapped the new connectors onto the end I cut.

So now the new end,

Plugs onto the male end that is on the motor

Then the other end of the wire, is the male plug from the VXL motor, and it plugs into the velineon ESC.

This way, both the ESC and the motor get to use factory connectors. I'd prefer just 1 set of plugs on the wire, but then I'd have to cut the factory plug off the velineon, or the motor...

RC Racer
    well mate that first gearing setup you had was well undergeared for this motor. Even though its only a few mm longer can than the VXL, they have a whole lot of torque & really you can gear them low, i think you said your at 54/17 now. IMO, you shoulve gone for the 3000kv motor instead. & also dont forget, the VXL is not a true 540sized motor, its a little longer aswell....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I thought I was buying the highest kv in that can size. I was sorting the motors by price, and the higher kv were actually on the next page. I didn't see them until after the order...

17/54 is much better but the truck feels like it wants even taller.

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    Keep us posted on how the motor keeps performing. I am a fan of that company also. Say what you want about their lipos, but they've worked well for over a year for me. My buddy got a brushless combo from them and his Rustler flies! I need to replace my Sidewinder motor. A few too many run without the wheelie bar on my BackSlash and the can started to rip through the motor screws. Black tape is holding it together and it still works fine, but not for long. I just ordered a set of 5000 Mah 7.4 ***** lipos from them last night. I'm also considering getting their 5-lipo charger as well. I need something to keep my BL Maxx going!
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ducati777
    I thought I was buying the highest kv in that can size. I was sorting the motors by price, and the higher kv were actually on the next page. I didn't see them until after the order...

17/54 is much better but the truck feels like it wants even taller.
    Are you on 2s or 3s?! If your on 3s then that motor is perfect, but if your on 2S it wont be as efficient casue you gotta gear the crap out of it to get some speed. If you think it needs more, go to an 18t pinion & see how that goes. For my setup, which is just a MMP4600, i was a little concerned about heat so i just ziptied a fan on the top part of the tranny case. It keeps my temps down really low now. ATM im running 56/13 with mine, after a full pack bash, it comes off at 140degF. I was on my lid once & the fan didnt work, jumped up to 181degF!! So IMO a fan is a great investment.....