Thread: My newest toy.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

My newest toy.

Well, it isnt a RC however I did get a new truck. It is a 1983 Dodge Ramcharger. It is a fun 4x4. In the week I have had it I have put it thru its paces. Including mudding, climbing, and traveling. It hasnt let me down at all.

My truck sees more air than yours!!!

RC poster
    That is very killer! Awesome dude, very awesome!

RC Qualifier
    Looks awesome man!

I'm lovin' the paint
    Nitro Sport Pro. 15
    VXL BlackSlash w/ DX2.0

RC Champion
    Looks like fun! Thank the rain for making more mud. It almost looks like an RC on that hill.
    Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

RC Qualifier
    man your lucky. I love Ramchargers. looks great.
    Owner of: 1/10 Slash 4x4 Platinum Edition

RC Champion
    very nice! gotta love those old dodge 4x4's. i had a 1970 power wagon with 4 speed with granny gear that was a "tank". pulled out alot of people with it.
    trx 450r woods rider......

I guess you can say you have gone 1:1 scale with your toys now. j/k

Glad your having fun Neil. Keep in touch

All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

I love the look of those "trucks" (stationwagons in the eyes of insurance which is nice) from that era. To be completely honest they all look VERY similar between the Bronco, Blazer, and your RamCharger. I had an 87 Blazer for awhile that I got dirt cheap and it was a great truck, hope you have the same luck with yours. They're great until you need to buy tires for them... 2 tires woulda cost me more than i paid for the truck haha.
    Some like R/C's that are fast, others like nitro

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Very nice truck, 318 or 360? I have owned several Trail Dusters and Ramchargers over the years. Reliable and easy to work on. Now if only I could find a factory big block RC or TD.
    I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.

RC Qualifier
    What's the wheel base on one of these out of interest

RC Champion
    I always loved to old Ram Chargers. Much nicer and tougher truck than the Blazer or Bronco of the same period. There was a kid I went to school with had one that him and his dad put a 440 in. It was a beast on a pretty good set of tires I'm thinking they where 35' or maybe even 38's. Even looked a bit like that. His was maroon red primer.

Great old truck. If I ever had the need for something like that the Ram Charger would be my choice.
    My mother
    Reba Collins 6/30/52 - 3/1/10 1:13pm

RC Qualifier
    That truck is a beast! I love those 4x4's.
    MERV
    Stampede XL-5

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    well it has the 318 for now. My plan is to find a 2009 or 2010 wrecked Ram 1500 and take the 5.7 hemi out of it along with the electronics and put it in. This thing is a tank. I use to have a 1986 with a 360 and the 4speed with the granny low. I missed that truck, so that was the main reason I bought this one. I can actually buy the tires I want for this for about $185 per. It has 35" on it, and a 4" lift. It rides pretty good for the size. I honestly cant tell you what the wheel base is on it.

Quote Originally Posted by john01374
    I always loved to old Ram Chargers. Much nicer and tougher truck than the Blazer or Bronco of the same period. There was a kid I went to school with had one that him and his dad put a 440 in. It was a beast on a pretty good set of tires I'm thinking they where 35' or maybe even 38's. Even looked a bit like that. His was maroon red primer.

Great old truck. If I ever had the need for something like that the Ram Charger would be my choice.
    That must be why you never see any of them and there's broncos and Blazers everywhere...
    Some like R/C's that are fast, others like nitro

RC Qualifier
    RCOVERBOARD do not, and I repeat, do not! put the electronics from the newer dodges into your new ramcharger, the newer dodges (04+) especially with the hemi have bad tranny problems, leave the 318 in it, from what I've been told if you want the newer hemi junk(its not even a real hemi) you can just swap the heads

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well, I am actually a salesman for Dodge. I work at the dealership here in town. I know alot about the new rams.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwaj2002
    from what I've been told if you want the newer hemi junk(its not even a real hemi) you can just swap the heads
    Wow, you have been told you can put a 5.7 head on a 318. I have some ocean front property in Arizona for sale . Also, the 5.7 hemi will bolt right up to a 904 or 727 trans. Mopar even sells a flex plate adapter. As for the 5.7 not being a real hemi, it still has a near hemispherical combustion chamber. The only reason it is not was an additional spark plug per cylinder had to be added to reduce the amount of unburnt hydrocarbons leaving the exhaust.

The 5.7 is a great motor for something like this. Go for it.

RC Qualifier
    i used to race the real hemis 392s ect. the 5.7 is a pent roof like the offy. it all has to do with the angle of the valves. to get you torqueflite to last longer drain 2-3 qts out and add back rear end grease.

RC Champion
    nice older truck!!

me personally i would keep the 318 in it and do a few upgrades to gain a little power out of it, back in the day them motors where strong.

p.s, i had a friends father who put 360 heads and intake on a 318 and it was a good setup.
    rustler vxl 2.4

RC Qualifier
    I have a 90 suburban. all the old box body trucks were sick. i drive the truck every day. paid $10 for it off a old couple who wanted to scrap it. i said they can scrap it when it dies i'll give it back then. (i think they thought it was going to die soon) 45k miles later its still running. these old motors LOVE diesel oil. cleans them out and they dont smoke on start up anymore

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by moe7404
    to get you torqueflite to last longer drain 2-3 qts out and add back rear end grease.
    I guess if you love slow shifts, blown seals and worn out clutches, this would be something to do. High viscosity oil is something you always want to add to a hydraulic system.