RC poster

Lipo charging sack?

I know the importance of using one. My question is my LHS has them for $23.99 and I can find them online for $3.99 is there a differance? I dont like going cheap on safty but is it necessary?

Slash 4x4 T-Maxx 2.5r
    Last edited by Autodoc; 05-20-2010 at 10:36 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I honestly don't think it matters. A lipo sack is a lipo sack in my opinion. I know what you mean by not liking to go cheap on stuff but in this case I would just get the $4 one.

RC Qualifier
    I know...cheesy, but I been known to use an iron skillet at least it is movable in emergency
    Caution, this message contains words.

RC Champion
    I use a metal cookie can with a piece of fire blanket in it.. Honestly.. I watch it closely.. Always ballance charge and never at more than 1C so my risk is low, so I get more brave each time I plug em in... At first I was a chicken..
    Always in Trouble for trying to help out.

RC poster
    Its about safty and I have to use one at the race track to charge there.

RC Champion
    THIS is the one I use. Good size. I also have the larger version, but it's pretty huge.

I like the construction of this one. Also, it has a really heavy duty velcro closure, I would trust it to stay closed if thee LiPo were to blow.

I don't know how this one would compare to the $4 one you're talking about, but mine couldn't be any worse.
    ◄▲▼► SUMMIT ●○●○● 2 RUSTLER VXL's ●○●○● MERV ◄▲▼►

RC Racer
    Most of the stuff is all made out of china and just rebranded! That is just how things go.

I personally have a Losi Lipo bag which i use for charging, and i have a Ammo box from a local surplus store that i use to store them in.. If i find i am charging more than one pack at a time i drilled a 8mm hole in the back of the ammo box to feed the 5mm bullet connectors through to run my charger right in the Ammo box.. So i stick both packs and my charger in the box and let them go to town. I also use the box like that if i am charging where i can't keep one eye on them such as at a race.

RC Qualifier
    I have a lipo sac, but ive actualy found it more convenient to go to the army surplus store and pick up one of thoes 50 call ammunition cans. They are fire proof (as they are all metal) have a air tight/water tight seal on the top lid, durable AND lockable

When im at the track I just feed the charger wires into the can, and charge with the lid up.. if there is a fire in it, it wont go anywhere.. when Im traveling, i use the same box to carry all my batteries.

its been great for me, and was only 5 dollars at the surplus store
    Last edited by Telnets; 05-20-2010 at 12:18 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I love the ammo box!

RC Enthusiast
    How much do those ammo boxes run?

RC Racer
    Depends where you get them and the condition... Locally to me a company sells them called Princess Auto brand new for $20. works wonders.. I have actually had one of my lipos blow up on me small one from my mini Heli... did not know ti happened till i opened it up when i got home and seen all the black smoke come out

RC Racer
    I usually charge my batteries in my garage on a metal table, so I dont really worry too much while charging. I was nervous at first.... now I am maybe too lax.

I used to store my batts in an ammo can as well.....but it was heavy and bulky...now I found an aluminim camera case and store them in there...so far so good. Not the best idea but I keep my chargers in the same case...I guess if one lights up I am loosing everything.

I keep thinking I need to get a couple of sacks to store the batts in a sack inside the alum. case.
    Last edited by utah300run; 05-20-2010 at 02:19 PM.
    Emaxx,E-Revo,4x4 Slash,2-Blitz's,Firestorm,Mini T

RC Racer
    We recently watched a 4S 5000mAh pack blow up, came out of a car at the track and it was already swollen, They tossed in to the gravel parking lot well away from all the cars and such... When it blew up ( Softpack ) it show flames almost 10 feet in the air and it actually pushed itself from the blast about 4 feet... The gravel with in like a 3 foot radius was really warm... anything with in that 3 feet although it only flamed for a couple of mins would have melted.

After watching this, When my packs are not in use they are in the ammo box...

I would rather lose all my packs over my house or lifes of my family. When charging they are in the bag or in the box either way they are protected.
    Last edited by michael_lambert; 05-20-2010 at 02:43 PM.

RC Champion
    I have to wonder about what would happen if a battery were to blow in a totally air-tight container. It seems like all the gas and smoke would have to go somewhere.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Grand National's Avatar
    I use a Dynamite large LiPo sack. Seems to be of good quality. I just wanted to spend the extra money to get a well-known/tested brand because it might save me later. I'd rather spend $14 extra than have to pay for repairs that a exploding LiPo has created. I am sure the cheap ones are good, I just wanted to be extra safe.
    Casper - 2001 Dodge Cummins (my baby)

RC Racer
    I'm wondering why the sack at all right now, I babysit my Lipo's while they charge. since I dont have a sack yet. But They dont get even the slightest bit warn during charge.
    Is this normal? Can they be cold and blow up out of no where? Ive got ******* Hard packs.
    Thanks.

Also.. Storing them in the bag too? what they can just blow up out of nowhere?
    Last edited by wallofchaos; 05-20-2010 at 06:53 PM.
    4x4 Slash, Jan 2010
    2x4 Slash, X2 May 2010

RC Champion
    Mine hardly ever get warm, either. Not at all during the charging process, and usually don't get particularly warm to the touch when driving.

I'd like to think that if they were going to blow up, it would be while charging/driving. I see how or why that would happen if they were just sitting idle and not being subjected to temperature extremes. Still, I always keep mine in the bags when not in use.