RC poster

Proline PowerStroke shocks for Slash

My Slash is one tough truck. After 5 months of heavy bashing, I finally managed to break something. I bent a shaft on one of the rear shocks.

So, I decided to upgrade to some Proline PowerStroke shocks. I spent $60 at my local hobby shop for two new rear shocks.

I took my truck to the RC track and one of the shocks broke on the first big jump. I'm not kidding. Specifically what happened is, the shock popped off the rotating ball bearing located at the bottom of the shock. Even more scary was how easily I managed to just pop the shock back on the bearing -- no tools required. Only took a second and minimal physical effort.

A guy at the track suggested to me that I should put a washer beween the pin that screws into the arm and the shock. I will have to try that and see how it works.

In the meantime, I'm wondering if anyone else here has tried these Proline shocks, or has suggestions how keep them from "falling apart"?

Interesting also, I noticed right away when I unpacked the Proline shocks that the lower ball bearings are made out of PLASTIC unlike the stock Slash shocks that have bearings made out of METAL. (Note: The Slash shocks only cost about $20!) So, I had a bad feeling about the Proline shocks even before I put them on my Slash. Talk about PREMONITION.

PS: Next time I think I will buy Traxxas Big Bore shocks. They cost less than the Prolines and they should be even tougher than the stock Slash shocks.

RC Qualifier
    Rancho Tehama or Red Bluff area or California
    Wow. I was thinking of getting them. I have the 1/8 scale 8ight shocks on my racing rig at the moment and I have lighten the truck so much those shocks don't work any longer. So I am going back to traxxas stock shocks with metal caps. I will have a whole nother set for spares on race days. Only advantage of the big bores is the metal casing and they have stronger shafts. Because they are the same deminsions as the regular shocks. Why are they called big bores any how?
    Broken parts=New better parts

RC Qualifier
    one of my powerstrokes did the same thing. i also had a c-clip fail. i dont recommend these at all. my favorite set up is still the STRC bodies and caps with the hardened shafts.
    \BACKSLASH
    \BACKBAJR
    2WD Slash

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by George Zip
    Interesting also, I noticed right away when I unpacked the Proline shocks that the lower ball bearings are made out of PLASTIC unlike the stock Slash shocks that have bearings made out of METAL.
    You may want to contact P-L, mine aren't plastic. 1-800-899-RACE (7223)
    / 16

RC Competitor
    Love my Big Bores, a couple local guys have also tried and removed the Proline shocks, trouble with the c clips and non stop leaking for the most part...
    MoD SLaSH - 10.5T - 2S - Hellbent LCG Chassis

RC poster
    OK....this newbie has just learned that he has put the shocks on BACKWARDS. The rotating part at the bottom that pops out is supposed to face the suspension arm -- then it can't pop out anymore.

So, I take back anything negative I've said about the Proline shocks. Sorry about the mix-up.

Also, upon further inspection, the rotationg part at the bottom of the shocks appears to be made out of METAL after all, however, the shock caps both top and bottom appear to be made out of PLASTIC.

I'll keep you all posted how the shocks hold up in the long run.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah i was interested in these also and havnt done any major research on these yet. But what i want is a nice set of shocks for my slash. Something easily adjustable becuase i hate those dumb clips that come with the shocks.
    Buying Monster Trucks Madness Right Now

RC poster
    They are indeed very easy to adjust.

RC Qualifier
    by the way how exactly does the dual spring work and does the top spring (the small one) work whats its purpose and does it do it well. These are very expensive shock to waste money thats why i ask alot of questions.
    Buying Monster Trucks Madness Right Now

RC Racer
    i was always under the impression that the powerstrokes shock caps were metal, but am unsure of what material they used for the bottom cap. This thread is the first ive heard of the c-clips failing.

EDIT - OK just had a quick look & the bottom shock ends look to be plastic. If that be the case, then why not use the slash's bottom shock ends instead, if your having problems of the proline ones popping off. Traxxas hit the nail on the head with there captured ball ends, & ive never popped one on my slash....
    Last edited by Dirt Demon; 05-29-2010 at 06:53 PM.

RC Qualifier
    The caps and ends are metal. The stock ball ends won't fit, powerstoke shafts are huge.
    \BACKSLASH
    \BACKBAJR
    2WD Slash