RC Qualifier

Exclamation NOVAK Customer Service? You decide!

A few months ago I purchased a NOVAK HV4.5 Pro SC motor and mated it up with a MMP esc. After a couple months of use the rotor failed. The magnet actually came OFF of the output shaft (the whole assembly is called the rotor).

I checked out my warranty and sure enough...120 days...and I was well within that. So I contacted NOVAK and their tech guy diagnosed my problem and verified that the rotor would need to be replaced. He told me to download their warranty work doc from their website, fill it out and ship the rotor assembly back to them. They would then check it out, make sure that it was indeed bad and ship me a new unit.

I followed their instructions, somewhat distraught that I was going to be without my truck for a couple of weeks. When I informed my buddy that it was a warranty issue and told him the details he told ME what I hadn't even considered yet... THE RIGHT THING TO DO (on Novak's part) would have been for them to see that I had indeed purchased one of their motors, was within the warranty period...and that they should have shipped me a new rotor assembly along with return postage to send back the defective unit.

Let that sink in for a minute...and be sure that you understand it. Traxxas treats us that good when we have problems with their stuff. In fact EVERY vendor that I've dealt with is THAT helpful to the people who buy their products. But NOVAK? Well...I didn't even think to ask them to do the right thing. It never even occurred to me. BUT...my friend is right...they SHOULD have done what he said!

Additionally and sort of off-topic-ish...I'm getting into 1/8th buggies now and the buzz about NOVAK in the buggy world is almost ALL bad. Don't ask me why...but most every thread asking about motor choice has almost the same sentence, "anything but Novak"!

I will NOT be buying another NOVAK product in light of this baloney! Ironically...Castle Creations is within easy driving distance of my home. Had I purchased one of their motors to go with the esc...I would have been able to drive to their place and exchange the motor and I'd have been back on the 'track' the same day!

You live and learn I guess. Just thought that I'd convey my experience to the forums so that you guys could make better decisions in your future upgrades maybe. I'm not bashing here...just relaying what happened to me. I have NO IDEA what the rotor assembly in ANY other electric RC motor looks like. So I have no idea whether or not the same thing could happen to ANY RC motor. But I suspect that the magnet in my NOVAK motor was glued somehow to the output shaft. I was advised by my LHS and the guys at the track that I would not have been able to re-glue the magnet to the shaft.

It would seem that this union is tentative to say the least. If YOUR truck with a NOVAK motor starts running slow (like it's on a mostly dead NiMh or at 1/2 training mode speed) and making noise like it's spinning really fast...then you TOO might be experiencing what I have.

I'll be going to a NEU motor from Castle Creations next time around. Which one, I have NO idea!
    Paul Valenti

Slash 4X4 #25 (Mark Jenkins)

RC Racer

RC Qualifier
    striking jealousy into the hearts of all onlookers!
    Sorry to hear I'm not the only one .
    I got skills!

RC Qualifier
    When I received my order from them last week (Ballistic 550 4.5t & 5.5t stator), I opened the box and found that the stator they had sent was for a 540 size motor. The packing list was correct, the part wasn't. When I called them about it they told me to send it back and they would exchange it. I didn't even think about it until I got off the phone, but they never offered to cover the shipping expense back to them. I shipped the stator back today. Postage was around five bucks. Would be nice to get that back since it wasn't my fault I was shipped the wrong part. Small amount, but yeah...

I've always liked Novak's products. I even have a couple of old T-4's in my vintage cars that still work great.

I read bad and good about every brand of electronics in the RC industry. There are haters and fans for everybody.
    Turbo in the front, groceries in the back.

RC Champion
    NONE of the big name motor companies will cross ship you a warranty item.. Its not common practice at all... the only time i ever had ANY THING close to that kind of service was when a brand new Orion brushed motor burst into flames on me... Orion asked for pics and a scan of the invoice... and next day'd a motor.. other than that, 15 or so Castle motors warrantied, no cross shipping... 1 novak ESC, 1 Castle ESC, a Duratrax ESC, several servos and other radio gear.. NEVER had any one of them cross ship.. Not exclusive to novak... Traxxas will even ask you to mail them the whole dang truck (At your expense) if you have ESC that burst into flames and servos melt.... True story.. had to send in a complete Slash... they didnt cross ship anything for me either...
    Slash 2wd w/ Novak
    Rusty w/ Castle

RC Champion
    Tower Hobbies offered postage both ways on a recent order that a Motor was package wrong.
    MMM/2650, E-maxx Body=FUN !
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4

On occasion I have seen CC handle returns that way, send an item with a shipping box. But it's not always, and they use your Credit Card to cover the item till they receive your old one. Being local to CC, I have had to walk in a few returns, but usually there is still a wait, as they put you on the return list, so you have to wait your turn. But there is no doubt CC, has one of the best CS out there.

Novak just get's bad press because there motors don't make the power of the big motors. Just like the 540 Novaks, they don't make the power of the VXL, so everybody wants to beat them up for it. Even though they run cooler, and smoother. While they are not as high of quality of Neu, they are better then most of the other similarly priced motors.

But there is no doubt in my mind, Neu's are very, very good motors. Probably the best readily available, and they have a very low failure rate. The 1409 1y looks like a very good choice.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.