RC Racer

Question Improve Turning Radius on 3905

Anyone try to improve the turning radius of their Emaxx?

I am racing on a track that is considered "tight" for 1/10 scale shortcourse trucks...so you can imagine the fun I have running on it with my Emaxx.

I have the stock servos in right now......I upgraded to 2075 servos but had one go bad within a week so I stuck the stock ones back in. I really didnt see much advantage of the 2075's. The servo saver actuates so easily, I dont think the extra torque did alot. With either servo set up front tires cannot turn fully while stopped since the servo saver kicks in. The only time you can get full movement is with the vehicle moving.

I assume the only way to tighten the turning radius would be to modify the servo horns and or turnbuckle set-up to increase the overall travel of the wheel?

Has anyone tried to do this or even have an idea?

Thanks
    Emaxx,E-Revo,4x4 Slash,2-Blitz's,Firestorm,Mini T

RC Qualifier
    If I remember correctly the stock servos are 2075s and there's an aftermarket servo saver spring that is a little stronger. And some people actually installed 2 servo savers to remove slop. As for tighter turning try installing a spool in the rear and trying to kick out the rear end when you go around the turns.
    Are you an RC addict?

RC Champion
    3905 stock servos are analog 2056 servos with 80 oz/in torque, the brushless E-Maxx comes with the digital 2075s with 125 oz/in torque.
    E-Maxx 3905 - Rustler 3707 - Slash 5805

RC Racer
    is your toe and camber set ? these can greatly effect the way your truck
    will turn! other than that you may need to just live with it . dont forget
    you are running a 4wd truck , if it were to turn TOO sharp it would rip
    out the drive shafts!

RC Enthusiast
    Get an stronger motor, and drift around the corners! D

RC Racer
    I am racing against several Nitro Savages and they seem to be able to cut inside me on the turns without "kicking" out their rear ends. I was hoping to just get a tighter radius. After a race I had a guy run a few circles and measure it and it was tighter than I could do

I am runnung a 2370KV brushless so "drifting" isnt really a problem
    The issue is a light tap by another truck while drifting and it's all over with.

I guess I will have to live with it for now....I am looking to get a 1/8 scale buggy roller to convert to brushless....then its payback time!

Does the E-Revo have a tighter turn radius??

RC Qualifier
    what wheel/tire combo are you running? are you mostly having this issue when on the power?

RC Qualifier
    i upgraded my 3905 to 2.4 ghz and the turning radius on mine seems to be worse than before... seems to turn slower and catchy

I was wondering about the 2075 digital servos

keep us posted on what works for you

RC Champion
    Trim some fat, that should make it push less.
    15" WB HCR Mutant-Maxx Castle UE FLM 3906

RC Champion
    Assuming the wheels are held perfectly all the way to the left or right, the only way to improve that further is to alter the bell crank geometry in some fashion, correct?

Something I've thought about before.
    E-Maxx 3905 - Rustler 3707 - Slash 5805

RC Racer
    I have ran stock chevrons, badlands on high offset wheels and Crimefighters on stock offset wheels. The high offset wheel has the worst turn radius but not by much. The chevrons and Crimefighters are more or less the same.

I have tested the turn radius on my driveway turning circles, to try to remove the track conditions as a wildcard.

I am trying to get the owner of the LHS who is "the man" at setting up vehicles to give me a hand. I have played aroung in RC for a while just never serious....just plugged in the batt. and ran em till they quit. The "art of of tuning" I have never ventured into.

I was hopefull that someone that knows alot more than me had tried this before.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by utah300run
    I have tested the turn radius on my driveway turning circles, to try to remove the track conditions as a wildcard.
    How small of a circle were you able to turn?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by robb-e
    i upgraded my 3905 to 2.4 ghz and the turning radius on mine seems to be worse than before... seems to turn slower and catchy
    which 2.4ghz system do you opt for?

RC Qualifier
    the traxxas link, with multifunction knob, model 2239 (3 ch).

RC Racer
    Nitro Mt

I didnt measure it, I marked it with my daughters sidewalk chalk

I busted a rear turnbuckle so I picked up a RPM True Track rear end. I also have some new tires and beadlocks coming. When I get it all back together the way i plan on keeping it, I will measure it.

I hope to get all the new parts on, measure the radius then start tweaking. I am going to the LHS and hopefully getting some set-up advice. I just found out that the LHS is the one that set-up the Nitro Savage that I keep bumping heads with. No wonder the dang this is so hard to beat, he's been "tweaked"

RC Qualifier
    the traxxas link, with multifunction knob, model 2239 (3 ch).
    Did you try tweaking the steering exponential or the end point adjustment?

RC Qualifier
    Nitro Mt

I didnt measure it, I marked it with my daughters sidewalk chalk

I busted a rear turnbuckle so I picked up a RPM True Track rear end. I also have some new tires and beadlocks coming. When I get it all back together the way i plan on keeping it, I will measure it.
    True Tracks will obviously set the toe-in on your rear tires for you but what about the fronts? Are you running a couple of degrees of toe-out? It sounds like you're having some traction issues too. If you're planning on racing, return those beadlocks and get a set of dish wheels with the appropriate tire for your track conditions. It sounds like it's probably dry and dusty on top? If so, your crimefighters should work ok or maybe try a set of jconcepts goosebumps.

It seems a little strange that on a "tight for sc truck type track" your getting beat by a nitro savage. You should have the acceleration advantage assuming you can get any traction and speed won't really matter if the tracks tight anyway.

RC Racer
    Nitro_mt

I was getting killed in acceleration until last week....I was running stock titans

Last week was my first race with the brushless working properly. The first week I had the brushless....but no programmer and it was waaaay to aggressive. I pulled one of my badlands off the wheel and had to run the stock chevrons...that didnt work out so well

I finally got the programmer and turned down the puch and timing...now it's smooth and controllable. Got my badlands glued back up and havnt had a chance to try it out. I will race Thur like that since I doubt my other tires and wheels will be ready.

A couple other truck are runnng the maxx bow or crimefighters with good success.....We cannot run a "truggy or buggy" wheel must me a MT tire and wheel. The crimefighter or maxx bow looked like the best options I could find. I got a deal on the crimefighters with maximizer beadlock for $45 for a complete set brand new. I hope they work out.. I dont think they could be worse than the badlands????

I got the badlands more for bashing I really wasnt planning on racing the Emaxx. Then I ran it one night for fun and won...so I decided what the heck.

I guess I may just have to try to get it "set-up" and just improve my driving skills.

RC Qualifier
    Nitro-
    I programed it for the default emaxx settings.
    I've not tried to adjust the expo within the menu tree.
    It seems the longer I run it the more sluggish the steering gets.

RC Qualifier
    Nitro_mt

I was getting killed in acceleration until last week....I was running stock titans
    That would make sense with stock titans.

A couple other truck are runnng the maxx bow or crimefighters with good success.....We cannot run a "truggy or buggy" wheel must me a MT tire and wheel. The crimefighter or maxx bow looked like the best options I could find. I got a deal on the crimefighters with maximizer beadlock for $45 for a complete set brand new. I hope they work out.. I dont think they could be worse than the badlands????
    They should work fine especially if other trucks are having success with them. The only advantage to the goosebumps might be that they are a flatter (less rounded profile) tire and might work a little better on hard dry track.

I got the badlands more for bashing I really wasnt planning on racing the Emaxx. Then I ran it one night for fun and won...so I decided what the heck.
    That's how I got started, good luck!

RC Qualifier
    Nitro-
    I programed it for the default emaxx settings.
    I've not tried to adjust the expo within the menu tree.
    It seems the longer I run it the more sluggish the steering gets.
    Bad servo maybe?

RC Competitor
    Driving practice will help as will adding some toe out on the front tires. Without knowing your track, try approaching the turn on the outside and cutting the corner back to the inside as you come around the turn. I would also consider drag braking the turn so that you slow down without actually applying brake and can turn faster while coming through the corner. Just some ideas to consider.

RC Enthusiast
    You can try tuning the front and rear diffs by experimenting with different weight oils.

RC Racer
    are your pillowballs too tight
    that happened to me once
    Summit crawling MT
    Twin 2pedes for the kids

RC Enthusiast
    Since you are racing I assume you are not allowed to do all wheel steering?
    Rustler VXL w/Upgrades

E-maxx w/Upgrades

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    4WS would be terrible for high speed racing, the truck would be prone to flipping and hard to keep straight- thats why its mainly used by crawlers..
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Qualifier
    i have 2 emaxx's right now one with the stock setup and the other i am running one hitec high torque servo the single servo turns way better than the stock dual servo setup