RC Enthusiast

Aluminum center Diff

Here are some updated pictures of a prototype I have been working on.

*** did some testing today.. all went well. just a quick update..bill c

Last edited by bill c; 05-31-2010 at 01:18 AM.

RC Racer
    OH MY GOD!! Great!!! are you going to be selling them?
    Slash 4x4-Cyclone S-Pro3-Tten-x2

RC Champion
    That is beautiful!!!!!!!!!! I am ready for one asap.
    Alvin
    HARDCORR RACING

RC Champion
    I'll take 2.
    PLEASE do not PM me and immediately go offline :p

RC Qualifier
    very cool, how light is that thing?
    Owner of: 1/10 Slash 4x4 Platinum Edition

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by PontiacGT201
    very cool, how light is that thing?
    the traxxas one is 42grams. the alum. is 45grams. thats with 120k in the diff. so not bad at all. going to see if we can lose a few grams on ours. we will see.

RC Racer
    and how much for one of these or would you be willing to provide the specs on this so those of us with mill can fashion our own if you are too busy to mass produce?
    4X4/sw.kit/rpm fr & rr/m.flaps/motor&esc kw club!

I'll take one. Where to send paypal....
    Emaxx- truggy/CD conversion...

RC Champion
    I wonder how much he'd ask for if you sent an old center diff in for it.... a trade, kinda...

RC Champion
    Bill, I have an idea for ya. If you are capable of mass producing them and selling them, maybe you could add a few bucks and include a ceramic bearing with it. That sounds like a bullet proof solution to me.
    Hope to get one soon,
    Alvin
    HARDCORR RACING

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by round
    Bill, I have an idea for ya. If you are capable of mass producing them and selling them, maybe you could add a few bucks and include a ceramic bearing with it. That sounds like a bullet proof solution to me.
    Hope to get one soon,
    Alvin
    Very good idea! I wish I had made this!

RC Champion
    What a beating that diff was taking, great day of bashing!!!!

RC Champion
    Hmmmm remember the Traxxas monster will close this thread in regards to selling a product that you made.....

So what does it do better than the stock one ? I've been following the bearing problem... does this fix it ?
    3905 E-MAXX

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BT_EMT
    does this fix it ?
    No.

Turbo in the front, groceries in the back.

RC Enthusiast
    Take this, then make an aluminum mount for it that uses a bigger bearing and you're all set.

But then again, if you had a bigger bearing you may not need an aluminum case as the weak point is really bearing, not the diff case. The diff case is just collateral damage from a failed bearing.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig_V
    Take this, then make an aluminum mount for it that uses a bigger bearing and you're all set.

But then again, if you had a bigger bearing you may not need an aluminum case as the weak point is really bearing, not the diff case. The diff case is just collateral damage from a failed bearing.
    QFT.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SirSlash4x4
    I wonder how much he'd ask for if you sent an old center diff in for it.... a trade, kinda...
    Why would Bill_C want your old center diffs though? What would he do with them?

Quote Originally Posted by turbowop
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig_V

QFT
    Right, but isn't it the case that the stock plastic center-diffs are all fairly far off round? Therefore they are unbalanced and putting a load on the bearing that it certainly must not like.

I dunno how much it will help to fix that problem, I'm just trying to be fair to Bill_C until he determines the usefulness of his creation.

RC Qualifier
    I have yet to see an out of round center diff between myself and about eight of my racing buddies, so that doesn't really apply to me. Maybe the batch they sent to the Pacific Northwest was full of nice, straight center diffs.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by turbowop
    I have yet to see an out of round center diff between myself and about eight of my racing buddies, so that doesn't really apply to me. Maybe the batch they sent to the Pacific Northwest was full of nice, straight center diffs.
    Mine was out of round and the shaft wasn't true. after about a 10 min run on the track with a 2s the bearing failed (new bearing) and the diff case is now junk.

Between bigger bearing and an aluminum center diff it should be bullet proof.
    Slash 4x4
    Slayer

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, I don't doubt that there could be a bad batch of out-of-round center diffs out there. I was just pointing out that I haven't seen any yet. At least not anything bad enough to cause issues with the bearing.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BT_EMT
    Hmmmm remember the Traxxas monster will close this thread in regards to selling a product that you made.....

So what does it do better than the stock one ? I've been following the bearing problem... does this fix it ?
    Bill's been very careful to not imply anything about sales. He isn't a company, he just is a hobbyist who saw a need to improve upon a part that nobody else is offering a good solution to a known problem. He's lucky enough to have access to a mill and cnc machine. But I agree, if people ask questions like "How much" etc. this thread could find itself in no mans land. So, I suggest all questions be sent via PM.

Just trying to keep this thread alive. BTW, LAKERS!!!!! Ok, back to your regularly scheduled program.
    Slash 4x4 PE - MMM 2650, Losi 8ight 2.0 Shocks

RC Enthusiast
    ok guys.. tested all weekend.it works sweet. heat was 140 at the hottest point. bearing was 119 at its hottest. so the alum diff is soaking the heat up away from the bearing. for those of you that dont know, im running a mamba monster 2650 on 3s 45c & 3s 20c. we run very hard and fast. so with that said,this alum diff is holding its own.. not a single prob all weekend,im happy to say. going to make some shanges to it this week. try to get it a little lighter and so on... will keep you updated on it...thanks bill.c

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
    Bill's been very careful to not imply anything about sales. He isn't a company, he just is a hobbyist who saw a need to improve upon a part that nobody else is offering a good solution to a known problem. He's lucky enough to have access to a mill and cnc machine. But I agree, if people ask questions like "How much" etc. this thread could find itself in no mans land. So, I suggest all questions be sent via PM.

Just trying to keep this thread alive. BTW, LAKERS!!!!! Ok, back to your regularly scheduled program.
    thanks Scottkelly...yes lets keep it alve...i will keep you guys up to date on the testing on this board. for more info p.m's ok.. or http://www.rcshortcourse.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=8931 i will get back to you on your questions.thank you... bill c
    Last edited by bill c; 06-01-2010 at 02:42 AM.

RC Champion
    It will drive faster if you anodize it blue..... ok, it will look cool anyway... :-)

Are you testing this with the stock bearings to see if it will make them last, or have you tried the premium bearings from Boca etc. ?
    Last edited by BT_EMT; 06-01-2010 at 08:12 AM.
    3905 E-MAXX

RC Enthusiast
    im useing the stock bearing. seam to last longer. not as much heat at the bearing. all went well. i use to change the bearing 2 times a day or every 5 packs or so. i have 20 pasck on the same bearing.....

RC Qualifier
    Would this mod be able to make it handle the 3s and more battery packs?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by shill1234
    Oooo, interesting question, but I don't think so

RC Enthusiast
    i run mine on 3s,and 4s,45c with a monster 2650 all day.so yes this alum center diff will hold up to 3s,4s...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by bill c
    i run mine on 3s,and 4s,45c with a monster 2650 all day.so yes this alum center diff will hold up to 3s,4s...
    I stand corrected, very impressive bill!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SirSlash4x4
    I stand corrected, very impressive bill!
    its all good.... i will let you guys know as soon as i have the new one in my hand.... looking late this week.. first of next week.....

RC Qualifier
    If I could get one of these i may keep mine

RC Enthusiast
    If I could get one of these i may keep mine
    hold on to it. for more info go to http://www.rcshortcourse.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=8931

RC Qualifier
    very cool stuff indeed

RC Enthusiast
    ok.. i think i got to all your p.m's.. if you have more questions just send me a p.m.... i will get back to you a.s.a.p... thanks Bill.C...