RC Qualifier

Fly Sky 2.4GHz Radio

Well, I got my Fly Sky 2.4GHz radio from HobbyPartz the other day and just got it installed. For $30 I'm really impressed with this radio. The first thing I noticed is that the receiver is TINY...It makes my Futaba 2.4 receiver look large by comparison. I actually think it's smaller than the stated dimensions. After a bit of test fitting, I decided the best way to mount it was to take out the wall behind the servo and mount it laying down flat. The stock receiver hold down gets in the way of putting my battery in and I also think it looks bad...so that wasn't an option. For now I just used some DS tape and it's probably plenty secure given the super light weight of the receiver, but I do plan on making a hold down. The transmitter is a bit of an eyesore with that orange trim, but I can't complain for the money. Of course, the day after I placed the order they started stocking an all black version. No biggie. Just one test run so far, but everything works perfectly. I went out to about 300' and no problems at all. I would have gone further, but I worry about flipping the pede over when it's far away and possibly getting crunched by a car before I can get to it. I'll test the range more thoroughly at a later date, though. The transmitter is quite basic, but at least it has DR so you can limit your servo travel. Mine also came with a USB adapter so you can use it as a steering controller with a PC. This would really have been the icing on the cake if Fly Sky would have included some buttons on the controller, as a lot of racing games require more than just throttle and steering inputs. Bummer.

Fly Sky 2.4GHz Radio

Man, take the link out of there, or they are gonna be out of stock again
    I waited for awhile on these to come in stock, got sick of waiting and bought a couple TRX's systems.
    I have the same radio in mine, only from Redcat racing, and it does good.. They are a little cheap looking, but they have the basics, and get good range, like they should. Hard to beat for the price.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Competitor
    My stepson has been using one since Jan, flawless so far...
    MoD SLaSH - 10.5T - 2S - Hellbent LCG Chassis

RC Qualifier
    oh man, and here i am using the old Traxxas TQ with the huge antenna.... i told my wife i wasnt going to spend any more money... lol
    Sony Action Camera, My new toy

RC Qualifier
    Hey so can the receiver fit on the stock waterproof traxxas case????

RC Qualifier
    I don't have the receiver box, but I would say it should fit. I've got the Traxxas 2216 micro receiver and the Fly Sky receiver is way smaller. It's the same length, but shorter for the width and lots shorter for height.

RC Qualifier
    ....... , I don't know if I should order this one or go with the traxxas link, I just want to put the receiver in the waterproof box, anybody else has an input?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    IF it will fit where orion has it mounted now... it WILL fit in the waterproof box. He says its the same length but shorter and lower so if thats true it will fit for sure.

If your looking at a link radio or this one your kindof at 2 different price ranges. Id say the only in-between is the Tactic for about $60 and the RX on the tactic will fit in the waterproof box for sure, ive done it. This radio is the cheapest 2.4 you can buy, the tactic is maybe a BIT better in overall quality but no more or less features. The link is next in line price wise and has many features. Then you move up to the Futaba, KO Propo, Airtonics and Spektrum stuff thats at the higher end. All these RX's will fit in the traxxas waterproof box. One thing to consider though, is if youll want to run multiple trucks with one radio down the road. Getting extra receivers, how much the extra receivers cost and having multiple model memory are things youd want to consider if you plan to run multiples at some point. With that said, the radio in this thread is cheaper for the whole system than most other receivers alone. So you coudl have one for each truck and still save money.
    Last edited by pavmentsurfer; 06-07-2010 at 05:52 PM.

RC Qualifier
    The only downside to the Fly Sky is no model memory. If you wanted to run more than one vehicle with it, you'd be better off buying another complete radio system. That's my plan, anyway. On the upside, extra receivers can be had for $7 apiece from Hobby King. With their under 100g shipping rates, you can get two receivers shipped for $19. That's a pretty sweet deal. I love it when stuff is this cheap that you don't have to worry about it getting wrecked.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Wow... $7. Thats insane. Thats a great deal.

RC Qualifier
    My mistake, they're $5.98 apiece. That would be $16.75 shipped for two of them by registered airmail.