RC Qualifier
    striking jealousy into the hearts of all onlookers!

Traxxas new Velineon 540XL Brushless Motor!

1600kV on 6s this thing will be a beast off road !
    I got skills!

RC Enthusiast
    Who runs 6s??

RC Racer
    That looks like a computer rendering of an old Velineon motor (notice that the front of the motor is a separate piece that is screwed onto the can) that has been stretched (Photoshop, etc.) to make it look like a longer motor.

RC Qualifier
    Where did you get this, or is it a hope/photoshop haha and ya 6s is to heavy for this truck i think
    BRUSLESS RULES

I am guessing that is the motor out of the new Traxxas boat.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    too low of kv i think its only 1600kv or something like that, for a nice efficiant set-up you probably would need a 4s minimum (6s would be ideal) and still have to gear it up

yeah its the motor out of the boat, it doesn't have solder tabs like the regular velineon has, comes out the can like a kershaw motor, makes me wonder if traxxas just put there name on another motor
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-09-2010 at 06:22 AM. Reason: merge

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj
    I am guessing that is the motor out of the new Traxxas boat.
    You're right.

http://traxxas.com/products/marine/5...n_features.htm
    Wide Rustler | "Bulldog" Backslash 4x4

I would bet that since Fiegao makes the VXL, this is just a XL Fiegao, made for TRX, in a matching VXL blue.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Champion
    Will be interesting to see if that motor runs happily on 2s / 3s when geared to be as quick as the 3500

Cheers
    Slash Platinum
    SCT MMP / 2400kv

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by crusey_aus
    Will be interesting to see if that motor runs happily on 2s / 3s when geared to be as quick as the 3500

Cheers
    You would be better off using a motor designed for this application. The E-Revo guys might have an opportunity, but not us.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by crusey_aus

Cheers
    With 22/50 gearing on 2s, top speed would only be about 25mph. 3s would get you to around 37mph.

http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/_top_speed.html

Gearing way up and running lower voltage than the motor is intended to use could cause the motor to draw more amperage than it's designed to handle (it might heat up really quick). How about you try it and report back with results?

I don't see this motor being valuable to any Traxxas land vehicle. Why?

The kv is too low and would require 6s power for best results for any of the 2WD vehicle. This could work on the Slash 4x4 again if you want to run 5s or 6s. And in the ERBE or EMBE, the CC combo is just an all around better motor and speed control setup for each. The 1600kv motor on 14 nimh cells(Like Traxxas provides) would have to be geared pretty high to achieve the same results as the CC combo.

They chose this motor particularly for the Boat application, which is completely different than land. In the new boat it is a direct drive to the prop, which means for every 1 motor revolution, the prop turns once. Boating requires lower kv's to be more efficient since the drag and load of a boat is far higher than on land vehicles.
    Emaxx- truggy/CD conversion...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrostarter
    I don't see this motor being valuable to any Traxxas land vehicle. Why?

The kv is too low and would require 6s power for best results for any of the 2WD vehicle. This could work on the Slash 4x4 again if you want to run 5s or 6s. And in the ERBE or EMBE, the CC combo is just an all around better motor and speed control setup for each. The 1600kv motor on 14 nimh cells(Like Traxxas provides) would have to be geared pretty high to achieve the same results as the CC combo.

They chose this motor particularly for the Boat application, which is completely different than land. In the new boat it is a direct drive to the prop, which means for every 1 motor revolution, the prop turns once. Boating requires lower kv's to be more efficient since the drag and load of a boat is far higher than on land vehicles.
    Also water cooling is easy and very effective in boats so the motor is much less likely to overheat.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by candy76man
    Also water cooling is easy and very effective in boats so the motor is much less likely to overheat.
    is there a pump inside the ESC or is the water pushed through the system from going forward with the boat?? could someone make a closed cooling system with a radiator/heatsink for use in a truck?

way to go Traxxas, you just opened a huge can of worms with this new system!
    MMM E-Revo
    VXL Slash 4x4
    VXL Slash 2wd

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by brett_dirtbike
    is there a pump inside the ESC or is the water pushed through the system from going forward with the boat?? could someone make a closed cooling system with a radiator/heatsink for use in a truck?

way to go Traxxas, you just opened a huge can of worms with this new system!

Cooling systemhttp://www.micropumps.co.uk/.

If I can get that new VXL system for cheap, I will run it on 6s in my Slash 4x4 geared for 45-50mph for tall grass with a cooling system.

But I don't think I will find one cheap.

It would be neat.
    I got skills!

RC Champion
    Hate to disappoint you but water cooling in a rc truck would'nt work very well, you need a fairly large radiator and a reservoir of water for it to be effective.
    I say it's easy and effective in a boat because it can constantly pull in cool water from outside the boat, no radiator or reservoir is needed in that case.

RC Qualifier
    Something like this would be big enough.

I wouldn't think it will run that hot anyway. So that might be to big. And a reservoir would be easy to do.

75x50x9mm
    90x cooling elements.

EDIT:You know what, I wouldn't use a reservoir I will just mount a nice fan on the radiator .
    Last edited by fastman; 06-10-2010 at 08:03 PM.
    I got skills!

RC Champion
    A computer CPU water cooling system needs at least a 6x6 inch radiator with a fan the same size to stay cool under load so I doubt that little radiator would cool a motor (and esc) effectively that wants to push 220f after a few minutes, but even if it did work, why bother? it would be much cheaper and less complicated to just get a motor that will do what you want without overheating I would think?

If you want a 6s setup with a big motor I can guarantee you that either the MMM or tekin rx8 systems won't overheat (or even break a sweat) running a slash and will be just as fast and powerfull, if not more so, than a setup with that traxxas 540xl motor.
    Last edited by candy76man; 06-10-2010 at 08:14 PM.