Thread: Bearings

RC Qualifier

Bearings

My bearings are horrible. After a healthy amount of WD40 to get all the packed dirt out, I didnt even see a difference. Since I think they are pretty much dead, I was thinking of getting Avid bearings.

So which ones should I get?
    http://www.avidrc.com/flexkit/?kit=223&kitname=Slash

Thanks
    Bone-Stock Slash FTW!!!

RC Champion
    once you clean them with wd you need to re oil them. clean them again if you must. ive never had a problem bringing a dirt packed bearing back to life.
    Slash 4x4 MMP-HV 5.5
    Slash Sidewinder SC 3800kv

RC Qualifier
    but these are like terrible! I will try and check back in with you guys... But if I couldnt, which ones would you get?
    Bone-Stock Slash FTW!!!

RC Champion
    not sure, havent had any problems with my traxxas bearings
    Slash 4x4 MMP-HV 5.5
    Slash Sidewinder SC 3800kv

If you get new ones. Make sure you get double rubber sealed bearings. Metal sealed ones will fail faster because you cannot remove the seals and completely clean the bearing out.

Avid bearings are good bearings. You can't beat the price either. $1 per bearing is just awesome.

RC Qualifier
    did u remove the seals from around the bearings first before u drowned them in wd 40 if not your wasting your time

besides wd40 is not a lubricant

its a water disperser

it does not dry out either it stays sticky and the dirt will not drop away from it, it sticks to it like honey does to your finger or anything else

remove the bearing covers and wash it out with a brush in something like acetone or methylated spirits

then a drop or two of 3in1 oil
    whack the bearing covers back on the right way

your done

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by CarGuy7a
    If you get new ones. Make sure you get double rubber sealed bearings. Metal sealed ones will fail faster because you cannot remove the seals and completely clean the bearing out.

Avid bearings are good bearings. You can't beat the price either. $1 per bearing is just awesome.
    Would the half rubber sealed ones be okay? Its metal on one side, and rubber on the other.

Quote Originally Posted by stinger30
    did u remove the seals from around the bearings first before u drowned them in wd 40 if not your wasting your time

besides wd40 is not a lubricant

its a water disperser

it does not dry out either it stays sticky and the dirt will not drop away from it, it sticks to it like honey does to your finger or anything else

remove the bearing covers and wash it out with a brush in something like acetone or methylated spirits

then a drop or two of 3in1 oil
    whack the bearing covers back on the right way

your done
    Yes I did remove the seals. Would the dynamite electric cleaner be good for cleaning bearings?
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...tor-Spray-13oz
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-12-2010 at 09:13 PM. Reason: merge
    Bone-Stock Slash FTW!!!

RC Competitor
    I converted all of mine over to Revolutions, still silky smooth, that being said mine is a track only deal...
    MoD SLaSH - 10.5T - 2S - Hellbent LCG Chassis

Quote Originally Posted by RustySlash33
    Would the half rubber sealed ones be okay? Its metal on one side, and rubber on the other.
    Some like them some don't. I don't personally like any metal seals, even if it's only on one side.

I take both seals out of mine and use the RPM bearing blaster. I use either brake cleaner or some stuff called "cut" cleaner to clean them out.

RC Qualifier
    Okay check it out, when you clean your bearings you need to take the blue seal out on both sides with a little dental pick. Then spray them out good with either some contact cleaner or electric motor cleaner until all the gunk is out. Finally, take some kind of 3 in 1 oil or special bearing lube to re-oil the bearing. Place the seals back in and clean off any extra residue. Presto! Your bearings will be like new!