RC Qualifier

Batteries and Chargers: Can you 'splain' me this?

Hey all....

I'm getting ready to build a new RC (1/8 buggy) and while I was checking out battery options I happened to notice that the ******* 5000Mah 40C 4S battery that I was looking at said (in the specs) that it could charge at 5C!!!

Lemme suss this out...5000Mah at 5C would be, what...25amps?!

I've been doing quite a bit of looking lately and I've been hard-pressed to find a charger that did over 5amps. I DID find one or two...but none that went over 15amps. Do they even MAKE a charger that does 25amps? Is it even AFFORDABLE for the average 'joe' (which would probably be a better question)???

If you can provide links for some of the top chargers that handle OVER 15amps...that'd be great.

I want to be able to balance charge at the track in 30 minutes or less...is that DOABLE?

THANKS in advance for your help. I'm not a total newbie here...but this issue has perplexed me for some time now. Currently I have a single AC6 that (as you probably know) can only charge at 5amps. It takes it over an hour to even fast charge my 5200Mah 25C 2S Tenergy battery. TOO long IMO...please help! THANKS!!!
    Paul Valenti

Slash 4X4 #25 (Mark Jenkins)

There are beginning to be lots of chargers capable of higher charge rates.
    http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...S720IV3&cat=19
    http://www.*********.com/*********/s...dProduct=10382

As just a couple.
    However, if your goal is 30 minutes, that's just a 2c charge rate, or 10amps for a 5000mah battery. So that should be relatively easy to find, depending on your budget.
    Cheap 10a http://www.*********.com/*********/s...idProduct=7386

Just remember that the faster the charger will charge, the better power supply is needed, so figure that into your cost. To charge a 4s, at 25amps, would take a charger and power supply capable of 400watts.

Sorry about the hobby king links, you know the deal.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Champion
    Anyone know of any chargers that charge more than 2 lipos at the same time. This lipo switch is all new so sorry for asking. I'd like to charge mine and the wife's batteries pretty quick at the same time! Now don't crucify me for this but why is the power supply needed?
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

Charging multible batteries is a matter of setup. With the correct wires you can generally use any charger, to charge multible packs. However it will only be faster if your charger has enough wattage, to supply the current and voltage needed.

All chargers capable of higher wattage use a seperate power supply to run them. Your power supply needs to be roughly 20% stronger then your charger, to get it's max wattage.
    _
    _

RC Champion
    What about a power supply such as this, http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-138V-40A-520WBTw thanks Asheck for the info.
    Last edited by Dknuckles; 06-13-2010 at 07:38 AM.
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

No problem That's a big expensive one, but supply's plenty, and looks cool. Here's one a little more budget friendly. http://www.feathermerchantrc.com/ The power supply doesn't really need to be great. But IMO the better chargers are better, not just more expensive.

BTW it could be that getting multible chargers could be the easiest for you to do. If your just charging a 2s 5000 or under battery at 1c, then even 50 watt chargers are enough. But doing 2 at a time, or a 2c charge, requires at least 90 watts. So if you were wanting to charge 2 2s batteries , at 1c, then 2 50 watt chargers would be fine.

To figure what you need, take the capacity of the battery, times the charge c rating, and devide by 1000. So 5000mah x 2c = 10000mah/ 1000= 10 amp charge rate. Then take this x the voltage= wattage needed. 10 x 8.4 ( full 2s battery voltage) = 84 watts. All chargers will have some inefficiency, so you need a little headroom.
    _
    _

RC Champion
    Just a suggestion but before you spend a small fortune on a charger of which I agree a quality one is never a bad choice.

Get yourself 2-3 spare batteries and you'll have very little down time.
    MMM/2650, E-maxx Body=FUN !
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4

RC Champion
    iCharger 206B up to 6S 20 amps and 300 watts
    iCharger 208B up to 8S 20 amps and 350 watts
    iCharger 3010B up to 10S 30 amps and 1200 watts
    FMA Cell Lab 8 30 amps 500watts on 12v. 1000 watts on 24v.

iCharger 208B, PS-350 power supply, parallel charging rig for power and balancing = two 4S 5000 mAh packs put in parallel on the charger = 2C charge rate = 30 minutes = 4S @ 20 amps = 336 watts

iCharger 3010 and a proper power supply, parallel charging rig for power and balancing = two 4S 5000 mAh packs put in parallel on the charger = 3C charge rate = 20 minutes = 4S @ 30 amps = 504 watts.

PM me if you need more info or help.

Bob

RC Competitor
    what you can do if your handy with electronics and a soldering iron is get a couple of server power supplys and wire them up in series for 24v at 42a or so plenty of power for chargers and alot cheaper to

www.feathermerchantrc.com

he sells them or you can grab one or two of your own off ebay and get them cheaper he will even wire them up in series for you for a little extra

RC Enthusiast
    Has anyone used the ******* or hobby king charger that can charge and balance 4 lipos at once. Would it be worth it? Thanks for the help

RC Qualifier
    yes, and its a great charger

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 1468racechevy
    Has anyone used the ******* or hobby king charger that can charge and balance 4 lipos at once. Would it be worth it? Thanks for the help
    Max charge rate is 5amps...that's the ONLY reason that one is in my 'consider this' column.
    Paul Valenti

Slash 4X4 #25 (Mark Jenkins)

RC Qualifier
    5 amps is fine for a 5000 mah, plus, if you have 4 charged and ready to go, theres no way you would use thoes by the time the ones on the charger were done ;P

RC Enthusiast
    Are they the same charger just diffrent names or is one better than the other between hobbyiing and ******* 4 battery charges and which do u perfer