RC poster

3D modeling of 3906!

Ok, I am a Mechanical CAD Engineer by trade, and because of the economy, am working sales right now. So, in order to keep up my skills and not get rusty, I have been looking for new projects to model in 3d. Well.......I recently got a 3906 EMAXX that I have been wanting for a while, and it needed broken down and cleaned up. So while it was dawn, I started modeling the componants. Here are a few of the componants, and the assembly as I have it so far. Let me know what you all think!

Chassis:

Full Legnth Skid Plate I designed and want to fab:

Wheel:

Rear End:

Whole thing. Still have to fine trim some parts, and add some, but so far....

RC Qualifier
    Minnesota, hey look it's snowing again...
    Nice it looks realy good! You should design a skid like that for the 3905/3/8 e-maxx. I think alot of people would like to have one like that.(I know I would!)
    Shea

RC Enthusiast
    That looks REALLY good, I did some CAD in my early college days and they looked NOTHING like that, hahah. Very nice work, and yes, some of us 3905/8 owners would LOVE a full skid plate ;-)

RC poster
    I need the dimensions of the 3905 chassis, and I can design it. If someone were to ship me a stock 3905 chassis, I could design one. Then I could have a bunch built, and sell them - reasonably cheap of course, and the donator of the chassis would obviously get one free LOL. any takers?

RC Racer
    looks freakin' awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! great job, i tried cad before, *cough* *cough* didn't do so well. and i would ship you the chassis but i only have a 3906 great job though, keep up the work!

RC Champion
    What would you make the skid out of? Aluminum just bends. If it could be done in spring steel/steel that would be great! I'd send you a chassis and bulks to make a template
    Nothin' like a 4 on the floor and a V8

RC poster
    Ok, do I get to keep them ? LOL ok, well if you send them to me, I will make the plate in 3d, and all the fabrication drawings.

RC Qualifier
    Wicked CAD skills! I was into mechanical drafting and architecture in high school and my first year of college and really enjoyed drafting all kinds of prodjects on the computer, it was the hand drafting and the old stuck in the dark age professors that really turned me off to it and crushed my hopes of a career in this field. I got nothing but A's in high school and absolutely loved being around all things that had to do with designing and creative. I loved discussing building codes and computer drafting floor plans and such. I'll admit im smart but not Frank Lloyd Wright brillant by any means. Perspective and hand drafting were my worst fortays. I can draw allot of things just not floor plans All in all I got D's in college and my blond bombshell girlfriend got A's for doing the EXACT same hand drawings with the same line weights that got me failing grades, fishy right??? The only class I did good in was auto CAD with a female professor, I seriously beleive to this day this two bone heads (Harvey Berg and Its been so long I dont remember the other guys name)had it out for me. Ill stop rambling about my own downfalls and just want to say you have an awesome talent and hope you get to share it with alot of (paying people.

RC Enthusiast
    Nice drafting skills! Don't worry, I actually am an architect and I am nowhere near the intellect of Frank Lloyd Wright either!

How about a challenge for the OP, I'd like to see some tread on those tires! Slicks are cool, but seeing some chevrons, some badlands, or for a real challenge some "real" tread like HPI GT's or something.

RC Qualifier
    nice looking skid plate design, have u got one for a summit by any chance?

RC Qualifier
    Thats awesome! I downloaded autodesk inventor 2011 a week ago and started on making a 3 inch extended lcg chassis for my erbe but havnt gotten far lol. I just havnt had much time. Your skills are much better than mine but Ill get there some day as im only a sophmore in HS.
    Are you an RC addict?

RC poster
    Well, I will put the treads on the tires, just havn't had time to do it yet. I also have to put in all the fasteners, and a lot more. I just got back from STL (13 hr court date!) I will be working on it some more now. I am still waiting to see if anyone has a 3905 chassis and braces they are willing to ship me to do some designs on (including the skid plate) I will probably make the skid out of aluminum for now, but will eventually go 1 of 2 ways with it. 1) fabricate out of Titanium, or 2) design a bulkhead brace that will tie into the skid plate. The only downfall to option 2 is that it will HAVE to be used with aluminum bulkheads, as any impact will transfer kinetic energy through the chassis, and will snap the stock ones like toothpicks! If it is used with aluminum chassis braces, and bulkheads, then the impact will transfer straight through the chassis and the skid plate will not bend that way.

dtnel,
    All of those are definitely possible, I would need the stock equipment to model in order to reverse engineer and design the components. Not hard if I have the stock parts though. Again, if anyone is willing to ship me the stock parts I need, and maybe break me off a little something for the time to do it, I can design it all in 3D, Rendered, and with all the fabrication drawings needed for any fabrication shop to build, pretty much anything you can dream up!

Nate
    "MAD MAXX!"

RC Enthusiast
    I wish I had the chassis, bulks, and braces to send you, couldn't hurt right lol. I spend this months R/C budget already on some batteries...I may take a crack at CAD again now that you inspired me! haha

RC poster
    I am working on the hinge pins right now, then I will probably do the tires. I am gonna model the ones I have on my truck now instead of the stock ones. I finally tried them out and the grip a lot better. Completely stock a jab of the throttle will wheelie pretty good!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Grand National's Avatar
    Looks pretty awesome in my books, that must of took you forever!
    Casper - 2001 Dodge Cummins (my baby)

RC poster
    Not really. I do it at work while I'm on the phones! LOL

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD MAXX!
    Full Legnth Skid Plate I designed and want to fab:
    I love this CAD drafts good job !

I had bought a GPM center skid plate which looks like yours :

But this skid isn't produced anymore now... It was a great idea !

RC poster

Hi, Can you uplad picture with measurment?

sorry for my english!

thx

This thread is almost 5.5 years old. I doubt the participants are watching it.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    I forgot all about this tread
    Morten SnoopMaxx
    3906 ROCKSTAR Makita
    c",)

RC poster
    do you still have .STL files or 3D files of the BULKHEADS i am not good at this 3d software image making process e-mail me if you like or i am on google + just type in chadbrailer in 3d printing

RC poster
    still open?
    whats a signature?