RC Competitor

Drag Racing set up

My local Hobbytown is putting on a Sled pull/ Drag race the weekend after the 4th, just for grins I thought about doing the drag racing.
    I went up there today to pick up a few parts, one of the kids that works there was telling me he did pretty good with his 4x4, but he was running 3s on the 18t.
    I only have 2s, but I did install the 18t today for the first time, since I usually run short course, I had no need for it.
    The truck actually ran pretty fast with it, and the motor didnt get too hot, even with it around 94F outside.

This is what I have to work with...
    VXL motor
    2S lipo
    Mamba Max ESC
    18t
    54 spur
    Proline Powerstrokes
    Proline Caliber M2's ( old race tires, nearly bald now anyways)

I dont plan on dropping any real money into this, as its just a one shot deal, and i've done a good bit of drag racing at the track when I was in high school, im pretty good on the tree, which is where I think my advantage is going to be.
    Its only a 135' long track.
    What are some of ya'lls suggestions as far as suspension adjustments?
    Im currently running a modified version of Slaydens set up and its working great at my track.

Thanks in advance,
    -Doogie=

RC Racer
    well as far as the sled pull. I would lock the slipper and gear as low as i possiably could. as far as drag raceing gear high and again lock the slipper.
    I saw a youtube video where a rockcrawler and a 4x4 slash did a tug of war and the way the crawler was geared it easly pulled the slash 4x4 where it wanted. lol

RC Competitor
    Im not going to mess with the sled pull, but as far as locking the slipper, do you mean tightening it all the way down?

RC Qualifier
    Put on some heavy springs, the firm sway bars, and drop down to the 50t spur gear.
    Censorship is wrong

RC Champion
    Are you running the stk slipper gear or centre diff?, stick to the stk slipper
    MMM/2650, E-maxx Body=FUN !
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4

RC Qualifier
    use a 50T Spur with the biggest pinion you can find. I was running a 25T pinion and 50T spur on my set up but it was just too much for the track, but for drag racing it'd be great!
    Slash 4x4 PE - MMM 2650, Losi 8ight 2.0 Shocks

RC Competitor
    If you really want to help use some JB weld or something similar to lock the front and rear diffs. Since you don't want to spend much I'm guessing that's out of the question for you because you'd need to replace both afterwards. Look at tower. I know that someone makes a 500k diff fluid that would be the next best thing and still allow you to change it back to normal.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
    use a 50T Spur with the biggest pinion you can find. I was running a 25T pinion and 50T spur on my set up but it was just too much for the track, but for drag racing it'd be great!
    Interesting... which battery were u using with that setup ? It's almost 280% work efficiency. 1 tun on motor makes 2.8 turns on wheel given stock tires. I do think that will heat up your motor too much.

But it does show a rated speed of 68 mph on 2S and 100 mph on 3S.

But is it really doable ? Heat issues ? how did you cope with that ?
    Slash 4x4 Ultimate, Slash 2WD, SCX10 Defender 90

RC Champion
    umm i think youve worked something out wrong Le0. By that math the wheels would spin over 100,000 rpm on a 3s lipo.
    rtr slash 4x4
    2s lipo
    some other rc stuff

RC Competitor
    Its only 135ft though.
    He should be ok, but will 135 ft be enough room to get up to speed?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit
    umm i think youve worked something out wrong Le0. By that math the wheels would spin over 100,000 rpm on a 3s lipo.
    Isn't that possible in theory ?

This is the excel sheet which provides Pinion & Spur setup VS speed and Work Efficiency chart.

So the chart tells you what is the "load" on the system given a particular setup.... the idea here was to let us know that factor stated as "work ratio" if you try to multiply that with total PRM yes you will see the tires go above what you mentioned.... but thats the whole idea i think.... to show that happening on chart so we don't go for those pinions / spur combinations with a particular Kv motor... I.e. keep the Work Ratio or Work Efficiency from 90% to somewhere around 200. If you go outside this range, then heat comes in...

I hope i clarified the concept behind the sheet
    Last edited by Le0Heart; 07-03-2010 at 08:46 AM.
    Slash 4x4 Ultimate, Slash 2WD, SCX10 Defender 90

RC Champion
    With using just what you have the easiest and cheapest thing to do is to take tie straps and strap your arms to the shock towers. You just wrap the tie strap around the arm and around the shock tower near the shocks and as you tighten the tie straps it lowers your ride height. You want you truck almost touching the ground because when your tires balloon you will have plenty of ride height. You will out handle and out accelerate the rest of the competition. Oh yeah, one more thing, don't tell any of your competetors your sercets!
    Alvin
    HARDCORR RACING

RC Racer
    i dont know how much its like pulling with a diesel at the truck pulls but the name of the game is torque and traction
    4x4 slash
    08 F350 6.4 diesel

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ4x4
    well as far as the sled pull. I would lock the slipper and gear as low as i possiably could. as far as drag raceing gear high and again lock the slipper.
    I saw a youtube video where a rockcrawler and a 4x4 slash did a tug of war and the way the crawler was geared it easly pulled the slash 4x4 where it wanted. lol
    That's embarrasing, lol
    PLEASE do not PM me and immediately go offline :p

http://m.youtube.com/watch?gl=CA&cli...&v=bsZ7ofzmO10

I believe this is what you are talking about. A slash 4x4 getting drug around.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?gl=CA&cli...&v=bsZ7ofzmO10

I believe this is what you are talking about. A slash 4x4 getting drug around.

Now thats funny
    MMM/2650, E-maxx Body=FUN !
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by round
    With using just what you have the easiest and cheapest thing to do is to take tie straps and strap your arms to the shock towers. You just wrap the tie strap around the arm and around the shock tower near the shocks and as you tighten the tie straps it lowers your ride height. You want you truck almost touching the ground because when your tires balloon you will have plenty of ride height. You will out handle and out accelerate the rest of the competition. Oh yeah, one more thing, don't tell any of your competetors your sercets!
    Alvin
    I like that idea!
    Quick, easy... dont have to jack any of my adjustments up to make it work...and it makes sense.

Im not doing the sled pull...sorry... I aint that redneck!!!
    I think i'll just drop the 18t in it, strap the suspension down, and tree the heck outta them!
    Like I was saying, this is just a one shot deal for fun, I run SC, and this is a SC truck, definitely not a drag truck!
    Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

RC Champion
    Cool. The tie straps were my secret for a long time when we were doing speed run competitions with the erbe. No one could keep theirs on the ground at top speed. This was my fastest. 76.7mph
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuhyL1srmVE
    HARDCORR RACING