RC Racer

Lipo with XL-5 Question

Who makes a good low voltage cutoff so I can run Lipos with my XL-5? Novak says theirs does not work.
    -Eric
    Jato 3.3
    MERV
    Slash 2wd

RC Champion
    None work. You'll need to get a lipo alert and stop by yourself when it beeps.

RC Champion
    How can an external LVC not work? Just get either a 2s or 3s LVC depending on your battery and install it as normal between the ESC and radio.
    E-Maxx 3905 - Rustler 3707 - Slash 5805

RC Champion
    And watch as your car randomly speeds up or stutters away when the LVC is reached. They don't work with the XL-5, that is a confirmed fact.

RC Champion
    you need an alarm

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Yeah, I tried it on an XL5... definitely doesnt work. But I got an LVA on e-bay for $5 shipped. Ive used it on my villain and it works fine. On a boat its a bit hard to hear under the canopy but on a truck it would be more than loud enough.

This is one peeps are sill trying to figure out, a LVC should work, but doesn't...
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Champion
    Well, that's extremely strange then. Does something similar happen if you yank the ESC wire out of the radio receiver while it's turned on?

My thinking is maybe it doesn't like getting cut off from the radio or something similar.

RC Qualifier
    I own a couple of these and like them.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Lipo-Battery-low...item2308756a0d
    VXL Slash, Castle Slash, XL-5 Rusty, 2002 Pede

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by orion
    Well, that's extremely strange then. Does something similar happen if you yank the ESC wire out of the radio receiver while it's turned on?

My thinking is maybe it doesn't like getting cut off from the radio or something similar.

LVCs don't just cut off the signal wire (this would be catastrophic if the receiver has no failsafe, the car would continue at the same speed until the next wall). Most of them first reduce the speed for some seconds to give you a chance to get the car out of the way/off the track, then set the throttle signal to neutral (not "gone").

RC Racer
    I've also got a couple of the ones quoted above from ebay. they work like a charm! no probs so far, except for the annoying beep beep, but that's why we have them anyways. beep beep beeep
    The Most Bashable/Washable Truck of the Year

RC Racer
    Since I ran my slash racing with the 3000mah stock battery, could I just use my 5000mah lipos? The NiMH's never ran down during the 5min heats. I did get spanked b/c everyone else was running lipo. I thought "stock slash category" meant batteries too, but I guess not.
    -Eric
    Jato 3.3
    MERV
    Slash 2wd

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    A $5 LVA will let you run lipos on a stock slash XL5... why not get one? For $5 it seems silly to risk a lipo.

RC Champion
    Well that makes sense. For some reason I just assumed LVCs actually cut off the throttle signal, didn't click in my head about how ESCs don't like literally getting cut off.

Has Traxxas made any sort of comment on the issue?

I can't imagine the XL-5 has a special requirements for the throttle signal as that would make it incompatible with most radio receivers, right?

RC Qualifier
    can't you just drive the car until it starts slowing down a little, then stop? I wanted to know if you can run a 3s 11.1v on the XL-5 esc?

RC Champion
    When it starts slowing down, you're already below the safe level and will damage the lipo bit by bit each time. A lipo keeps up its voltage level almost until the very end. And no, you can't run 3S on the XL-5. It and the motor can't handle it.

RC Qualifier
    Rancho Tehama or Red Bluff area or California
    Yep just a the one with the dual horns on ebay from china. YOu will get it quickly. I sealed mine up with some silicone and made it more water proof. Because I run titan on my basher. And then I zip tied it to the battery hold down.
    Broken parts=New better parts

RC Qualifier
    so I can still run a 2s lipo with my XL-5, but should get that horn thing?

RC Qualifier
    Rancho Tehama or Red Bluff area or California
    Yep! Thats all you have to. Order that cheap part but then again ten dollars is ten dollars now days. It is loud with dual horns. And once you get. Just zip tie it to the battery hold down bracket. so the lipo balancing plug will reach it.
    Broken parts=New better parts