RC Competitor

Best quality roll cage

Anyone have testimony for their best roll cage and where to buy it?

I just got back from my local CONCRETE skate park and I am totally hooked. Some of the walls are 12 feet and I took some nasty spills, so I am thinking a roll cage would pay for itself quickly.

I never had any idea it would be that cool. The grass might just grow over the track in my back yard... jk.

Thanks experts.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 07-29-2010 at 11:23 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Rollcage city makes really strong ones, and they look sweet!

Heres mine custom painted blue. They come in a nice chrome.

RC Competitor
    Wow that does look good. Would you say it can take a hammering. I am riding 12 ft vert walls and this morning I flipped one from the top of an 8 ft and landed straight on the back. Ouch!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyhawksurf
    Wow that does look good. Would you say it can take a hammering. I am riding 12 ft vert walls and this morning I flipped one from the top of an 8 ft and landed straight on the back. Ouch!
    Yup, it will take a bashing. I took mine off a 8ft half pipe and laned top down onto an edge of a bench, didnt even bend...chipped the paint a little that was it.

RC Competitor
    That's what I need then. I looked at the website and it looks like the 3906 cage can make it a pain to get the batteries in and out.

Yours looks so much better than the 3906.

I just tried to order it from them online and at the completion of my order it wouldn't process, so maybe I will call them later today.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-29-2010 at 10:58 PM. Reason: merge

RC Competitor
    How many contact points does the VG racing roll cage have? It looks like it just hooks to the back bulks and then to the bumper mounts. Also any idea how much that cage weighs? I'm torn between the RCS cage and the VG cage, the RC cage just looks so much lighter.

RC Champion
    I make my own, this one fits a 3906 and a 3908

Morten
    Last edited by SnoopMaxx; 07-29-2010 at 11:55 AM.
    Morten SnoopMaxx
    3906 ROCKSTAR Makita
    c",)

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoothies
    How many contact points does the VG racing roll cage have? It looks like it just hooks to the back bulks and then to the bumper mounts. Also any idea how much that cage weighs? I'm torn between the RCS cage and the VG cage, the RC cage just looks so much lighter.
    Yup your right, its just mounts behind each bumper and theres a peace near the back that rest on the chassis near the bulk. Id say it weighs about 1-1.5lbs

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SnoopMaxx
    I make my own, this one fits a 3906 and a 3908

Morten
    Wow thats one good looking cage. you ought to start selling them
    2wd Slash VXL, 2wd Slash 9t , E Maxx 2200kv ,Trx4

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by crazee horse
    Wow that's one good looking cage. you ought to start selling them
    Hmm ...Don't tell Popoxx.. 'cos then He wants one LOL

Morten
    Last edited by SnoopMaxx; 07-29-2010 at 04:25 PM.
    Morten SnoopMaxx
    3906 ROCKSTAR Makita
    c",)

RC Competitor
    Cool custom cage!

Slim, Roll Cage City hooked it up today. I talked to the guy on the phone for a little while and he was totally cool. Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    which one are you guys buying? i didn't see one for the new e-maxx on the website...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyhawksurf
    Cool custom cage!

Slim, Roll Cage City hooked it up today. I talked to the guy on the phone for a little while and he was totally cool. Thanks.
    Your going to like it! Im getting mine sandblasted and power coated tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSnakeJake
    which one are you guys buying? i didn't see one for the new e-maxx on the website...

The should have them for both 3905 and 3906. I got mine off ebay but it was from rollcage city, It was like $10 cheeper then off there site!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-29-2010 at 10:58 PM. Reason: merge

I think that's the cage I have on my truck and I actually just bent it tonight bashing. I tried out 6s for the first time (WOW is all I can say) and I tried doing a double backflip off my wall that lines the driveway and I did 1.5, landed straight on the cage and actually bent it, right where the "bed" area meets the "cab". I am 99 percent sure it's the same cage, since they look identical, not positive though. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

I feel like I may have gotten an earlier version of the cage. CLICK HERE to see a video of my truck but at the end there is a good shot of the cage.

Watch it in 720p and lemme know what you think.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-30-2010 at 02:31 PM. Reason: merge
    Some like R/C's that are fast, others like nitro

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSnakeJake
    It's best to call the guy. His website needed to be updated. He was cool about it and we had to go looking around a little bit to find the one like Slim's. I told the guy that it just didn't look like the one Slim posted on the forum and then the guy (Dan) took me right to it. His shop is in LA, so keep in mind that is West coast time

HE ALSO SAID he was going to have the shop closed all next week for a rare vacation he is taking with his son, but I think you can email him.

Getting ready to check out streetdemons video... that was really sweet. I wanna see the attempt at the double backflip.

Getting ready for it. With the cage, FLM chassis(can't say enough about it, this thing is SERIOUSLY rigid), RPM arms, and aluminum bulks this thing is pretty darn bashproof. My durability test tends to be tree flipping, and this handled that like a champ. I have landed on one wheel from about 10-15 feet up from flipping and the only casualties after about 2 hours of "durability testing" the truck is running fantastically. Only casualties being a couple stripped wheel hexes. 14 mm wheels can't handle the power. I also bent one rim from an awkward landing, but the truck is solid.

EDIT: Also, I was running on 4s and low start power and 50 percent punch control on the MMM. So I would bet that the double backflip off the ground may even be possible with just ESC settings and my street tires.

RC Competitor
    wow nice roll cage looks tough

RC Competitor
    Hey streetdemon. Put it into laymans terms for me. So the Chasis is the base plate that everything mounts to and you got the alum arms and bulkhead. Is that really all the alum. I did get the body post's alum, but I guess that will not matter as much witht the roll cage. I really want to bash more than fix, so I am trying to have this thing set up.

RC Qualifier
    Heres a little update on my rollcage. Im stripped off all the blue paint and added some more peaces to make it even stronger!! Iv still got a few more peaces to add on still but its almost done.

Im still not sure what colour i wanna go with it tho, im thinking a darker blue (like the springs) or maybe black. Orrrrr i might go way off and do somekinda crazy green or orange colour, we'll see i still have lots of time to think about it.

These pictures are the stock ver. from Rollcage City site.

These are ones of mine, You can see what i have added on.

This is what i still wanna add on to the cage, I might add more too but im donno yet,

Whatcha guys think??

Looks good, but in my opinion there is still something needed. My cage is just about trashed now from a few rollovers on a steep hill. Right where the "bed" meets the cab part, it WILL crease if you don't add some triangular bracing, possibly much the way that a trophy truck does. As the cages sit it really is a weak point where they can bend. I also managed to break off one of the welds for the support that's supposed to bottom out on the chassis when force is applied to the top. How are you adding to the cage? Is it wire welding or stick welding? It looks good. I would love to add to mine, just gotta find some steel.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by streetdemon
    Looks good, but in my opinion there is still something needed. My cage is just about trashed now from a few rollovers on a steep hill. Right where the "bed" meets the cab part, it WILL crease if you don't add some triangular bracing, possibly much the way that a trophy truck does. As the cages sit it really is a weak point where they can bend. I also managed to break off one of the welds for the support that's supposed to bottom out on the chassis when force is applied to the top. How are you adding to the cage? Is it wire welding or stick welding? It looks good. I would love to add to mine, just gotta find some steel.
    Stick welding. I know what you mean about it creasing, mine has done that too but its not alot. If i find away to add more steel to it with it not beeing in the way of anything i will be adding some.

RC Qualifier
    I had a VG Racing roll cage on my old e-maxx, and it held up to anything I could throw at it.
    Stampede XL1 turned VXL and Rustler XL-5

RC Qualifier
    Heres a little update on my cage, Its all done and painted.

RC Competitor
    VG roll cage review: (I'm sure this is obvious to many of you and probably old news)

Had to exchange the original shipped roll cage. I like the longer chasis cage, but it does not fit the 3906. The battery access is a bit of a pain unlike the newer cages. There is a weight addition I did not completely realize, but that was a necessary sacrifice.

The cage performance was very well. Only light testing, but it handled quite a few rolls and about a 5 ft drop on the topside. I am very satisfied with the cage and expect to test it further in a few more rigorous exercises soon.

okay. This probably the last roll cage update. I went back to the park and really got to take some good digs this time with the roll cage. I am impressed and I figured out how to get the batteries out. The cage def keeps me from replacing the body posts every five mins.

I am stoked with the cage.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 08-21-2010 at 09:48 PM. Reason: merge
    Hurts to much to skate 'cause I'm old, so I bash.

RC Qualifier
    ^^ I knew you would like it! Its 100x better then the RCS rollcage. They clame you cant break it or bent it...something like that and i did both! My VG cage so far has taken eveything i could toss at it!

Get some pictures posted when u can!!

RC Competitor
    Thanks man. Yours looks so much sweeter than the old style, but it is def getting the job done. It sure is a lot less maintenence.
    Hurts to much to skate 'cause I'm old, so I bash.