Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey All

RC Qualifier

Hey All

Back from the dead! Old name here, been around since 2006 or so, but have been out of the R/C scene for quite a while. I've been into cars since I got my license 2.5 years ago, and I've got a 2002 Ford Focus with quite a few mods (but currently has a blown engine) and my current daily driver is a '94 Ford Ranger 2.3L 2WD 5 speed. I'm not new to R/C like I said, my first R/C I got 7 years ago (which is the stampede I'll be talking about soon), I've had an E-maxx with alot of mods (hence my screename, unfortunately had to sell a couple years ago), A Revo 2.5r, and I still have my Rustler XL-5 sitting around. Decided I needed something to relieve stress when things with my real cars are getting on my nerves

The Stampede hasn't ran in a long time, It's been sitting in the corner of my garage for probably 3 years, so I took it apart last night and took a toothbrush to it and clean it all out and put it back together. I blew the XL-1 in it a while ago, so last night I went and searched eBay and bought a whole slew of things for the truck. I bought:

Novak GTS Speed Control
    Trinity Speed Gems 13t Motor
    Integy Castor blocks w/ new suspension pins and e-clips
    Aluminum 84 tooth 48 pitch spur gear
    Pro-Line Hammer M3 Tires for my Pro-Line Wheels

Going to be swapping over my JR XR2i from my Rustler over into the stampede, and then probably sell my Rustler to re-coop from the money I just spent, haha. I'll get some pictures for the truck as I go, nothing special right now. In the mean time, here's pictures of my two real vehicles.

The daily driver/winter beater Ranger

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...tuff/004-1.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...tuff/003-1.jpg

My baby '02 Focus

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...s/DSC00269.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...s/DSC00267.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...s/DSC00270.jpg
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 07-30-2010 at 06:12 PM.
    Stampede XL1 turned VXL and Rustler XL-5

RC Qualifier
    Here's the truck as it stands. Decided that this will be my on-going build thread if you will.

Been thinking about getting a VXL trans too.

Keep all images to a width of 640 pixels or less.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 07-30-2010 at 06:15 PM.

RC Qualifier
    this pede as good potenial
    Jesus, Lights, RC

RC Champion
    your story is almost exactly like mine. i was in rc 5 years ago and just started back up a few months ago. a lot has changed and it will surprise you. i know i was very surprised with brushless motors and lipos. when i first got into rc i didnt get electric because of the run times and horrible motors. so i got nitro. now, electric is faster and runs for 20-30 min on a charge. i still love the nitro but electric is so much more care free.

now its like i was never gone.

so good luck to you!
    Slash 4x4 MMP-HV 5.5
    Slash Sidewinder SC 3800kv

A brushed 13-turn Trinity Speed Gems? What are you planning to gear it? The 84-tooth spur gear is not a great way to start. I'd start 12/86 or 12/90 with those 4-7/8" tall shoes & watch the temps.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Enthusiast
    Well first off the must say that your focus is Surprisingly Very nice, Since i hate ford and their focus. But Yours isn't all riced out and looks Kinda mean. I like it, Now onto your stampede i would of just bought a vxl system for it. I think you could of gotten a used 1 for around 120$? not real sure but i think there around there, it would run alot better.

RC Qualifier
    Maybe in the future I'll get a VXL system, but for now it'll be good.

Yes it's a brushed Trinity. I just got the same version of the stock spur gear, so I may try what you suggested. Thanks guys!

EDIT: Just ordered a Robinson 12T Pinion gear.
    Last edited by VGCaged_Emaxx; 07-31-2010 at 12:37 AM.

RC Qualifier
    yeah or cheaper i grabbed a vxl waterproof esc for $56 and motors run $45
    Jesus, Lights, RC

RC Qualifier
    Well I'll look on eBay for the setup. I would love to have brushless over the brushed setup.

RC Enthusiast
    Here Vgcaged 90 for esc and motor. http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=529980 Not sure if it has sold yet but probably should ask.

RC Qualifier
    yeah i saw that deal its the best i've seen yet and its waterproof go for it bfor it gets taken man!
    Jesus, Lights, RC

RC Qualifier
    Unfortunately that was sold. Also picked up a JR Z590M off of eBay for $25 shipped brand new take-off servo.

RC Qualifier
    Got one side of my Integy Castor blocks on, found out that for some reason, the screw on the right side that holds the bottom of the castor block onto the suspension arm is different than the right screw, it has threads all the way down it, so I have to go get the right screw for it tomorrow.

RC Qualifier
    I appear to be talking to myself in here

Got my castor blocks on, and got my battery hold-down in the mail today. MUCH better setup than the old hold-down, permanently keeps the receiver in place. Yes I know the tires are backwards, they were just thrown on quickly for pictures. You can also see my botched solder job from about 4 years ago on my battery!

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ssRC/001-2.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ssRC/002-2.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ssRC/003-2.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ssRC/004-1.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...lessRC/005.jpg

Still waiting on my ESC, Motor, Tires, Pinion and Spur Gears, and my ESC Mounting Plate.

Keep all images to a width of 640 pixels or less.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 08-03-2010 at 10:57 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Ill be interested to hear how the integy castors hold up. They have some hit and miss products... maybe this one is a hit... keep us informed.
    I like the tire/wheel combo... looks really nice.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks! I apparently keep going over the size requirements lol.

I'll let you know about the castors. I had integy skid plates on my e-maxx...never again. The bent way too much.

RC Qualifier
    My girlfriend has the same focus you do, its even the same color!

Did you do any motor mods of any kind to it, or is it all show and no go?
    Mr nitro? Not since going brushless!

RC Qualifier
    It's got a header, flex pipe, and cat off of an SVT Focus, and a 2.5" stainless steel mandrel bent borla flex-back system. Also a Volant cold air intake, and a 91 octane tune. Unfortunately like I said, it's got a blown motor right now. Had 176k on it when it went.

RC Qualifier
    Okay, so I picked up a used VXL system on eBay just now for about $100 shipped haha. So time to sell the ESC and Motor again. I'm going to sell my XL-5 Rustler too that has a Novak XRS ESC and Speed Gems 17T Motor to recoop my $100 lol.

RC Qualifier
    Got my tires glued and mounted, and got my Servo in (appears to be a JR Z590M rebadged as a Spektrum, it was pulled from a Sportwerks I believe?) Also found the body from my rustler at a friend's house. Definitely needs lower body mounts...suggestions anybody? Found my original receipt from when I bought it, and the date was November 3, 2003. So I've had it for 7 years haha. Drove my buddy's VXL stampede on a 2S Venom Lipo and holy crap it's got some power. Anyway, pictures.

Tires are stupid soft, I glued them with alot of glue, so hopefully they don't blow off the wheel when the tires are ballooning.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 08-06-2010 at 01:52 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    What tires/rims are those. That's a cool looking truck. Its gonna fly with the vxl.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Qualifier
    They are Pro-line Masher Tires on Pro-line wheels, although I don't remember what the name of the wheels are.

RC Qualifier
    beautiful MT!
    Jesus, Lights, RC

Quote Originally Posted by VGCaged_Emaxx
    They are Pro-line Masher Tires on Pro-line wheels, although I don't remember what the name of the wheels are.
    Those are actually Pro-Line "Chisel" tires. The wheels may be Pro-Line "Agitators".

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl
    Those are actually Pro-Line "Chisel" tires. The wheels may be Pro-Line "Agitators".
    Actually the package says they're Hammer's. Not entirely sure why I said Masher's...

They are the Agitators now that you mention it. I've had them for a long time.

Actually the package says they're Hammer's. Not entirely sure why I said Masher's...

They are the Agitators now that you mention it. I've had them for a long time.
    Isn't that what I said?
    No, well close. I guess the Hammers aren't being made anymore - they have disappeared from Pro-Line's website.

Hammer............................................ ..Chisel

RC Qualifier
    Yeah they look oddly similar. Like I said they're really soft, so I don't know how well they'll do with the brushless.

RC Qualifier
    Lowered the body on it too, friend gave me a rustler front mount, and I lowered my rear mount. Looks much better. Will get some pictures when more of my stuff comes in.

RC Qualifier
    New pictures today. Additions include an RPM Slash front bumper, Traxxas wheelie bar, and I replaced the diff in the trans with one from a VXL. My ESC mount came in the mail today, so I put that in and relocated the receiver. Also the body has been lowered.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Just a thought, but for the extra $25 it would cost, it might be worth upgrading to the torque control slipper and 32p gearing. Youd need the top shaft, slipper setup and a 32p spur and pinion. Total cost would be maybe $25 or $30 ish. But with VXL power that older pin style slipper may not last long.

RC Qualifier
    My friend has the same style trans and has been running his stampede with a VXL for a while now. It's something to consider if it does happen to break.

While it's not a bad idea, the older-style slipper can handle brushless power without a problem. It's a strange fact, seeing as it was never designed for a power like that.

When are you installing the Thin Mints?
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 08-09-2010 at 06:13 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Haha, never!! Just a bunch of random bolts/nuts/washers in there. Looks like the VXL should be here tomorrow.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    That looks nice with a low mount. Did you have any problem with the body rubbing the front tires? Pro-trac will widen it a bit for ya.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Qualifier
    No problems that I can tell.

RC Qualifier
    Got the VXL setup in and it's definitely very fast! Even with my 3300 6 cell SxS. Ordered factory VXL bearing carriers with bearings off of ebay tonight, so that will be the next upgrade. Also found that my front tires do catch the body when they're fully turned, so I'm either going to buy the pro-trac suspension kit or do some trimming to the body.

RC Qualifier
    Got the VXL setup in and it's definitely very fast! Even with my 3300 6 cell SxS. Ordered factory VXL bearing carriers with bearings off of ebay tonight, so that will be the next upgrade. Also found that my front tires do catch the body when they're fully turned, so I'm either going to buy the pro-trac suspension kit or do some trimming to the body.
    EDIT: Just ordered an Integy Roll Cage. So we'll see how well that holds up. I like not having to throw a body on all the time, it was really nice on my E-maxx.

RC Qualifier
    EDIT: Just ordered an Integy Roll Cage. So we'll see how well that holds up. I like not having to throw a body on all the time, it was really nice on my E-maxx.
    nice i have it as well and i love it!!!!!! the roll cage!!!
    Jesus, Lights, RC

RC Qualifier
    I have a 2004 Pede and I upgraded the hubs to bearing carriers and you'll LOVE them. The front wheels spin and spin..... and spin
    VXL Slash, Castle Slash, XL-5 Rusty, 2002 Pede

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, can't wait! Especially for the roll cage.

EDIT: Just went out to run it off the edge of the sandtrap. Was getting some air and blew the top of my shock off haha. So sounds like shock upgrade time. Friend also broke his shock in the exact same corner, he has the Piggyback Integy shocks.
    Last edited by VGCaged_Emaxx; 08-12-2010 at 08:20 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast