Thread: Home Made Jerky

RC Champion

Home Made Jerky

I was curious to see if anybody makes thier own jerky or even thier own sausage. My friends and family crave my home made jerky and sausage. What I use are Nesco American Harvest Garden Master Deydrators along with a LEM Jerky Cannon and a variety of Nesco and Lem seasoings along with my own blends for sticks strips or sliced meats. It's like crack for kids, but it's healthy.
    Anyone else make thier own.
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Champion
    It's been a while. I have really been wanting to get back into it, not just because it's a huge money saver, but also because I'm boycotting Jack Links after I nearly ate a massive chunk of bone - a little bigger than your average pinion gear.

It's probably been over a year since I last made my own, so I don't recall the exact method I was using, but I would use a whole round steak, cut it into strips, marinate it (I forget what I would use, but it was good) overnight, slap in into the dehydrator, then check on every few hours until it was done...or close enough to being done that I couldn't resist chowing down.

Lots of ground peppercorns is mandatory.
    ◄▲▼► SUMMIT ●○●○● 2 RUSTLER VXL's ●○●○● MERV ◄▲▼►

RC Champion
    Theres quite a few hispanic grocery stores here that sell a cut of meat called bistec de bola. It's sliced peeled knuckle about 1/8 inch thick. Great for jerky.
    But since I'm lucky enough to work in a slaughter house I buy 93/7 and some times rib eye if I catch it low enough.
    I used to have a problem with family and friends eating all my jerky. So I had this huge bbq and was dehydrating a a bunch of sticks. I used a bottle of Daves Insanity Sauce and Blairs 3am on a smaller batch. Now they all ask, especially the wifey...

RC Champion
    Things have different names in different areas, but in the grocery store the knuckle is generally labeled as sirloin tip steak, with it's thinner sliced counterpart sometimes referred to as chipped steak. At least around here.

If anyone cares.
    ◄▲▼► SUMMIT ●○●○● 2 RUSTLER VXL's ●○●○● MERV ◄▲▼►

RC Racer
    we make jerky year round. we hunt evey year in eastern washingtion, we normally get a mule deer which makes good jerky as long as you season it right.

we also have the butcher season some sausage which is pretty good.
    Sig Sauer M400
    S&W M&P15
    Remington 1911 R1

RC Racer
    I make my own venison jerky using the nesco orginal for seasoning. Sometimes i add a little hot sauce for pep. We also make our own venison sausage using an old recipe passed down through the generations. Cold smoke it for a week and nothing else can compare. This thread is getting me excited for hunting season.

RC Champion
    I used to to make a 100 lbs in a day! I cut back because of time. Theres so many flavors you can experiment with, dry seasoning or liquids. People try it and become hooked. A lb of jerky makes for a great trade.

RC Qualifier
    I make my own polish weiners. They are really tasty when I use the spices from my spice garden!
    Bone-Stock Slash FTW!!!

another Jerky lover here simply use a round steak, slice it up, marinate with hickory smoke, and then numerous different flavours depending what I'm after at the time. Leave it marinate for 2-3 days and into the dehydrator it goes, a good few hours later it's ready and i nearly eat the lot of it
    infowars.com

RC Qualifier
    i LOVE LOVE BEF JERKY oh boy i want some know
    Stupid 50 character Limit!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    i have never had any but after reading this i think i should try it
    merv and erbe

RC Champion
    Slim Jims are oily and leave a bad after taste, but yet still addictive. Most store bought jerky doesn't hold a candle to home made. But Bridgeford is a pretty good brand. Once I was able to get the Bridgeford guy to try some home made sticks while he was making a delivery and he loved it. Now he buys from me all the time...
    My kids love using my Jerky Cannon to make sticks and strips. We use 93/7 for that. Worcestire and coke make for a great marinade along with dry seasonings too.

RC Racer
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dig_Dug