RC Racer

Question New "HD" FLM CVD kit...last ditch upgrades on Slash

http://www.fastlanemachine.net/prodd...LM26317&cat=31

http://www.kingheads.com/product_inf...2eeb8ae744069b

Anyone try these yet???????

I am on the fence....I am deciding wether to put some cash in the Slash 4X4 in upgraded axles, and Kingheads motor mount, a Novak HV system...to hopefully solve my main reliability issues or sell it and go another way.

I have been happy with the performance of my Slash 4X4 but the reliability has me at wits end..... a joke. I have been racing RC on and off for many years and realize fixing broken stuff is part of it..... but this 4X4 has been ridiculous to say the least. 3 ESC's since Dec. one motor, more axles than I can count, 5-6 center diff bearing failures which led to more diff parts than I want to remember etc. etc. etc. It never seems to end. I race 4 different trucks and the repair bill on my Slash 4X4 is more than all the other 3 combined.

I am trying to decide on upgrading or selling it and going with a Hyper 10SC or quitting 4wd SC all together. I dont want to, but so far the Hypers have proven more reliable at the track....I dont want to since no local LHS stocks Ofna parts but.....fixing a truck weekly is getting old.

Sorry for the rant.....has anyone tried the axles yet?

I like the HV system I am running in my Emaxx it has held up well....the Motor mount has several good reviews so I fell good about that but the axles?????
    Last edited by utah300run; 08-09-2010 at 11:43 PM.
    Emaxx,E-Revo,4x4 Slash,2-Blitz's,Firestorm,Mini T

RC Qualifier
    Sorry to hear about all of your bad luck.... sure takes the fun factor out of the hobby when things are going wrong all the time. I can't quite answer your question about having tried these products, but just by looking at 'em I don't think you can go wrong with them both. I personally have had great luck with the MIP Xtra Duty axles, but these look pretty sweet too. (if you don't run 17mm's) As for the Kingshead products, you can't go wrong with them. Good luck, and don't quit the 4x4 fun just yet.
    assembled in Tawain, hopped up in America

RC Qualifier
    I know how you feel man! This truck is a love hate relationship for me, but I'm so far into it now that it wouldn't make sense to give up now.

I thought I had the bearing problem fixed with the 5x15x5 Boca bearing, althou it did last a bit longer it still seized up. So now I have a King Headz setup on the way, if that doesnt work I dont know what to do.

I did pick up a set of Tekno CVD's but still managed to break one of there carriers and one CVD. I waited so long for replacement CVD's to come in I ordered a set of MIP x-duty's, I only got 2 runs on them and then the center bearing went so I have yet to test long term durability.

I bought this truck in January but I've spent so much time waiting for parts that it's hardly had any use. I know part of this hobby is up keep and replacing some parts along the way, but some of these parts should not be failing so often or quickly.

RC Qualifier
    Sorry to hear man. it must be something with like the first trucks that where released or something. cause I have bashed the crud out of my truck and havnt broken or bent a thing. I ran into a tree at full speed and didnt bend anything besides the body. lol.
    Owner of: 1/10 Slash 4x4 Platinum Edition

RC Qualifier
    those look like 17mm hexes. are they?

RC Champion
    I use there 2wd kit for my slash and have had no problems at all. I have the newer Tekno's now but if I would have seen these first I would have bought them. I run the 2650 with 3s and haven't broke the Tekno's at all. I did go through 4 of the older ones tho. You can email tekno about your older one's breaking and they will replace them with the newer one's.

Terry
    X3-RC8T/X2 ERBE/Losi SCTE/SC10 4x4/Baja 5SC/Rusty

RC Champion
    I have MIP Xtra Duty Axles front and rear.. Not one single issue.

I swapped out the silly 10x15x4 bearing for a 5x16x5 bearing.. Yes I said 16mm. I used the dremel to slightly enlarge the opening to make it fit. I bough the highest quality bearing I could get from the local bearing shop. An SKF sealed bearing. I have atleast 30 packs through it and its still smooth as silk like the day I installed it.

I used foam to seal up the front Drive shaft opening and at the end of the Drive shaft cover. This almost eliminated the fine rocks and gravel in the drive-train problems.
    Always in Trouble for trying to help out.

RC Champion
    I had all of the same problems you are having ....... Sold it and bought a Hyper 10SC and have also broken a few parts on that , but it was from my driving and not a part failing on the car randomly .
    At WARN 80% and climbing !

RC Competitor
    Several months ago I purchased a Hyper 10SC and moved the Slash 4x4 PE as my backup truck. The Hyper has worked flawlessly, and I haven't broken a single part on it. However, after countless races it was time for a complete tear down of the Hyper, so I decided to break out the Slash for a race night (No pun intended.) During that night I managed to bend one rear and one front axle. In the past I'd bent a handful of rear axles, but never a front...

Needless to say, it reminded me of why I heart the Hyper so much. I know its hard to swallow, but the Slash 4x4 isn't really the best fit as either a racer or a basher. Sure it has some very bulletproof components, but it definitely has some glaringly weak ones too. My personal choice would be a truck that breaks because of my mistakes, not a result of poor materials/design.

-melon

RC Racer
    I love my Emaxx & E-Revo so I dont want to be seen as bashing on Traxxas ....but it is what it is....the Slash 4X4 does have a few too many issues in my opinion. But they sell a ton so I doubt any resolutions will ever be offered from them....just aftermarket companies which means more $$$$$

I may just try some homemade mods for the bearing and let it become a shelf queen.....until I raise the funds for a Hyper 10sc then the slash will move into "back-up" status.

I am thinking of just racing my E-revo and E-Firestorm for a while, that will most likely open up some funds since the slash 4x4 will be retired....it has been burning up most or all of my RC budget lately.

Good luck guys...and thanks for the replies.
    Emaxx,E-Revo,4x4 Slash,2-Blitz's,Firestorm,Mini T

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by angrymelon
    My personal choice would be a truck that breaks because of my mistakes, not a result of poor materials/design.
    -melon
    Took the words right out of my mouth

I will say this, I bash hard on 3s. I have only blown 1 slipper bearing. I have been running it for months. I run 10,000 diff oil in it and it is holding strong. Don't give up on the truck. Just get creative and find a way to make it better. I went through a stage where I was tired of fixing things on mine. Then I started trying things to make it better. It works. It has been a very long time since I have broken anything on my truck.