Thread: VXL Problem

RC Qualifier

VXL Problem

Okay, so I recently converted my old XL-1 Stampede to have a VXL setup. After a few runs to make sure my batteries were reaching full charge (they've been sitting a long time) I took it out to run. The first time I hit the throttle, everything reaches full power. I can continue a wheelie, and all of a sudden the front end will drop like it loses half power. It seems like somehow it's going into training mode while running. I can turn it off then turn it back on again and it will do the same thing; have full power then a couple seconds later lose about half of it. Suggestions?
    Stampede XL1 turned VXL and Rustler XL-5

RC Enthusiast
    are you sure your not in lipo mode? if so the lipo low voltage protection will cut power to your truck.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Are you in Lipo mode? If your running Nimh batteries in lipo mode the Low Voltage Cutoff will kick in and shut the power down to %50. Nimh batteries cant hold their voltage under load as well as Lipos so they drop drastically for a short period under load. This typically will trip the LVC if you have your ESC set in Lipo mode.

Check that first and get back to us.

RC Champion
    What kind of batteries do you have? If they are older batteries that could be your issue. The Velineon system requires a lot of juice. If your battery cannot supply what it needs it won't run properly.
    Was an xl-5, now its vxl-ent!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If you are running older and/or poorer quality Nimh packs, than that could be your problem. If they are good guality, matched Nimh packs, they will easliy power the VXL system.

RC Champion
    I believe a green light at idle is LVC on right??? make sure the light is red at idle. And yes make sure you have good quality high mah battery packs with brushless... Bad batteriesin VXL is like E85 gas in a ferrari
    So I taped my hamster to the Pede..

RC Qualifier
    I'm using a 3000 venom stick pack and a 3300 side by side pack. the light flashes red at idle i believe. i'll check when i get home from work and let you guys know.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by VGCaged_Emaxx
    I'm using a 3000 venom stick pack and a 3300 side by side pack. the light flashes red at idle i believe. i'll check when i get home from work and let you guys know.
    Well it shouldn't be flashing anything. If it's flashing red, then it's quite possible that you're in LiPo mode - which is normally a solid green light - and because you're running NiMH batteries, hitting the low voltage protection, which is the flashing red light.
    ◄▲▼► SUMMIT ●○●○● 2 RUSTLER VXL's ●○●○● MERV ◄▲▼►

RC Qualifier
    Yeah so that was definitely what my problem was. The low voltage setting is off now, and it works awesome! Thanks!