RC poster

E-Revo Brushless in Iraq... TEMP & LED's

Hey everyone, well this is my first post, and hopefully many more as I run the he11 our my new RC.. Anyways, here are my questions...

After running a Revo 3.3 for a few months, I sold it.. I have and am familiar w/ RC Planes, Lipos and other electric stuff, but this will be my first Electric Car.
    Being familiar w/ Traxxas and the Revo, the E-revo was a natural choice.. and of course, I had to get the Brushless

I ordered 2 7.4 5400 batteries, A CHARGER, tool set, and a temp gauge to go along w/ it. I figured i would just upgrade as a break stuff .

Anyways, my two questions... what temp should I be running my motor ect at? I don't want to have it running too hott and mess anything up.. being 120 over here now... I am curious as to what the safe running temp is?

also, till it cools off, I may end up running alot early in morning before work, and late evenings around and at dark..

So what is the best LED set-up for the e-revo? I don't want anything that looks crappy, taped flashlights, or 9 volts. something durable that plugs into reciever and runs off the trucks batteries... I figured not only would it look cool, but serve some form of functionality..

thanks for all the help.. and I'll post some pics of me running it when it gets here

curtis

RC Qualifier
    I don't know about the LEDs, but for motor temps you want to shoot for 180* max. If you are under that, go ahead and feel free to gear up.

RC Racer
    i think that summit had a nice front bumber with led lights

RC Qualifier
    You have made an excellent choice going with the ERBE.

With temps, like pointed out above stay under 180F but cooler the better. Might be an idea to cut out a hole on the windscreen area of the body to try and keep the air moving over the electrics. Should help somewhat with the high ambient temps there but gearing is probably going to help the most.
    As for LEDs most simple solution I can think of is to go with the Traxxas Summit bumpers. That way you'll be keeping it in the family and it is an easy fit to the Revo since the Summit is practically a Revo. You can get the whole units on Ebay pretty cheap and they come complete.

Good luck with it.
    BASH. BREAK. FIX. REPEAT. ALWAYS REPEAT.

RC poster
    alright.. cool, I'll look into the summit bumpers. as far as gearing, how should I change from the stock? i'm not fammiliar w/ the RC world of gearing. I could probily do a search on here and find out some set-ups, but I wouldn't know were to begin w/ that.. I never messed aroun w/ that on my 3.3

RC Racer
    you should be fine with gearings wich are included in e-revo pack and those batterys. 19/54 and stock one is 19/68 wich is bolted on car. (if i remember correctly 19 was stock pinion)

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by k0rppi
    you should be fine with gearings wich are included in e-revo pack and those batterys. 19/54 and stock one is 19/68 wich is bolted on car. (if i remember correctly 19 was stock pinion)

Stock is 18/65 and it comes with a 54 spur aswell

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/_top_speed.html

For all your gearing & setup needs

Differential Ratio: 2.8461538461538463
    Transmission Ratio: 1.8333333333333333
    Other Ratio: 1
    Spur Tooth Count: 65
    Pinion Tooth Count: 18
    Total Voltage: 14.8
    Motor KV: 2200
    Tire Diameter (inches): 5.9
    Tire Ballooning (inches): 0
    Motor Current Draw: 0
    Motor Coil Resistance: 0.006
    Spur/Pinion Ratio: 3.61 : 1
    Total Ratio: 18.84259 : 1
    Tire Circumference (inches): 18.54 inches (470.8 mm)
    Rollout: 0.98:1
    Total Motor Speed: 32560 RPM
    Vehicle Speed: 30.33 mph (48.72 km/h)
    Effective KV Value: 2200
    Seems like 30mph will be a bit tame, but how much you can increase the gearing will depend on the temps as you do so:

ESC & Motor = 180*F max, ideally 120-160*F
    Lipos = 140*F max, ideally 100-120*F

What spec/ brand batts did you go with ( C rating )?
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC poster
    well I should have it here within the week, i got a "combo builder" thing from RC Universe i believe.. but i have the stock batteries, i got 2 venom 5400 7.4 about 100$ for both. I def plan on upgrading batteries, but as I'm not racing, I will def stick w/ 4 cell set up.. I don't need to go up to 6. I just am playing around. I wouldn't mind finding some 8000 mah batteries though.. i like the idea of a longer run time. the problem w/ batteries is you get what you pay for... and a good brand, w/ high discharge rating are ESP $$$$

RC poster
    I ordered some LED's on Ebay from seller bitesizes_hobbies. I was very impressed. They are much nicer than any that my friends have got from ebay, radio shack etc. Very stiff wires and put together very well.

So if I hear you correctly you are currently on tour and are having the ERBE shipped to you in Iraq?

RC poster
    correct.. should be here in a week or so hopefully..gotta love shipping and the USPS lol

RC poster
    Where are you at K9Curtis?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraq-E-Maxx
    Where are you at K9Curtis?
    moving around, but al asad right now.. You? we have a rc club that meets on saturdays