RC Competitor

Novak 10.5ss motor?

Got a local guy selling a few motors. I'd like to try a sensored motor in my 4x4.
    Would the 10.5 novak SS be a good choice? I think the kv is a little high though, 4200kv, If I remember correctly....

RC Racer
    I had a thread asking the same question. The 10.5 will run to hot. For Novak I would go with the 550 size Ballistic 4.5t -6.5t or the Novak HV 4.5t-5.5t. Ballistic series you can change out the stators and switch between 4.5 -6.5 and only have to pay around $40
    I ended up getting a HV 5.5t running 16t 54spur with the stock vxl3s esc. So far its a lot smoother and runs cooler than stock. I may eventually go for the mmm 2650kv combo in the future.

RC Racer

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ksoul
    I had a thread asking the same question. The 10.5 will run to hot. For Novak I would go with the 550 size Ballistic 4.5t -6.5t or the Novak HV 4.5t-5.5t. Ballistic series you can change out the stators and switch between 4.5 -6.5 and only have to pay around $40
    I ended up getting a HV 5.5t running 16t 54spur with the stock vxl3s esc. So far its a lot smoother and runs cooler than stock. I may eventually go for the mmm 2650kv combo in the future.

Thanks for the reply! I've seen the same article, 4x4 slash tuning tips, shows a ballistic 10.5 motor and says it's all good to use.

How does the hv 5.5 run compared to the vxl motor? Are you running 2s or 3s?

RC Racer
    I've only had a chance to run it up and down the street for a total of about 25min on 2s (15min) and 3s(10min) at separate times. The accleration is better, better braking, smoother turns, no cogging at low speeds, motor is a lot cooler. Still waiting for the only track in town to be finished to test her out. But now I am getting the itch to get the mmm 2650 combo, but might wait a couple more months to see what castle will release for their sc system.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ksoul
    I've only had a chance to run it up and down the street for a total of about 25min on 2s (15min) and 3s(10min) at separate times. The accleration is better, better braking, smoother turns, no cogging at low speeds, motor is a lot cooler. Still waiting for the only track in town to be finished to test her out. But now I am getting the itch to get the mmm 2650 combo, but might wait a couple more months to see what castle will release for their sc system.

Why the itch for the mm/2650? More control over the esc?

I live in the Olathe,KS. That's where Castle is. We've got a guy coming to our backyard track that works at castle. He brought a couple of prototypes or their SC motors. Unfortunetly the vxl has 3.5 bullets and not 4mm like the castle prototypes, he said we can run them if we want....

Thanks again for the info.... Ever figure out why the article was suggesting the 10.5?

RC Racer
    I don't know why the article mentioned it? Got me confused. Yeah I want the programability and the 2650 also runs cooler over long periods for my bashing sessions. Let me know how the new motors from castle performs if you get a chance to test it.

RC Competitor
    If I get a chance to try one of the sc motors I'll let you know how it works out..... Thanks again for the info,