Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

Tires/wheel and 2S/3S battery combos - can I get your $0.02?

I'm looking to widen my E-Revo wheel stack for when I go brushless with the MMM 2200KV, but the various definitions and types confuse me.

I gathered that VTR wheels only fits VTR tires etc., but the web shops are sometimes vague when they describe the items.

For instance, I want some Pro Line Sand Paddles:
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Truck-Tires-2

Will they fit these rims?

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...White-4pcs-X5T

I also want the pre-mounted Pro Line VTR Calibers (not so hard to figure out):

Will they work well on the E-Revo?

And finally, the Road Rage:

According to my (excellent) calculations, they should work with the Tech 5's:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Wheels-Black-2

Am I right or wrong? What is this offset parameter?

Now for a battery quiz:

I have two 2S 5000mah 35C packs I want to use in series to get a 4S setup, which I hear is fun

But I also want a pair for good run time. So I was thinking, how about two 3S packs in parallel (I figured out a way to switch between series and parallel with the aftermarket MMM ESC).

Can I cheap out with less mah packs that are still around 35-40C? I mean, 3S is still a lot of Volts, and I could get say 8000mah in parallel?

Edit: Ok, not for the kind of money I make.. Maybe the Thunder Power 3300mah might cut it:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...C-111V-3300mAh

I'd really like to hear your opinions on this - or suggestions for other tire/wheel/battery setups.

Edited for Language
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 08-31-2010 at 10:03 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Does anyone have any experience with these packs / this shop?

http://got2gorc.com/product.sc?produ...&categoryId=12

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    3s lipo wont be much fun with the MMM&2200kv motor system- you'd struggle to get over 20-25mph tops- 4s is a minimum pretty much.

A pair of smaller ~3300mah 4s lipos in parallel is much more plausable for increased runtime, you just have to bear in mind the battery compartment limitations:

Otherwise a nother method to increase runtime is to go with a lower kv motor ( say, ~1600-1800kv ) & run 6s lipo ( 2x 3s )- if you gear for the same ~40mph topspeed, your temps will come down in line with the decreased current draw & improved efficiency of a higher voltage setup. Wont be a night & day difference, but maybe good for an extra 10-15 minutes perhaps ( only way to say really is to try it out ).

Cant help on the wheel-tire issue sorry, but I can tell you that most pre-mounted wheels suck, the glue lets go too easily or the tire isnt true quite often, better off doing it yourself at home with decent CA glue..
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Qualifier
    Ill vouch for got2gorc
    Ive had *****s, spc's, *******'s, maxamps, and hyperions.
    And at the moment, 2 new 3s packs for my bl erevo from got2go. That provide a whopping 270amps. yowsa
    Ill sum it up like this... when I go to get more packs, ill get them from there.
    They fit great in the box with just a retainer in the back and foam upfront.

They get the job done and thensome, with a reasonable price. Fast shipping too.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyofDarkness

Otherwise a nother method to increase runtime is to go with a lower kv motor ( say, ~1600-1800kv ) & run 6s lipo ( 2x 3s )- if you gear for the same ~40mph topspeed, your temps will come down in line with the decreased current draw & improved efficiency of a higher voltage setup.
    Thanx for advising - I just think the mmm 2200 is such great value for money, the mmm esc and the 1800KV has a pretty steep tag (around $325 vs $270 for the 2200 combo).

Can the 2200 be setup to pull less voltage, maybe? Top speed isn't really the main goal here..

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hmm, you could run 5s and gear a bit lower, vs 4s and gearing up - 40mph being the goal either way. you coudl run 6s and gear down alot more, but then you tend to run into undergearing problems ( motor runs hot as there isnt much load on it ).

I'd just stick with 4s really- buying multiple cheaper lipos and swapping them to get more runtime is preferable to much more expensive premium brands ( I am a cheapskate though so I would say that... ). Makes more sense if you're just bashing at any rate- racing is a whole different kettle of fish.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok - I think I'll start off with 2 of these, then:

http://got2gorc.com/product.sc?produ...&categoryId=11

Not a whole lot more mah, but then I at least have two sets

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    $65 for a single 2s lipo? Hmm, they better be awesome cells for that price ( not the most expensive I've seen, but far from cheap/cheerful either ) & awesome aftersales support too..

RC Enthusiast
    ^^Do you have a link to some cheaper ones that are somewhat similar in C-rating and mah (or better)? I'd appreciate some more options
    Last edited by 19quiz76; 08-18-2010 at 10:39 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Minnesota, hey look it's snowing again...
    Look up hobbypartz.com they have some 2s 40c 5000mah lipos for about $35 shipped.

Shea

This post has been edited for content. Attempting to bypass the word filter is not acceptable and can result in warning points in the future
    Dadx2mj
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 08-31-2010 at 08:59 AM.
    Suzuki
    Way of Life!

RC Enthusiast
    Wow - you guys are great! I'd be in the dark if it wasn't for you

So; I got tempted by the vast range of batteries, and to get good runtimes, how about this one in parallel?

Will 8000mah give too much runtime for the MMM 2200KV?

Also; will only 4S give too little punch in this setup?

This is my first Brushless system, so I'm thinking it's a big step up "regardless". What do you think?

Edit: link corrected

This post has been edited for content. Attempting to bypass the word filter is not acceptable and can result in warning points in the future
    Dadx2mj
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 08-31-2010 at 09:02 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Just for clarification; running packs in series will increase your voltage, running packs in parallel will increase your mah capacity/ runtime.

Running 2x 2s 5000mah packs in series = 4s 5000mah.
    Running 2x 2s 5000mah in parallel = 2s 10,000mah.

You wont be able to fit a 4s or 2x 2s lipo in each side of the erevo, only enough room for a single 3s 5000mah pack in each side at most pretty much.

Your only real option is a single 2s 5000mah pack- you might be able to stretch to ~6000mah- on each side, depends on the packs dimensions vs available space ( height being the main issue ).

Only the emaxx 3905 chassis has enough room for some parallel pack action, such as a pair of 4s 5000mah packs in parallel, one on each side of the chassis.

No worries about too much runtime though, just keep an eye on temps if you are running for extended periods, take cooling down breaks as required..

RC Enthusiast
    Ah - I see I posted wrong link, corrected now. I meant the 4000 mah's, which seem to fit

The fact that they are not hard case, is that a big deal? Does that make them non-waterproof?
    Last edited by 19quiz76; 08-18-2010 at 12:57 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Regarding track tires - anyone (not) recommending the Bow Ties from Pro-Line?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Bow-ties are a great tire, hard to tell the difference between them & alot of newer designs really.

Not being hardcases is no big deal- the erevo battery compartments offer plenty of protection; waterproofing is another issue though. You can seal a lipo pretty well buy just applying some silicon sealant around the ends of the pack where the shrink is open, and around the wires to stop water whicking into the pack; the connectors will never be waterproof though on any battery, so avoid salty sea or river water.

I'd say avoid water period though, save your brushed and nimhs for that kinda thing, or buy a boat....

RC Qualifier
    Minnesota, hey look it's snowing again...
    I don't race but IIRC many tracks require you to use hardcase lipos. Just something to check into and keep in mind.
    The only factory 'waterproof' lipos I know of are maxamps. But waterproofing lipos is as easy as dipping them in liquid tape or plastic dip and doing something to protect the balance plug. Unless you plan on waterproofing your esc you will smoke that before your batts go bad from water.
    Hope this helps
    Shea
    Suzuki
    Way of Life!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shea al'Thor
    Unless you plan on waterproofing your esc you will smoke that before your batts go bad from water.
    Shea
    I'm actually planning to waterproof the MMM esc, as Squirrelod describes in one of his vids. I live in a country with a lot of rain, so it's basically to protect it from puddles and damp roads..

My brother, though, managed to run his BL Short Course into salt water when we were bashing at the beach, right after this vid was made.
    It was toast..

Sand Bashing Video

This is what his receiver looked like when he split it open (no - it's not a type of tobacco, it's wet sand)..

Last edited by 19quiz76; 08-18-2010 at 04:10 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I run two 3s 5000s in parallel all the time on mine. It's about as fast as a good brushed setup... (30 MPH or so) Still plenty of fun, yet runs 1 - 2 times longer than the brushed setup would.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Dont you ever feel the need, the need for speed?!...

RC Qualifier
    That's when I just swap out the parallel adapter for a series one

I take mine hiking up on trails in the mountains a lot. 3s works perfect for that.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Ah, that makes sense- 50mph+ over a hiking trail might be a bit excessive....

RC Enthusiast
    Well, anyways - I decided on the 4s 4000mah 40C's from Hobby "Regent", I guess I'll have my hands full for a while..

RC Enthusiast
    Here's my new sand paddles - glued in a jiffy Will post more once I find the time to glue the Bow ties and the Road Rages..

Mugen Wheels

Sand Paddles

17mm hex adapters

Last edited by 19quiz76; 08-26-2010 at 11:56 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 08-31-2010 at 10:07 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    My very first solder job - it ain't pretty, but I'll Plasti-dip it to seal it up.

http://a.imageshack.us/img444/4374/imageas.jpg

Please keep all images to a width of 640 pixels or less. To do this, you must resize the image before you upload the picture to your host or resize in your host. I have changed the image(s) to link(s) and/or thumbnail(s) so that people don't have to scroll to read the thread. You can also upload thumbnails that can be selected to view the photo at the original resolution.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 08-31-2010 at 10:09 AM.

RC Racer
    You need wayyyyy more heat, and flux.

RC Enthusiast
    Great - and I was so pleased..

The solder seems good enough, I can't pull them apart with my hands.
    But you don't think it will work, or that it won't last?

I used a 30W solder pen on this, but I also have a 100W solder gun, will that be enough?

But how do I heat the wire so that the tin sticks? I think it's difficult to get the tip to stick - it just bounces off..

Maybe just use one of these instead..

Last edited by 19quiz76; 08-31-2010 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 19quiz76
    My very first solder job - it ain't pretty, but I'll Plasti-dip it to seal it up.

http://a.imageshack.us/img444/4374/imageas.jpg
    I'd, ummm, definitely try again.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl
    I'd, ummm, definitely try again.

That's hands down the best answer I've ever read

Guess I'll have to bring out the big guns

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    To make soldering much easier, try to find some Trinity soldering flux liquid and purchase a Weller 80 watt iron. If you plan on soldering large wires, 8 ga or 10 ga, get the 3/8" chisel tip with the iron, if smaller wires and jobs will be normal, get the 1/4" chisel tip. Words cannot describe how easy soldering can be with the right tools. Send me a PM if you cannot find the solder flux at your LHS and I'll try to locate some for you.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey
    try to find some Trinity soldering flux liquid
    My brother has some I can borrow
    If you plan on soldering large wires, 8 ga or 10 ga, get the 3/8" chisel tip with the iron
    I'll see if I can find that somewhere as an attachment
    Send me a PM if you cannot find the solder flux at your LHS and I'll try to locate some for you.
    Thanx, mate

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 19quiz76
    Great - and I was so pleased..

The solder seems good enough, I can't pull them apart with my hands.
    But you don't think it will work, or that it won't last?

I used a 30W solder pen on this, but I also have a 100W solder gun, will that be enough?

But how do I heat the wire so that the tin sticks? I think it's difficult to get the tip to stick - it just bounces off..

Maybe just use one of these instead..

do not use that..just more problems in the future....all you need is more heat, and flux.....just redo it and you'll be fine.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TANK'S 250
    ....just redo it and you'll be fine.
    Ok - so I get a new iron, say 100W with ~1/2" tip, warm up that clog, and it will dissolve? Then "re-tangle" the wires, flux it, and heat up the wires so that the tin just melts in there?

Sorry for all the noob questions, feel free to kick me into another thread if necessary..

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyofDarkness
    ... bear in mind the battery compartment limitations:

I wish I had measured the battery compartment myself prior to ordering new batteries - it appears to be 11mm too shallow.

So everybody; the E-Revo battery compartment is NOT 51mm deep as it says in this picture, it's 40!!

So I pretty much have 2x 4S 40C 4000mah packs for sale..
    Last edited by 19quiz76; 09-02-2010 at 08:11 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    This better?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Last edited by Jakey; 09-02-2010 at 10:05 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Better than your 1st attempt? Maybe a little...

Good? No.

Looks like you still need more heat (maybe some extra flux too).

FWIW, I use a 150W trigger-style soldering gun for heavy stuff like that. Heats up right away and makes short work of soldering even #8 wires.

RC Racer
    Like sfr4x4 said...it's better...but not by much...more heat will help with capillary attraction(melting where you want it to).
    http://s405.photobucket.com/albums/pp138/TANKS250/

RC Enthusiast
    Thanx guys

It's just annoying to have bought a 100W iron that seems too be insufficient, on top of too large batteries (my own fault).

I'll try with some more flux and patience to let the wire heat up..

RC Racer
    Tip - put a little solder on the iron tip when it is up to temp. Hold the iron tip on the copper wire making sure that the solder on the tip is making contact with the wire. This will heat up the copper wire quicker and to the point where you can add more solder to the cable and get it flowing easily. It has to be pretty hot to flow around a thick gauge wire.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dig_Dug

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast