RC Champion

Slop On Steering

I have noticed some slop to occur after a run or two after I have already tightened the pillow ball screws. They are the round threaded plastic piece that makes the pillow balls tight. Anyways I always check them before every run and they always come loose. I'm sure this is normal and I will use some set screws to fix it but I was wondering how tight should they be. Just touching to wear there is no binding in the steering and no play in between the two or a little on the tight side and as you drive it it will loosen up a hair. Thanks

Terry
    X3-RC8T/X2 ERBE/Losi SCTE/SC10 4x4/Baja 5SC/Rusty

RC Enthusiast
    yea i had the same issue like yours. UNfortunatley I ended taking apart both ends of the truck and dissassembling every arm.

I adjusted each arm and pillow ball and the pillow ball caps so that they were both tight and then i slowly loosen them until i could move the arms freely with no resistance. (for extra smoothness i put a dollop of marine grease in the pillow ball retainers) the boot and plug keeps all of it in there.

RC Qualifier
    To take the vagueness out of the setting the set screws and to really get a feel of the action they have on the pillow balls i use this method:

Remove the screw that fastens the toe-angle turnbuckle/steering link from its respective axle carrier. With the axle carrier free to move side to side now, you get a better sense of how tite or loose the set screws are. I screw them down till they stop and then start to back them off... usually its like a shy under a half turn does the trick.
    When you have it just past the point where you feel a lil drag on them, you should be good to go. Hook the links back up and away you go.

maybe it can work for you too.

RC Champion
    I hold the arms so that the shaft is perfectly straight, then turn the retainers all the way in, and back off about 1/4 turn so that there is about 1/32" of play on the top and bottom of the carrier.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    They take periodic adjustment. As you drive, they wear and even loosen.

If your truck is new, the hex's are probably still ok. But after a while you'll have play in the hex's themselves...

RC Champion
    Thanks for the advise. I will just check them before every run. I think I will try some set screws like my Tekno one's on my other revo.

Terry
    X3-RC8T/X2 ERBE/Losi SCTE/SC10 4x4/Baja 5SC/Rusty