Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    RC Racer

New guy...bought a couple E-revos...have info to share...ask questions to ask.

My name is TANK, new here, not new to R/C's...but I am new to Lipo's.

I read over the FAQ,..real good info in there...but I'm still looking for pointers.

Last week I ordered:

(2) E-revo's for my youngest boys(10-13)..These will have NIMH batteries only in them
    (1) Brushless E-revo for myself... ....Lipo's have already been ordered

As I said, I know nothing of Lipo batteries, and I did read the FAQ, but I'd like to hear what you guys have to say about my purchase.

This is what I bought:

5800mah 3s 25c Lipo

and this....it charges 4 batteries at a time...

The R/C trucks should be here by Saturday,..and the fun will begin!.

Though I love R/C's,.."Back in the day"..I had the Blackfoot, Monster beetle, RC10,..and more recent I had a Nitro Savage & a GS Storm Truggy(which is for sale)......this is my true obsession....

My REAL truck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDMRG-vJld0

RC Racer
    OH...I almost forgot....I bought a used SUMMIT last week....that is what got me back into R/C's pretty heavy again.

RC Qualifier
    I gotta say, although I hate Fords I Love Clutch. Such a good band that not too many people know about.
    HK Brushless Summit!!!

RC Qualifier
    Looking really good. consider to change the stock diff cups to alu If running 3s:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMCD2&P=7

And when you allready have the diff apart make sure to shim it and you might want to change the stock bearings in the rear diff for some high quality ones

Good luck! I hope IŽll have a good time with the trucks

RC Racer
    Welcome to the forum
    that is an awesome looking charger. 4 batteries at once hey. hmmmm. that might just be my next purchase. sorry to be asking questions but can that charger charge different types of lipo batteries at the same time? or do all 4 batteries have to be exactly the same?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It can charge 4 different types of batts, let alone lipos- each channel is fully independant of the others

Good choice on the lipos and charger- take a look at my Tutorials page too for more specific info on lipos & chargers:

http://robotwars.00server.com/tutorials.html
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Champion
    welcome to the club ya'll are going to have a ton of fun

I only see one problem. you got your boys brushed trucks and NIMH..... and you brushless and 6s lipo.... they're going to be so jealous of yours that they won't want to drive theirs!

On a more serious note, you may find that a set of 2 2s lipos would be good to have around as once they learn to drive the revos it'll give them a little speed/runtime boost (use an external LVC) and for the times when you want a little break from the insanity of 6s you can use them.

Nice build on the ford too!

RC Racer
    hi tank... i have the exact same batteries. they got plenty of juice and you will like it. they are a little big for the batterie compartment and you should expect some difficulties to fit them. you can cut the door a little were the wire will exit... also, what i did, is to remove the screws from the doors, and reinstalled the screws with a shim. look here for detail: http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...highlight=shim

you should also consider to buy the esc link or re-program your esc ( look at your mmm esc manual )... 6s is hard on the esc and you may want to consider to reduce punch control and braking!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Increase punch control = less punch

A castlelink is definately a must-have, as is an IR temp gun.

RC Racer
    oupsiee... can i use my " i normaly speak french card"????

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yes you can ( I always find it funny that most non-English speaking people usually have better diction & grammar than most of the native English speakers on the forum )

^^That's because they actually think about what they are saying. I have a question for those who speak french, do you think in french then type/speak english, or do you think in english type in english? When I took spanish in school (no where near fluent) I found myself thinking in english then translating as I went.
    Some like R/C's that are fast, others like nitro

RC poster
    hey tank, get two 3s and two 2s.........you will like the differences....running 4s is goood for track....running 6s is good for a laugh and speed and broken parts...Btw the ******* 5.0 3 s will just fit the e revo compartment

RC Qualifier
    Wow I'm surprised the mods allowed you to keep those batts and charger up for this long, Traxxas is no fan of HK and doesn't allow their products on the forum. Great choices on the new clan of trucks though, you guys will love them. Your boys will love their trucks as will you, I do agree your going to want a couple sets of 2s lipo's though or they will be done running when your just getting warmed up. Not to mention the erbe runs like a champ on 4s too. Let the mods begin!
    That's Just How I Roll ««o==o>

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by FreakyT333
    Wow I'm surprised the mods allowed you to keep those batts and charger up for this long, Traxxas is no fan of HK and doesn't allow their products on the forum.
    I figured as much...but if you notice in the pic,..everything is cropped out...so no suppliers name is mentioned....no part number is mentioned....only specs of said battery and a price...

...this isn't my first forum rodeo...LOL

Thanks man!

RC Racer
    I appreciate all the help and info...and I will definitely be asking questions as I go along.

Like I had said earlier,..I get big into R/C's every couple years....

And I know a couple of the normal "weak links" in R/C's....but not all of them...
    .....I took a guess of what would normally break, and bought a bunch of spare parts...I hate waiting for local hobby stores to get stuff ordered in...

I still have a bunch more spare parts coming in every day....I don't even have the E-Revo'S yet....but this is just a couple of the "spares" that have come in over the last week.

Last edited by ksb51rl; 08-26-2010 at 01:21 PM.

RC Racer
    I'm sure you'll have a ton of bashing fun running all three of them together with your kids. Congrats on the purchase.

For starters, try going on youtube and watching all the lipo 101 videos.

RC Champion
    If you're going to be running 6s, You better load up on a crate of those stock tires/rims (if thats what those are in you pic).

Either that, or put them up on ebay, and go tape yourself up a decent combo....
    Last edited by SlotterHouse; 08-25-2010 at 05:04 PM.
    (√) Zer0 tall-er-ance 4 stu-pid-it-deeeeee.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyofDarkness
    Good choice on the lipos and charger- take a look at my Tutorials page too for more specific info on lipos & chargers:

http://robotwars.00server.com/tutorials.html
    I've looked at your tutorials, and a couple other here...loads of info..I just have to weed through them all....THANKS MAN!

Quote Originally Posted by tonkajeep34
    welcome to the club ya'll are going to have a ton of fun

On a more serious note, you may find that a set of 2 2s lipos would be good to have around as once they learn to drive the revos it'll give them a little speed/runtime boost (use an external LVC) and for the times when you want a little break from the insanity of 6s you can use them.

Nice build on the ford too!
    THANKS MAN!

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyofDarkness
    Increase punch control = less punch

A castlelink is definately a must-have, as is an IR temp gun.
    Where can I get one,..and what do they cost?

Quote Originally Posted by gsemike
    hey tank, get two 3s and two 2s.........you will like the differences....running 4s is goood for track....running 6s is good for a laugh and speed and broken parts...
    My main goal is run time..with available extra juice when I want it....

...I keep hearing that the 5800mah 3s is a bit much power,..and it will break parts....this may be a silly...but ....doesn't the "power" breaking stuff have a lot to do with the end user?....I'm pretty abusive(air time)....but I'm not hard on the throttle.....

I figure I'll be alright...even though I'll have all that available power on tap,..I'll use it more for "run time"...and baffle the speed back a bit with my trigger finger...LOL

RC Champion
    ↓Castle Link↓

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...p?I=LXGVR8&P=M

Even a better price here, but you'll need your own USB A to USB mini cable:
    http://www.thebarnfloor.com/catalog/...oducts_id=1809
    Last edited by SlotterHouse; 08-25-2010 at 05:13 PM.
    (√) Zer0 tall-er-ance 4 stu-pid-it-deeeeee.

RC Racer
    Can anyone confirm the question in my last response?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TANK'S 250
    Can anyone confirm the question in my last response?
    on 6s you will break axles only worse than your real truck I have the 00 with the 7.3L and a few mods Banks exhaust turbo, exhaust brake etc 6 foot bed I love it.
    Just go easy with the throttle do the 5800 even fit?
    havnt failed I just found 1000 ways that wont work

RC Qualifier
    Tank the MMM combo on 6s is about 5-6HP with full torque from the second you hit the throttle. Alot of us lock up the slipper I had to due to the way I run it. It was either smoke the slipper 1/4 turn out or lock it up.
    But there are alot of really nice aftermarket slippers out there now.
    havnt failed I just found 1000 ways that wont work

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I use the same batteries. The castlelink has torque management with the latest update. Use it! It let's you dial in less torque, I set mine so it has just enough to wheelie.

I get about 40 minutes runtime.

6s is a great setup, even better once you dial the power in.

Not the most elegant, especially because it costs 4 zip ties each time...

But you can see how those packs are just a touch too wide and tall.
    Last edited by ducati777; 08-26-2010 at 08:07 AM.

RC Racer
    Thanks for the info guys...

ducati77......I guess Suicideneil's FAQ info isn't very accurate....

Here is the info from his "FAQ" thread.

******* 5800mah 3s lipo specs

149mm x 49mm x 30mm

I based my purchase off of his recommendation....and I saw another response from a TRAXXAS representative saying the same thing...

...I guess they are both incorrect....CRAPPPPPP!

Last edited by ksb51rl; 08-26-2010 at 01:32 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Lulz, I made the same mistake as you. Looked at that picture, the pack size, and clicked buy.

The issue is the pack's height. Its 30mm plus, which doesn't allow it to wedge down into the tray. I've got the 2s version of the same pack and can run it doors closed.

Using el cheapo calipers I get 31.15 mm tall, 50.5mm wide, a touch over 147 long.

But don't be too discouraged, they're a great value and the run time feels like forever.

Last edited by ducati777; 08-26-2010 at 09:15 AM.

RC Racer
    I'm kind of annal retentive,...and wire tieing the battery doors isn't gonna fly with me.....

....looks like I'll be custom fabricating 3/8" battery door spacers....because I want the batteries completely enclosed. I'll fabricate them out of plastic or aluminum.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If they're nice, make 2 and sell 1 set to me....

RC Racer
    Already designed them,...have to wait until I get home to see if they'll work.

I must recant....obviously Suicideneil & Traxxas were correct....it was the foriegn comapnies specs on the batteries that were incorrect.

RC Racer
    if you want to fit the 5800 batt without issue, you can buy the spacers for the pushrod ( part 5133 http://www.buytraxxas.com/product_in...oducts_id=2131 ). they fit perfectly. I use those and they give me just enough room to be able to close the door. ( make sure to remove the battery holder in the battery compartment ). and i also put the wire of the battery facing the back of the compartment.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TANK'S 250
    I based my purchase off of his recommendation....and I saw another response from a TRAXXAS representative saying the same thing...

...I guess they are both incorrect....CRAPPPPPP!
    So I'm guessing the battery manufacturer is incorrect in it's sizing and the FAQ and Traxxas rep are correct.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    ^That. In soviet Russia, the FAQ questions you....

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by gordongekko
    if you want to fit the 5800 batt without issue, you can buy the spacers for the pushrod ( part 5133 http://www.buytraxxas.com/product_in...oducts_id=2131 ). they fit perfectly. I use those and they give me just enough room to be able to close the door. ( make sure to remove the battery holder in the battery compartment ). and i also put the wire of the battery facing the back of the compartment.
    Those just space the door out...I don't like that...I'm going to fabricate an ENTIRE spacer(think throttle body spacer)....so there won't any openings around the battery compartment.

RC poster
    If you want to write in English, it is a lot better if you can think in English. French vs English sentence structure is a lot different. I you think french and then translate too much, you end up sounding like a computer who translates for you. Try going to any french website and have a robot translate it for you; it's lot of fun cause you can't understand a thing

RC Racer
    This is what I'll be making out of thin aluminum.....I can weld aluminum foil...so this will be cake.

I designed this real quick on MS paint...LOL

Please keep all images to a width of 640 pixels or less. To do this, you must edit the image before you upload the picture to your host or edit the photo in your host.
    I have changed the image(s) to clickable thumbnail(s) so that people don't have to scroll to read the thread. You can also upload clickable thumbnails that can be selected to view the photo at the original resolution.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 08-26-2010 at 08:20 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That seems like alot of work, but should make for an interesting project.

Sods law traxxas will listen to people's feedback and release a newer erevo platinum with larger battery tray the day after you finish that..

RC Racer
    not alot of work...it'll take me about an hour or so to make 2 of them.

use a metal shear, cut 2 pieces of aluminum 3/8" wide(4 minutes), cut (2) 3/16" strips(4 minutes), bend on small metal brake(10 minutes), TIG ends together, and TIG 3/16" piece on back(10 minutes), cut and weld corner angles(10 minutes), drill holes(5 minutes), mount(5 minutes)...then just cut top battery tray clips off of the vents, drill hole, and use pan head screws to mount them to the aluminum spacer(15 minutes).

Fabricated, TIG'd, drilled and mounted in around an hour...give or take ...depending on how many beer breaks I decide to take...LOL
    Last edited by TANK'S 250; 08-26-2010 at 05:01 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Looks like you have a pretty good plan there, hope to see pics when your done. I was wondering with the doors sticking out a little more if it will rub the paint off the body faster, I have problems with that on both my e revo and revo bodies already but a simple piece of tape along the inside should prevent that- just a thought. Good luck with the mod
    That's Just How I Roll ««o==o>

RC Racer

LET THE INSANITY BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW- I love lockers...that SUMMIT crawled up that with very minimal throttle....pure awesomeness...

Last edited by TANK'S 250; 08-27-2010 at 01:45 PM.

RC Champion
    That looks like a table of fun! Have a good time.

Wish ya'll were nearby to bash with!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast