RC Enthusiast

strange differential issue

How smooth is the rotation of the rear diff on an E-revo? My rear diff out of my E-revo seems like its louder than it should be. whenever turning one of the ends (side that connects to center drive shaft) of the diff its making a clicking sound. and it will spin freely for a bit, then kinda feel like its catching on something.
    took the diff case apart and all the gears/inside of the diff cover look mint. not sure what the issue is. it kinda feels like it could even be catching on part of the diff case itself. (i know its a tight fit) i threw a couple of shims on the side where i thought it might be catching and that just made it feel even more notchy. do all rear diffs feel like this? any other fixes other than buying a new diff??
    thanks in advance guys.

RC Champion
    If you'r referring to the outer diff housing, then yes, they do have a slight bind in them. If you loosen the 4 screws a tad you'll notice the binding subsides.

It's been like this with the Revo diffs since day one....

I've just gotten use to it and moved on.....
    (√) Zer0 tall-er-ance 4 stu-pid-it-deeeeee.

RC Qualifier
    Mine was like this too out of the box.
    I took it all apart only to put it back together...
    After some use with it, it'll "break in" and the click & hang ups will go away.

RC Qualifier
    How many runs does the diff have? Like mentioned above if its pretty new then it will break in and loosen up a little and backing the outer case screws out just a hair from tight does help. You don't want to shim the inside too much or it will cause drag and wear the ring/pinion out faster, just shim untill there is no slop. It is possible you have a high spot on the inside if the case though, I have had to file a couple burrs down inside one of my cases but they were visible so if you see none then your probably ok.
    That's Just How I Roll o==o>

RC Enthusiast
    oh ok that makes sense, chassis is pretty new.

RC Qualifier
    If you're pushing inward at all on the pinion shaft while you're turning it, that'll make it feel more "notchy" (you're pushing the two gears into each other).

Try pulling outward slightly on the shaft as you turn it, it should feel smooth then.

Note that if you have shimmed it, a very slight occasional bind against 1 or 2 teeth as you turn it is normal, like said above this will go away once you start running it.