Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

what do you hate most about R/C?

thought I'd put it out there. what is everyone's part of R/C that they hate the most about it. I'll start.

I hate having to remove tires from rims and trying to save both. always end up with burnt fingers because i am to impatient to wait for them to cool down.

RC Qualifier
    Minnesota, hey look it's snowing again...
    Spending money. I used to be rich(well as rich as a 17 year old without a job can be) then I got into rc and now I am pore. But given the chance I would do it all again

Long live RC!!!
    Shea
    Suzuki
    Way of Life!

RC Champion
    For me, just the cost.
    ◄▲▼► SUMMIT ●○●○● 2 RUSTLER VXL's ●○●○● MERV ◄▲▼►

RC Champion
    The cost is what has prevented me from fixing my last remaining rc for the last two years.

RC Qualifier
    cost.......
    Jesus, Lights, RC

RC Racer
    gee now i'm tossing up what is worse. the money or the blister on my thumb from baking tires off just now

RC Qualifier
    For me... its the allure... of others who want to play with a serious toy they have not, nor ever will, invest the time and money (blood, sweat & tears included) into.
    But just want me to hand over the keys like its no big,.. like stop being a killjoy why dont ya.

ps, and that the RC hobby & Mr. Murphy's Law are too intertwined...

RC Qualifier
    By far, the cost. I am maintaining 2 trucks at the time, a Rustler VXL and an ERBE. I don't have money for anything else, anymore. I miss buying video games and songs on iTunes...

RC Racer
    I too would have to say it's the cost ......You Pay $400.00 or more for your truck, then to get it ready to really race you drop another 2 to 3 hundred in it. the hobby store charges 6.00 an hour to use their track and then like a fool you are running it around where you live trying to be the Hero of all the kids that live on your block and you hit the curb at 60mph and it's back to the hobby store where they have you by ball-joints, Now you ask will my Son have a R/C car when he is old enough .....you bet he will because it's just what we do
    MERV
    Slash
    Nitro Sport
    Nitro Stampede

RC Champion
    when your fleet is geared towards racing you cant simply go out and play. that kills me a little inside.

oh and the +/-200 bucks i sink into the hobby every month. ive got a roar card but not a drivers license... or a car... or any [non rc] spending money

oh yeah and the fact that when your racing 4 classes every week the hobby tends to take up most of your time
    Vintage TRX collector|Florida Dirt Oval racer

RC Qualifier
    Rancho Tehama or Red Bluff area or California
    Mr. Money Pit. And he needs a new brushless set up now when property taxes, dmv fees for the truck and tires for the truck yet. When you think you finaly own property out right, the government comes along and reminds you, you don't. Okay before I take this post down another route. MONEY is my answer.
    Broken parts=New better parts

RC Racer
    1. cleaning.
    2. cleaning.
    3. cleaning.
    4. fixing things i broke.
    5. run times. i love my baja 5T where i actually get tired driving 45+ minutes on one tank... i just wished that battery makers can eventually match the power output of gasoline...
    6. cleaning.
    leo d.

RC Qualifier
    Cost by far. And the fact I have no LHS thats worth going to. It sucks when what you want/need to get a truck running is $5 or so. and shipping is $5+ dollars. Even LiquidRC isnt such a great deal at times....
    HK Brushless Summit!!!

RC Champion
    Try maintaining 3 pedes and a slash 4x4 for the kids. Cost doesn't bother me considering how much thier sports, dance and scout acitivities run. RC is by far the cheapest activity in my household. The one thing I hate the most is replacing E-clips. Those lil things drive me crazy. My LHS knows mine and my wife's voice by heart...
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Champion
    What do I hate most about RC... I'd have to say the people that work in the RC departments at every hobby shop i've ever been to... Most are clueless and a good portion are just plan rude.

I personally don't see the cost to be a problem. Of all the hobbies i've had RC cars is by far the cheapest. I spend 10 times as much on 1/1 cars as I do RC.
    My mother
    Reba Collins 6/30/52 - 3/1/10 1:13pm

RC Racer
    +1 for cost! however, I DO think it is reasonable. The reason I love my Traxxas trucks is that they are durable as all get out, and when they break, I can replace what fails for not a lot of money. I just spent $70 on front A-Arms, Suspension Pins, and body clips and washers for my E-Maxx, and air-filter oil and glow plugs for my upcoming Revo. Considering what I bought, I think it was a good deal.
    E-Maxx 3905 BL 2.4GHz
    Revo 3.3

Cost, but down time comes a very close second.
    Some like R/C's that are fast, others like nitro

RC Enthusiast
    Cost is crappy, but it comes with the territory and plus, it doesn't cost that much to maintain mine and my sons Pedes.....(not until he slammed into the curb full throttle and basically broke the whole front end and the chassis split in 2).

For me, it's always wanting to get different vehicles, I'm never content because there are so many different RC's out there I want to try it's never ending...I need to learn to be content with what I have.....since the end of Feb, I have gone through a savage, 2 merv vxl's and a rusty vxl... currently have a Pede (son's) and Pede vxl..

RC Champion
    COST AND DOWNTIME! (downtime due to cost)

I really wanna drive but can't because I've got no money to buy parts... so expensive

RC Qualifier
    The thing I hate about RC the most is the LHC is not open 24/7...
    No you cant drive it
    my RC is owner operated only

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by nunster
    Mr. Money Pit. And he needs a new brushless set up now when property taxes, dmv fees for the truck and tires for the truck yet. When you think you finaly own property out right, the government comes along and reminds you, you don't. Okay before I take this post down another route. MONEY is my answer.
    You are 100% right, though. For us older guys, real life expenses come before hobby expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Dknuckles
    The one thing I hate the most is replacing E-clips. Those lil things drive me crazy.
    Although I think I'm in the minority when I say I have no issues whatsoever using E-clips, STRC makes a hinge pin set for the Rustler/'Pede that uses lock nuts on the ends, and I run them on one of my Rustlers. You might want to look into it.

https://www.rcplanet.com/ProductDeta...de=SPTST3640BK
    ◄▲▼► SUMMIT ●○●○● 2 RUSTLER VXL's ●○●○● MERV ◄▲▼►

RC Qualifier
    Thinking more on a grand scale... locally we only have 1 good shop and a few marginal shops... we have no "real" tracks that have MX racing within an hour or so...
    The Bashing Grounds
    Ross M.
    5-Pointer!

Boone722
    Well for me it's "cost" also.But by far the part I hate the most is trying to explain it to my wife !

RC Champion
    Cost, stripped screws (cost), broken expensive electronics (cost), and down time (cost).

RC Qualifier
    $$$$$$$, i spent like $500 to $700 this year revamping my slah and then i ran it like 25 times to 30...
    i am the most modest man, thats why im better

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay 313
    You are 100% right, though. For us older guys, real life expenses come before hobby expenses.

Although I think I'm in the minority when I say I have no issues whatsoever using E-clips, STRC makes a hinge pin set for the Rustler/'Pede that uses lock nuts on the ends, and I run them on one of my Rustlers. You might want to look into it.

https://www.rcplanet.com/ProductDeta...de=SPTST3640BK
    Thanks for the link. I'm going to order a set next week. I bend and break those lil pieces constantly and am waiting to hear if RPM will replace my casters because of that failed pin. I doubt it, but you never know. Thanks again for posting...

cost and downtime for me as well.

i maintain about a dozen vehicles and it's getting a bit pricey. i'm gonna have to cut back alot this winter cause my daughter is back in private school.

down time is #2, and more specifically downtime from busted escs. i think i finally fixed that issue though. i got another 7 vxl-3S' and a v-twin e-revo to last the winter before all my mambas are back for repair. j/k
    One mans garbage is another mans ungarbage" -Ricky

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Smasher!
    Ditch the RPM casters, they are like the only part that suck form RPM. Get aluminum or go back to stock, I ran stock for like 2 years.
    I replacd them with the stock ones for now. I'm going to switch to Aluminum when they break again.

RC Racer
    40 dollars a gallon. and also fixing the transmission on my t maxx everytime i run it. but i have figured out i need to loosen the slipper clutch. so maybe that problem is fixed.
    my trucks: t maxx, e maxx, and stampede :)

RC Racer
    the cost of it. but you get what you pay for. im very impressed with esc that i bought but still i need a brushless motor and lipo's. And e clips those things for me are just hard to get off. And they break so back to the hobbydearler.
    03 ACCORD EXV6 SEDAN
    Smooth as silk

Lets look at the positives of RC:
    (1) Fun
    (2) Gets you outside (unless carpet racing)
    (3) You learn about mechanics
    (4) It's something to do in spare time ...

Minuses:
    (1) Expensive, Expensive, Expensive!
    (2) Puts a dent in your wallet
    (3) Can result to injury
    (4) --- Do they have RC Addicts ? RC Anonymous?
    I broke it again . . . \_(ツ)_/

RC Racer
    It's addictive,expensive, and very very costly.
    I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

RC Qualifier
    * Wrenching; esp. when I need to get deep down to certain parts of the truck. (One needs alot of patience in this hobby)

* Down time (Due to Costs as others have mentioned; AND Breaking Parts)
    **I hope there are RCs in Heaven; EMBE + 6S FTW!**

RC Racer
    The cost is is the only problem and that's why I've been on hold with my maxx for 3months...I'm only 15 and I have to get my dad to order everything I need off the internet if the lhs doesn't have it (small store and only 1 in a reasonable area, 35mins away too). The next one is in new Jersey more than an hour away. Also my lunch money is my allowance, whatever I don't spend I keep lol. I always have to decide between more army surplus stuff or getting back into rc now or for the winter. Not enough money for both...
    14.4v dewalt, e-maxx
    Xbox 360 garp21

RC Champion
    prices are ok, i mean its how they make their profit, and plus look how durablew the trucks are you deffinetely get waht you pay for. in a good way. and my main concern is when i do break parts
    if you want me to i can break your truck for free!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by john01374
    What do I hate most about RC... I'd have to say the people that work in the RC departments at every hobby shop i've ever been to... Most are clueless and a good portion are just plan rude
    AMEN brother i have been to hundreds of hobby stores and have walked out angry from most of them it seems if you dont work there or hang out with those that do you are treated as a joke
    MERV
    Slash
    Nitro Sport
    Nitro Stampede

RC Qualifier
    the amount of people who dont know the hobby exists
    erevo, ubuntu.com

RC Competitor
    The cost.....
    Warn: (99%)SI 480HP mugen無限power
    teamultraspeed

RC Champion
    Time to just go play and wrench.

Cost used to be the issue, but like alot of people: work = money but, work + family= no time.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Qualifier
    The money, hands down. I can stand accidentally breaking a part every time I use any of my cars. I can even stand all the work it takes to remove 1 simple part that got broken when I haven't even used the RCs for a week or 2. What I can't stand is the 30 dollars for a tiny piece of aluminum, the 10 bucks for a shred of plastic, and the 4 bucks for a bearing.
    Traxxas Slash
    Losi XXX
    Most of a Traxxas Bandit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast