RC Racer

other slipper options????

I just had my third slipper go out on me. All stock. All either tight or super tight. One on my brushless summit. The other two on my street erbe and on my bashing erbe. I've done the proper break in to the slipper.

Instead of keep doing slipper rebuilds, is there a better method or other options so this doesn't keep happening?

All three times, the slippers get super hot and warp the thin plate and one time it even got hot enough to melt the spur gear. None of the brake pads look worn.

So what other options do I have?

RC Racer
    Do you have the aluminum pads? THIS

Hot Racing makes a 6 pad slipper you could look into
    Race Hard! Ask Questions Later!!

RC Champion
    that means your pads are getting glazed over. It can happen with 1:1 size cars as well under heavy use. The best fix is the aluminum e-maxx slipper pads. They bite hard. So hard they broke my rear differential when installed them and tried it out on carpet.

RC Champion
    I have been running the Hot Racing slipper with six stock Traxxas pads on my converted LST. The slipper is awesome, I'm talking about a 14 pound truck with a Neu 1521 1Y. No sweat the Hot Racing slipper can handle it.
    It's been fun. See ya.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    http://www.hot-racing.com/index.cgi?...=TRX15GP;c=431

Terrible picture, but its a great slipper setup.

Here's a thread by a user:

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=516351
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Racer

HR Slipper and HD aluminum pads

Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like the HR Slipper is the way to go with the HD Aluminum pads.( x 3!!! ouch!!!)

Is there a different option that eliminates that thin metal plate? To where the pressure plate and pads push directly on the hub instead of the metal plate? I thought I seen one some where a while back.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    There is a guy who sells a locker for the newer slipper/ tranny design, that removes the slipper part completely. Otherwise, there are only upgrades for the older 3906 style slipper that I know of..

RC Competitor
    Im thinking about this if I warp another back plate? Anyone tried ithttp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...PageName=STRK:
    E-Revo MMM
    Boulder Holder

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Seen a few guys using it, okay by all accounts. I never had issues with the backplate, it was the slipper-pad holder that cracked apart on me, cant fully tighten the nut without it breaking..

RC Enthusiast
    The Tmaxx Brake disk is the longest lasting option i have used.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ykndoit
    Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like the HR Slipper is the way to go with the HD Aluminum pads.( x 3!!! ouch!!!)
    This is just a suggestion, try six stock pads on the HR slipper before going with aluminum pads. I found that both pads work very differently. The stock pads have a more progressive slip and the aluminum pads are very aggressive.

Here's better pics of the HR slipper

Last edited by mistercrash; 09-03-2010 at 10:27 AM.
    It's been fun. See ya.

RC Qualifier
    +1 on the tmaxx brake disc. it grabs great and its not as sensitive to adjustment. i only ever ran on 6s too so you know it held up.

RC Competitor
    Ever since I blew out the clutch that was on my ERBE stock, I have gone through 4 sets of the green pads, funny thing the ones that came with the ERBE looked like they were aluminum.

Good thread thanks and thanks for all the info.

Deke
    dbl stuffed oreo's are the best! :)

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Deke
    Ever since I blew out the clutch that was on my ERBE stock, I have gone through 4 sets of the green pads, funny thing the ones that came with the ERBE looked like they were aluminum.

Good thread thanks and thanks for all the info.

Deke
    any more info on the green pads?

RC Qualifier
    Green pads??????? This may be your problem as I've never heard or seen green pads for the Erevo. Stock are fiberish dark gray ones, and the aluminum ones are well, aluminum color.

I run the T-maxx brake disc mod and have had zero troubles.

RC Competitor
    Well they look dark green to me. Maybe I'm color blind.
    Either way the fiber pads suck, on a mamba monster E-Revo.

As for slipper clutch break in instructions where does one find these?

I have a 5608, it came with the 5603 manual, the parts list was 5608, and the exploded views were all rev 091201-R00, and the transmission Assembly view didn't even mention the 5352R slipper clutch only the 5352X, looking at the new exploded views on-line and the hardware list, now shows that part number.

I kept wondering what the heck am I doing wrong as I kept melting spur gears, and warping, breaking, clutch assemblies (4 sets of 5351 & 5352X), that doesn't include bearings 5116 too) and I never got to run a single one of the sets to the end of the battery charge, they all melted before that, so it's been a bit frustrating, trying to determined what's wrong.

So now I'm waiting for 5352R, 5351, and 5116 kits, the 5352R are pretty much out of stock in a lot of places.

Deke

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyofDarkness
    There is a guy who sells a locker for the newer slipper/ tranny design, that removes the slipper part completely. Otherwise, there are only upgrades for the older 3906 style slipper that I know of..
    is this a good idea? i hate slippers...pain in the rear; just another thing to maintain or adjust all the time.

how about the slipper locker along with center diff?
    also do you have a link or place to see this part? thanks

RC Qualifier
    This is what I I've been using since I put the 1518 in.

http://www.robinsonracing.com/catalog/e-revo.html
    MBX6T CC 1520
    CF Sav Flux CC 1520
    MERV Neu 1112

RC Competitor
    Ok, how long have you been running that metal spur?

Are you running 6s?

Are you a basher or other?

Is it noisy?

Do you like it?

Was it worth it? I've seen as low as $38 USD

Deke

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Deke
    Ok, how long have you been running that metal spur?

Are you running 6s?

Are you a basher or other?

Is it noisy?

Do you like it?

Was it worth it? I've seen as low as $38 USD

Deke
    I've been running it for the past month. I have a Neu/Castle 1518 so I needed a slipper that could take the power since the stock slipper was slipping way too easily. Only running 6s and it's holding up good. Pretty much the whole back side of the spur is the slipper. A lot more area compared to the three pads of the stocker. It's definitely louder than normal. Only complaint is that it only comes in 60t and 65t. The first I had was the 65t which was slightly uneven and was returned for the 60t which is much better. If you do get it I would make sure your motor is secured. I took it on some 15ft - 20ft vertical jumps and I ruined 2 pinions. The spur was undamaged at all.

I also have the aluminum slipper pads. I use it with my MOD 1 spur and pinion for my speed runs. For around $8 it's a lot cheaper and works just as good. I havent bashed with this setup and have only used it on speed runs though.
    MBX6T CC 1520
    CF Sav Flux CC 1520
    MERV Neu 1112

RC Racer
    Can u use the t-maxx 1 piece pad on the HR slipper?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Doubt it very much, not without trimming it alot to fit.

RC Competitor
    Well I was tired of wasting money on the on the stock 5352X clutch pads, as they just don't work with mamba monster power, IMO.

So I got HR double up clutch kit as pictured by mistercrash, along with the aluminum pads that HR makes, and yes I put all 6 of them on!

It's amazing you actually have real adjustment to the slipper clutch, it was a perfect fit.

I would highly recommend this to anyone who is having clutch problems.

All together it cost $31.00, not including snail-mail.

Better then spending $15.00 on stock stuff only to then burn up a bearing and melt a spur which then costed me about $25 in the end, after doing that 4 times, I was pretty frustrated, being a newbie ERBE user, I thought it was my fault, but guess what, Traxxas changed there hardware list and exploded view to now include the 5352R HD aluminum pad clutch rebuild kit, as mentioned by freqdrive.

Now driving again.

Deke

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyofDarkness
    I tried one of Oomps lockers and it took me about 5 minutes to destroy my rear diff. IMHO these brushless setups have WAY too much instant torque to run without some sort of slipper. It may work with a BB nitro setup but I took it out and ended up selling it. Great piece and great idea...maybe if you were a on-road only guy it would work a bit better.
    Vantage/MMM/1515 Revo
    MMM/1518 Revo
    T-Maxx 3.3

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Heh heh, too much power. Thats why I wish traxxas would make proper 1/8 diffs, then you'd just have to worry about twisting driveshafts instead...

RC Qualifier
    Or maybe you wouldn´t have to be worried about that

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXDN2&P=ML

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Seen those in the other thread - $100 for 4 drive shafts is insane, considering the plastic stockers last a good while and cost a fraction of that price...

RC Racer
    You really would only need two of those! Dunno why, but I've yet to break a front axle due to "too much power". Mind you, poles, swingsets, and cartwheels have done their fair share of breaking front ones but never from the mamba. Maybe its cause my truck is always on the wing doing a wheelie!

I have summit axles on the rears now,stock on the front. No more broken axles!