Thread: bit annoyed

RC Qualifier

bit annoyed

I am getting a bit annoyed by the people complaining that a slash 4x4 can not get a podium place on a short course race
    I keep reading that a hyper or a jamming is way superior to a slash 4x4.
    That a slash 4x4 is a basher and not a racer.

I live in the Netherlands and I do get up the podium occasionally.
    The hobby is not that big here . I guess we have about 50 short course racers here in the Netherlands, and mainly drive slash 4x4 and a few Jammins.

How about you guys in the USA ? do you slash 4x4 drivers take a podium?

Is it fair to compete against Jammins and Ofna’s ?

What do you think? What is your opinion?

Slash 4x4 is a great car, maybe a bit harder to drive under certain circumstances

Should Traxxas make a low COG slash 4x4?

How many really serious short course competitors does the USA have?
    I’m not talking about the pro’s but folks that actually practice a lot and do a race every week?
    slash 4x4 VXL, Novak HV4.5, MMP

I am not a racer but I do have friends who are. The slash 4x4 does a good job of placing. I have seen plenty of races where it comes in the top three. I think its more the driver than the truck. I am quite sure that a lot more people will chime in on this. I would guess that there are several thousands to hundreds of thousands of people that practice and race in the US.

RC Champion
    if traxxas wanted a racer the CoG would of been lower. but they might bring out a full racer or even a lower chassis.

RC Champion
    around here all the ofnas and jammins hardly ever finish a race. they always seem to snap something. like if the clip they inside of a corner they always break something. the slash just keeps going.
    Slash 4x4 MMP-HV 5.5
    Slash Sidewinder SC 3800kv

RC Racer
    ....but they would not call it a slash 4x4...

maybe they would call it something like a "bandit" or a "rustler".

The slash 4x4 is designed as a racer that can bash. If they made the COG lower it would be a racer that was less good at bashing, and if they made it higher it would be a basher that is terrible at racing.

If you want a really low COG get a racing buggy but don't expect to bash with it, or an on-road car that would smash to pieces on the first jump on a short-course track.

RC Qualifier
    dont get me wrong. I love my slash 4x4, I had a jammin scrt10 but sold it again, couse I like the handeling of the slash 4x4 much more than a jammin.

but most jammin drivers keep whining that their truck is so much better and a slash 4x4 is no match for them..

and that upsets me

still by far the slash 4x4 has the most realistic shortcourse driving

Edited for questionable language, please keep it squeaky clean guys
    Dadx2mj
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 09-03-2010 at 10:02 AM.

RC Qualifier
    just like everything else, there are people like it and there are people hate it...and it's the same as the full-size racing, cars accounts for 20% and driving talent counts for 80%. Those who obssessed with winning races always take things too seriously and just love to brag about buggies and only buggies.

people who never enjoyed the versatility of Traxxas R/C vehicles and the aboundance of technical & parts support & aftermarkets parts will never gets it...nothing is perfect but at least the Slash 4X4 shine in it's modular design and the advantages above over its competitors.

I have done extensive research before I got the Slash 4X4 UE and may I say the others merely are 1/8 buggies trying to be a true scale short-course truck in design...

I never get buggies and will never get buggies...I like true to scale trucks and that's why I get Traxxas Slash 4X4!

Good on you Traxxas!
    Facebook Fan Page www.moochie888.com.au

RC Qualifier
    We have a few of those ofna/hoboa/etc/etc things running here, notice that almost 4-5 manufactures have what looks like the same thing. Odd. Anyway they compete well, but lately the Slashes have been killing them. That and they take the beating of a hard landing, tumble anyday. I have seen too many SCRT10 dnf's due to breakage. I have also seen a 4x4 break a front hub and still place 2nd on 2x4. Goes to show.
    ENJOY the hobby, don't HATE it.

RC Qualifier
    I race pretty much every weekend. I race 1/8th Scale buggy class. We'll have anywhere from 10-15 4x4 shortcourse trucks on a given race day (I hear a lot more during the weekday races, but I can't make it out midweek). Slash 4x4's probably make up about 60% of the field, but the number is dropping, when I first started, I'd say it made up about 95% of the field. Though Slash 4x4's are plenty competitive and yes they do podium, it's becoming less so as other people switch manufacturers that are more geared toward racing such as the Hobao trucks (Ofna/Jammin). Racing comes down to driver skill, so a pro with a pretty sloppy set-up using a Slash 4x4 will beat 99% of us if we used a perfectly setup Hobao product. But when you start talking about driver skill that is equal, then the small advantages matter, that's where the Hoboa trucks make a difference on the race track. As far as durability, sure the Slash 4x4 wins hands down (with a few mods), but I normally race on an indoor clay track that's really easy on the trucks, so we dont see too many broken cars/trucks.

BTW, for reference of how fast both are, during practice when all classes are on the track together, I've ran my 1/8th scale Losi 8ight-E (MMM2650, 4s) and never been beaten by a Slash 4x4, but I have been slower than a few Hyper 10 and Jammin SCRT10's before (VERY good drivers wheeling them). I'm not a great driver, but I'm not terrible either. Also, the track is tight, but on the outdoor track that's quite large, I've never been beat by either, so it goes to show their strengths and weaknesses.
    Last edited by ScottKelly911; 09-03-2010 at 11:57 AM.
    Slash 4x4 PE - MMM 2650, Losi 8ight 2.0 Shocks

RC Champion
    Q ok why does the slash lose.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by turok
    Probably because it is not based on a 1/8 buggy chassis. The Slash doesn't have a standard 3-diff setup. It also has a higher center of gravity. I could see the Slash struggling to keep up with the other buggy-based trucks with a driver at the same skill level for those reasons alone. The buggy-based trucks will handle, turn and jump better than the Slash. If I was going to race exclusively, I wouldn't use the Slash 4x4. I mostly bash, so the Slash is the right choice for me.

RC Champion
    so if it was lower and it had diffs would it do a lot better or still be hard going.

RC Competitor
    reread #2, #4 and #8
    Moving into the future since the last century.

RC Qualifier
    i picked up an scrt10 the other day and on my first lap lost the front upper arm hingepin, not impressed so far. at least i had my slash with me to keep running..
    slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by bbex
    The Slash doesn't have a standard 3-diff setup.
    Last time I checked my Slash had three tuneable fluid-filled diffs.
    Turbo in the front, groceries in the back.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by turbowop
    Last time I checked my Slash had three tuneable fluid-filled diffs.
    went and looked at mine and it has 3 diffs also! maybe you and i have some kind of super secret limited editions?

RC Qualifier
    I think its all on personal preference, i chose the slash 4x4 because of traxxas' durability and reliability. Thats why i am only ever going to but traxxas' products.
    Pede vxl, Rusty vxl, Merv vxl, Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    In the race community, there are a lot of Traxxas haters. Tons of them. And a lot of the guys running the more race oriented brands like to talk all sorts of trash.

For me, the only downside to this truck is the higher COG. It's otherwise just as tuneable as any other rig on the track. And in the hands of a capable driver, it can be driven to a podium finish pretty easily. The problem is, because of this racer mentality, you don't see a lot of the fast guys driving a Slash 4x4.

I think in a race between two good drivers, one driving a Slash 4x4 and one driving one of the other "race" brands, it would be a lot closer than most think.
    Turbo in the front, groceries in the back.

RC Competitor
    This is so true, racers tend to think Traxxas is just a basher car, and most of this perception is because of the Slash 2wd. People just forget when Traxxas made the 2wd, they had no competition and is made for bashing hence the very high cg.

We have had 2 4wd races so far and I joined both, finishing 2nd twice (on stock tires). I am the only one racing the Slash 4x4, they are all running hyper and jammins.

Quote Originally Posted by turbowop
    In the race community, there are a lot of Traxxas haters. Tons of them. And a lot of the guys running the more race oriented brands like to talk all sorts of trash.

For me, the only downside to this truck is the higher COG. It's otherwise just as tuneable as any other rig on the track. And in the hands of a capable driver, it can be driven to a podium finish pretty easily. The problem is, because of this racer mentality, you don't see a lot of the fast guys driving a Slash 4x4.

I think in a race between two good drivers, one driving a Slash 4x4 and one driving one of the other "race" brands, it would be a lot closer than most think.

RC Competitor
    I sold my 4x4 slash and picked up a used SCRT10. I liked the 4x4 slash quite a bit, the truck does look and drive in a very scale way. Jumps great, and w/ the center diff and sway bars is competitive.

ALthough, after only driving the jammin at our little local track, I can tell you that there is a pretty large difference in the trucks. The jammin is very composed, goes straight, turns hard and fast, and accelerates hard.

The jammin is a buggy w/ a truck body, the slash is it's own type of rc vehicle, which I think is cool. I just didn't want to buy the all the PE parts extra, so I got the Jammin which comes stock w/ that stuff.

I have a bud who has a slash, he's got everything, big bores, mmm/2650, swaybars, center diff, calibers, kingshead bearing holder and assorted other stuff. We ran tonite and we were pretty evenly matched. The main difference is the Jammin will stay more composed at the ragged edge. The jammin is really too easy to drive and almost doesn't seem fair to use against the 4x4...

RC Qualifier
    I think. that if traxxas didnt made the 2wd slash, there wasnt a jammin or ofna sc truck out there.

thanks to traxxas and traxxas only the sc class is growing huge

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MVB
    I think. that if traxxas didnt made the 2wd slash, there wasnt a jammin or ofna sc truck out there.

thanks to traxxas and traxxas only the sc class is growing huge
    Absolutely! There's no doubt about that! Traxxas was definitely an innovator with the SC trucks which is exactly what the hobby needed. It not only brought new people into the hobby, it brought old guys that had been away from the hobby for about 10-15 years.
    Slash 4x4 PE - MMM 2650, Losi 8ight 2.0 Shocks

RC Qualifier
    With some money, time and research you can make this truck as good if not better then any truck out there. Then it's all up to the driver!
    Pede vxl, Rusty vxl, Merv vxl, Slash 4x4

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade906
    With some money, time and research you can make this truck as good if not better then any truck out there. Then it's all up to the driver!

what would you spend the money on.

RC Competitor
    what would you spend the money on.
    here is my list of recommendations assuming you want to race
    1 if you dont have one, get a center diff
    2 baseline the truck to the Slayden setup
    3 pay for track practice time. nothing you can bolt on is going to make you a better driver. look around at the better drivers at the local track. what differentiates the top level drivers from others is how many laps they have put in over time. this is where to spend your money first.
    4 replace/upgrade parts as they break or wear out.