Thread: Lipo swell/puff

RC Racer

Lipo swell/puff

I have a few older hard lipos that have been running great. They balance fine and work fine. I ordered a few new ones and when I compared them I noticed the older ones have a very slight puff or rounded appearence vs the new.

I always balance charge....never run them too low..I only race one 5-7 minute race on a pack. I never recharge them more than once per day. Overall a pretty easy life on a battery.

They work great but just holding them side to side vs the new they have a more rounded appearance. I looked at the rest and noticed the swelling or rounded seems to be consistant with the age of the batteries. The oldest ones have the most rounded profile all the way up to the brand new ones that are perfectly flat.

I looked at a few of the batts from other guys at the track and have noticed the same thing...the newer batteries have scuffs from use on the edgesbut as they get older you see scuffs appearing in the midle of the battery as it starts to get the "rounded" profile. It seem to be the same on both hard and soft packs... regardless of brand...one guy said his soft packs were a tight fit when new (last year) and this year they are getting near impossible to get in.

I asked the LHS and they told me they were gonna go bad soon and that they must have been ran low or overheated......no way to either of those. I dont even like to leave them in my truck on race day without all the windows wide open. I am pretty frekin ****...I know guys who leave their stuff in their trucks all summer. I am too paranoid and always store my batteries indoors.

Is this normal????? anyone else notice this???? or am I just nuts
    Emaxx,E-Revo,4x4 Slash,2-Blitz's,Firestorm,Mini T

I think that all your observations are correct, and that you LHS wants you to buy new batteries from them. If they run fine, charge fine, and they aren't swelling from use, then I wouldn't worry about it. Just run them until the performance starts to really lack.
    Some like R/C's that are fast, others like nitro

RC Competitor
    My lipos have done the same thing. They are not hard cased, but they have settled into a gently rounded shape. I don't worry about it; they work fine and balance good. They've been abused more than yours, though. When racing, I tend to just run one pack all night, recharging between rounds. When practicing, I generally run until the LVC hits. But they just keep trucking on.

RC Racer
    Yeah I see guys at the track run 2 truck per night with only 3 batts total!

I could see wearing out a battery pretty quick that way.....I may charge 2 batteries once a night if I am racing all 4 of my trucks but thats rare.

The conclusion here as well as RCtech seems to be its normal for a small swelling to occur over time. I was just suprised when I saw the new ones and could see such a difference. With a little luck they will have a long full life.

Thanks for your replies
    Emaxx,E-Revo,4x4 Slash,2-Blitz's,Firestorm,Mini T