RC Racer

Looking for a charger

Ok so I am still new to the RC world. I am looking for a charger for my NIMH batteries. One of the guys here says i really need to discharge the batteries and charge them properly to ensure their life span.

I have been looking at the Thunder AC6 charger but am not sure and also do not see many vids about it and have a questions about wether it has a TRX connector avalible. RIght now I use 5000-5100MAH packs.

Not sure about LIPOs as of yet because Im not sure how easy it would be to get them back home from over here.

Im lookin at 50-60 bucks here.

Thx

Rob

RC Qualifier
    U can buy a traxxas connector, in that price range that is a good buy

RC Qualifier
    get a charger that in the future you can charge lipo packs. I think the thunder is a good charger. I have saw vids on youtube that show all the features of it.
    You just solder a trx connector on.

RC Qualifier
    Hyperion in my opinion are one of the best....

I agree about the Hyperion! I love mine, it will be great also when and if you go lipo.

RC Qualifier
    Hyperion makes the best chargers currently, but they can be pricey. The Thunder A6 is a great choice for the mah level of the packs you listed, it will have no problem charging those.It does great with both NIMH and LiPo. Plus, you do not need to purchase a power supply for it, which can run you 50-60 dollars.

Soldering a traxxas connector is VERY easy, I did it with a 60 watt iron, and it was only like my fifth or sixth soldering job.
    If you don't want to solder, I am sure someone at your local hobby store would be happy to do it for you.
    Last edited by VGP12; 09-18-2010 at 09:54 AM.

RC Racer
    Thanks guys. I am still researching but for lipos I have to look at shipping these home to Hawaii then I have to get htem from Hawaii to my next duty station as the army wont ship batteries.

I had to laugh though, Local hobby shop. They only have hobbies that explode here

RC Competitor
    Stick 'em with the rest of your household good dude... TMO doesn't have to know what they're shipping.

"Yeah, it's just an old ammo can with RC parts in it."

RC Racer
    I wish!! My wife follows every rule there is. When I moved to hawaii I had to have my folks mail me all my hobby paint because she wouldnt let me hide it in the shipment.

So this is where Im at. Looking at the Thunder AC6 but I will have to get the traxxas plug from another site. Because the amazon store doesnt ship to APO.

Just need the wifes approval to hit pay now if thats what i decide.

Thx

Rob

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by kdog
    I wish!! My wife follows every rule there is. When I moved to hawaii I had to have my folks mail me all my hobby paint because she wouldnt let me hide it in the shipment.

Rob

Sorry dude, that's funny... My wife is the same way.

RC Qualifier
    My hobby shop sell pre made traxxas high current plugs connected to banana plug leads that just insert in the Thunder charger. I think it cost 7.00 dollars. I have one of these charges and it works great for me. I just plan on charging my 2 5000mah 40C lipo packs. Did soldier Traxxas high current connectors onto my venom batteries. Venom's universal connector system seemed cheap compared to the Traxxas HC plug so I did not want to skimp.

RC Racer
    Anyone use this DuraTrax Onyx 230 AC/DC Advanced Charger w/LCD

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Freelanceshots
    Did soldier Traxxas high current connectors onto my venom batteries. Venom's universal connector system seemed cheap compared to the Traxxas HC plug so I did not want to skimp.
    That's a good idea. Between me and three of my friends that use Venom LiPo's, all of us have had the universal connectors fail over time. Best to just solder on a TRX plug from the start.
    Turbo in the front, groceries in the back.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by kdog
    Anyone use this DuraTrax Onyx 230 AC/DC Advanced Charger w/LCD

Yup, that's what I have with a Losi balancer. I'm the new guy to this stuff but the Onyx works well for me.

Edited for Language
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 09-19-2010 at 12:42 AM.

RC Qualifier
    One of the guys over here at Hammer has one Kdog and it works great. If you shoot me a PM and I can give you some APO friendly places that will send Lipos over here. I ussually pick my batteries up off of eBay. Amazon and Wal-Mart are very APO unfriendly.
    "Obedience alone gives the right to command."

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Take a look at the Dynamite Passport Ultra. It is AC/DC compatible, will charge nearly every battery type I can think of and has discharge capabilities for routine Nimh maintenance. Great charger!!!