RC Champion

Shims for the diff

I posted a thread a while back and i was having a problem with my diff clicking, lots of people told me to get a new diff but if i did that i would just keep having the same problem again and again. so then i will need to buy new ones and its going to cost me alot of money, and i thought if i used shims it would not happen again. but i never got a reply on the thread so i thought I'd ask again, are there any shims for the slash 4x4???

thanks!
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Qualifier
    specifically for it, no.
    I bought a pack of Losi shims that fit.
    -- > Republic Racing < --

I haven't had that problem. You are still having that problem? Have you ever called Traxxas for help?

RC Champion
    yes I'm still havering that problem, and a new problem too, when i accelerate it makes a really bad sounding clicking nose. i narrowed it down to the rear diff (ran without the alum tube going through the chassis) so i took the rear diff apart but theirs no sings of wear, so i think thy must be slipping (pinon against the ring gear) i think the only fix would be shims.

also mud puppy could you give me a link to the shims your using.

thanks!
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

Do you have a friend with a slash 4x4? Maybe you could switch diffs with him to see if maybe you have gotten a defective part.

RC Qualifier
    sorry, I don't have a part number. just went to the hobby shop and grabbed what fit.
    -- > Republic Racing < --

RC Qualifier
    3racing and yokomo both make 12mm shim kits, but i dont see them offered anywhere in the US.

It does sound like you have a defective part or another problem somewhere.

Are you sure the clicking isnt from the main gear? The mesh of main and pinion gear? Worn out motor mount bearing allowing play in the main and pinion?

RC Champion
    no i don't think so, i even got my brother to set the gear mesh and it still happens. and the motor mount bearing seems fine. and i forgot to say the clicking started after i took it off a big jump and did a back flip.

@El sob

i have a full set of new front and rear diffs so i guess i could try those out

would these work? http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-was...s-p-28342.html
    Last edited by cooleocool; 09-23-2010 at 06:26 PM. Reason: merge
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Qualifier
    Have you changed your diff housings. They're pretty cheap and there could be play coming from them especially after big jumps.
    JESUS says: "Fix it B4 it Breaks!"

RC Champion
    ok i will first try some shims and if that dose not work i will get some new diff housings
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

Do us all a favor. Take pics of the slipper assembly and the diff that's making noise. Might be able to see something you have missed.

RC Champion
    ok i will get some pics up tomorrow
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Champion
    sorry i have taken soooo long i bad a bussy week

ok first i got some shims at the Hobbie shop, but when i put them on the bearing thy sit on the blue part so im thinking that not going to work cuz i need it to sit on the inner metal part or the outer metal part of the bearing
    (i think)

and the shim on the diff

and here are some other pics (sorry i tried to just get as many as i could so i hope thy help)

thanks.
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC poster
    Hi there

I also have the same problem (clicky diff) and i have narrowed it down, its the little pinion gear that connects to the ring gear, you can wiggle it side to side and then it does not run quite true on the ring gear, It appears that the bearing is a little to loose in the diff housing, So it looks like the diff housing becomes worn how ever mine has only done about 10 runs and its clicking already.took me a while to work it out but its defiantly the pinion wobbling about causing mine, might try putting something round the bearing to Jam it in there i think that should solve it, Does any one know if there are any Metal diff housings for these yet ? might be a nice feature, if there are not any available i might have to have some made up

RC Champion
    ok i will go give that a try thx
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Racer
    Same problem here!!!! seems like play in the bearing. gonna try new bearings I really hope that fixes the problem then can work on ways to keep this from happening!!!!
    GO HARD OR GO HOME!

RC Champion
    ok i just tried so see if a had any play in the pinion gear that connects to the ring gear but it seems i have none at all. so i will try and keep looking for shims i think the mini revo shims that ppl use might work. cuz the inner diameter is 6mm and the ring gear shaft is 5.95mm so im thinking it might fit but it will be a tight one.
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Champion
    ok today i just made some shim out of a tin can and thy fit perfectly but when i put them on and got my truck back together it still clicks now i think it must be the diff housings, its ether defective or got deformed after the big jump so looks like i will buy some more diff housings

anyone know if any company makes alum diff housings??
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Racer
    One guy replied to my thread about the same thing. he even included a vid. He has the same thing goin on, but reasured this happens and there is nothing to worry about. Check out the thread, Bearings????
    GO HARD OR GO HOME!

RC Qualifier
    Did you ever try a new main gear?

Just a very tiny deformity on the main gear tooth will cause a click.
    It can be very hard to see just from looking in through the gear cover.
    Pull out the slipper unit and pop on a new main gear just to eliminate that as a possible problem.

RC Champion
    when you are talking about main gear do you mean the big gear in the diff or the spur?
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC poster
    I agree with skeppley. I suspect the motor is slightly loose in the mount and when you took the big jump the pinion ate up a few teeth on the spur gear thus causing the click. Inspect the spur for scraped or shrunk teeth. If you find anything you can use an exacto knife to clean/slightly shave the damaged teeth and reinstall to see if the noise is gone or lessened. If the noise is gone you could just leave it alone or replace the gear. Be sure to tighten the motor to the mount as well.

RC Champion
    no the thing is this is no clicking nose, it also prevents me to accelerate fast, so its not just some derby in the spur gear. its slipping and clicking at the same time. it also sounds like a metal on metal clicking/slipping (my friends mini revo had a diff problem and it sounds the same)
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Champion
    ok just got new diff housing for the rear gina try it on now

ok i feel realy dumb. i found the problem and it was not my diff it was one of my wheel hubs! it was stripped so i just put a new one on and it worked grate! but my wheel nut keep loosening off and then it happings again. so then i just have to tighten my wheel nut and then its fine again

any one know of any good wheel nuts that don't loosen off?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 10-03-2010 at 04:55 PM. Reason: merge
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Racer
    You can just stop by your local home depot or where ever and grab a couple 4mm lock nuts, they won't cost more than a buck for 4. Also try a little BLUE LOCK TIGHT. 4mm flanged lock nuts seem to work the best as they have ridges on the back side that also help grab your wheel.
    I am just assuming that the nylon has worn out of your nut and thats what holds it on.
    GO HARD OR GO HOME!

RC Champion
    ya i think i will get some more nuts, and just thread lock them up with some of the blue lock tight (already have some)

i was also thinking i should get some alum hubs but if i get alum hubs won't my wheels just wear out? instead of the hubs?

but i would like to thank every one for all the help its been grate!
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410