RC Competitor

Asphalt Track Idea, Need Advice.

so,

my local track is just the Hobby Shop's parking lot. its tons of fun, but definitely not the norm for racing a Slash 4x4.

We have a jump mixed in, but its a very tight track that we share with on-road cars so the jumps have to be small and light enough for us to move around in between races. Speeds are very moderate through most of the course, with usually a decent speed down the back straight.

A few of the racers have gotten together the idea of adding in some new features for the Slash 2wd, and Slash 4x4/Mod class.

Basically we just need a simple set ups that we can drag on and off, but our main goal is to upset the cars handling enough to break up the field, and increase the driver's engagement, rather than it being just another mindless section.

this is what we've come up with, and I'd like some opinions, both good and bad.
    each panel is 4x4. the strips are screwed on, and are 1 inch tall, and 12-18 inches long. We plan on running it in this set up as shown, coming out of a 180 corner. It would be possible that we would space out the panels slightly.

please please please! feel free to suggest things that you think might work! the requirements are that it be easily transported in a short bed pick up, easily moved by a single person. and affordable.

Last edited by Tragic Image; 09-23-2010 at 08:51 PM.

RC Qualifier
    is that supposed to be a ramp or an obsticale course?

RC Competitor
    obstacles

thanks for the question.

Also, i'd like to add that we will be running in the direction that the camera is facing, from near to far.

so, bumps spaced far apart, then the angles, then the bumps spaced closer together.

RC Qualifier
    So your going to make your track into dirtbike whoopde-doos?
    Pede vxl, Rusty vxl, Merv vxl, Slash 4x4

RC Racer
    I like them. I would space them out 3 sets of two.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade906
    So your going to make your track into dirtbike whoopde-doos?

not exactly.

just trying to throw trucks "off course" a little.... slightly more interesting.... spice it up a notch.

Maybe make it so that you can't just slingshot out of the corner and into the next one without as much ease as there is now.

Thanks for giving me an opportunity to clarify what we are trying to achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by CR BOOM
    I like them. I would space them out 3 sets of two.

that was our initial intent, but wasn't very effective.

the trucks weren't actually impeded.... they floated over it without a glitch
    Last edited by cooleocool; 09-25-2010 at 03:27 PM. Reason: merge

RC Racer
    Well a plus on good suspention set-ups... have you tried them all together yet?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by CR BOOM
    Well a plus on good suspention set-ups... have you tried them all together yet?

Yep, in my front yard.... right before I took that picture I was out there trying different angles, speeds, approaches, and turning mid-board to see if it would work in the apex of a turn.

at high speed, the truck will launch over all of it.

at low speed, and the truck's suspension will articulate at an appropriate rate to compensate, but attempting minor changes in direction creates issues.

at a medium/low speed the truck is upset a sufficient amount, causing it to lose and gain traction, and direction changes can create a bigger problem.

Well isn't that going to a little hard on the suspension? But it would make it a little more challenfing to run the course.

RC Enthusiast
    at a medium/low speed the truck is upset a sufficient amount, causing it to lose and gain traction, and direction changes can create a bigger problem.

If you set them up going into a corner or out of a corner it would be a good test on drivers brake and throttle control.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob
    Well isn't that going to a little hard on the suspension? But it would make it a little more challenfing to run the course.
    That is/was a concern for us.

The last thing I want is to ruin any driver's race day by causing a failure. It would be the opposite of what we are trying to accomplish. This is meant to increase our fun.

The intention right now is to put this at one of the slowest spots of the track, where high impacts will be minimized. I'm most worried about rear hub carriers, and the arms, but don't foresee big problems.

To give an estimate on speeds, the speed is about the same as a brisk walk.

Quote Originally Posted by tunacansam

If you set them up going into a corner or out of a corner it would be a good test on drivers brake and throttle control.
    Out of a corner and 85% of the way to the next corner is about how this is gonna be set up.

Going into a corner was thought about, but our testing showed A LOT of lateral movement in the front arms when the suspension was already compressed from being on the brakes with nothing left to soak up the bumps, and we scratched the idea based on not wanting to ruin trucks.

Knowing the drivers at our track, we are all late and hard on the brakes and we see catastrophe if we try these entering a corner.......

Mid corner would be interesting, but then organizing the boards would be like putting a square peg in a round hole.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 09-25-2010 at 03:27 PM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    a bunch of these corner markers randomly thrown on a board then screwed in would be both smoother and less predictable.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Neon-Orange-12

I think these are small ones. They come in various sizes.
    -- > Republic Racing < --

RC Racer
    same general idea, but instead of 1" blocks, use some corrugated metal (roofing tin) either flat on the board OR make some "hills" using boards placed vertically with the metal over them.
    Cause I'm alive.....Live Wire

Quote Originally Posted by Tragic Image
    That is/was a concern for us.

The last thing I want is to ruin any driver's race day by causing a failure. It would be the opposite of what we are trying to accomplish. This is meant to increase our fun.

The intention right now is to put this at one of the slowest spots of the track, where high impacts will be minimized. I'm most worried about rear hub carriers, and the arms, but don't foresee big problems.

To give an estimate on speeds, the speed is about the same as a brisk walk.
    That was my thought. Breaking something wouldn't be fun at all. But if it was just tall enough that it makes your truck want to go in a different direction and you have to fight it to control it might be way to test driver skill. Or it could be a lot of fun.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by livewire
    same general idea, but instead of 1" blocks, use some corrugated metal (roofing tin) either flat on the board OR make some "hills" using boards placed vertically with the metal over them.
    We have DEFINETLY looked at that! But I did one test panel using the molding strips, they were very uniform, and the least upsetting o the truck.

However! I have a super secret idea to use it in a different application.

Just need to grow the budget a bit. Tin roof is about $14 bucks for a 2 1/2 wide 6 foot long section. Plus I'd need some supports...... It'll total about 75 bucks on materials for the idea I have for it.