RC Qualifier

Who Uses A Center Diff?

Im thinking about getting a center diff and im wanting to know who has ran their truck on a track without it and then again with the center diff. Was there an improvement and if so was it a small or huge improvement?
    Pede vxl, Rusty vxl, Merv vxl, Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    I have. It makes a big difference in tight corners and accelerating out of them, which can be tuned via different diff oil weights.
    Turbo in the front, groceries in the back.

RC Racer
    I run one and I would say its a good improvement. not sure if its necessary, but I like it. i just need to play with the setup between all the diffs. all stock did very well, but I have been messing around to improve even more.

One negative I noticed though is that the truck seems quite a bit slower compared to running the slipper; or its just because i run my erevo more

RC Qualifier
    so the center diff is slower?

and how do you know what oil weight to use?

RC Qualifier
    No, the center diff is not slower. It uses the same tooth-count spurs as the slipper.

RC Qualifier
    ok thats good to know. and again how do you know what oil to use in the diff? is it just trial and error or is there a good starting point? (for the hot state of FL lol)

RC Qualifier
    I actually ran my slipper once when I broke my second plastic center diff and wasn't willing to buy another one when I already ordered 2 FLM aluminum centers. Well, me experience with the slipper was awful on a race track and actually by the end of a twenty minute main the truck pulled hard to the exact opposite of which side I was turning. I had to go really slow just to finish third that night.
    And to answer your question: Racers use center diffs.
    JESUS says: "Fix it B4 it Breaks!"

RC Champion

quick question

Quote Originally Posted by kingdomracer
    I actually ran my slipper once when I broke my second plastic center diff and wasn't willing to buy another one when I already ordered 2 FLM aluminum centers. Well, me experience with the slipper was awful on a race track and actually by the end of a twenty minute main the truck pulled hard to the exact opposite of which side I was turning. I had to go really slow just to finish third that night.
    And to answer your question: Racers use center diffs.
    Do the FLM center diffs hold up to the power of the bigger motors like the Castle 2200 and 2650's?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by turbowop
    No, the center diff is not slower. It uses the same tooth-count spurs as the slipper.
    The centre diff is slower - we have three slash 4x4s and acceleration in the one with centre diff is much slower off the mark because it sends the power to the wheels which are slipping - usually the front when taking off. This makes it more stable in acceleration (why it is good for racing on tracks with reasonable grip - doesn't fishtail like it does without the CD) but bleeds a lot of power into the spinning front wheels rather than the back wheels which grip better in acceleration. Centre diff is not so good for racing on standard RTR tyres as they have less grip and hence it is really slow off the mark. Better with platinum/ultimate S1 softer compound which have more grip but it rips through them (the front tyres) in no time.

Using the slipper vs centre diff is like comparing a late 80s 1200HP formula 1 car with a much less powerful (800HP) but better handling modern F1 car - you fly by the seat of your pants with a car unstable but much quicker with the slipper but can ace the apex of the corners and achieve a perfect racing line more easily with the centre diff. If you are a really great driver you will be potentially faster with the slipper, if you are a typical to good driver you will be better with the CD. You can blur the margins between them a bit with really thick centre diff oil to improve takeoff speed while still getting some stability improvement but the slipper action is somewhat useful in protecting the driveline components from the sudden change of speed/stresses when you land from a jump.

I only use the CD for racing - it just makes the car so much less aggressive for bashing.

RC Qualifier
    When I say it's not slower, I'm talking top speed, not acceleration from a dig on a loose surface. If the gearing is the same, center diff/slipper clutch speeds are exactly the same. If you wanna split hairs on why the center diff is slower off the line, better in the corners, or make interesting analogies involving F1 technology, be my guest. I was just clearing up a simple question with a simple answer.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by turbowop
    When I say it's not slower, I'm talking top speed, not acceleration from a dig on a loose surface. If the gearing is the same, center diff/slipper clutch speeds are exactly the same. If you wanna split hairs on why the center diff is slower off the line, better in the corners, or make interesting analogies involving F1 technology, be my guest. I was just clearing up a simple question with a simple answer.

+1

my laptimes are much better with a centerdiff , opposite to my laptimes with the slipper.

yes my truck accelerate a bit slower, opposite to my acceleration with slipper.
    slash 4x4 VXL, Novak HV4.5, MMP

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MVB
    +1

my laptimes are much better with a centerdiff , opposite to my laptimes with the slipper.

yes my truck accelerate a bit slower, opposite to my acceleration with slipper.
    yep,mine too,,,i can't even drive our track without it,,it's like ice w/a slipper

RC Qualifier
    I put mine in before ever running the truck, so I don't know what the slipper is like.
    Censorship is wrong

RC Racer
    There is little question lap times are better with the diff than the slipper which is why I race with a diff and bash with a slipper. Holding a great racing line and having more stability under acceleration/braking more than make up for the modest loss of acceleration and braking performance with the diff. I suppose it depends how you define faster - faster in a straight line or faster around a track.

I don't use the diff when I'm running 3s as I've heard it can't take the extra power. My lap-times when running slipper/3s (practice - can only race with 2s) are usually around the same as the diff with 2s but my best lap-time was with the slipper and 3s as I can take the corners slow with 3s and easily make up the difference with the over double acceleration on 3s vs 2s.

RC Enthusiast
    it does have a slight drag cause of the thick oil in it but once warmed up it's not really noticable and the traction control is amazing so it's a no brainer if your on a track but i put the slipper back in for any other usage

RC Racer
    The short answer:

Great on dirt and offroad - not for bashing and high speed running.
    Imperial Racing
    Slash 2wd/ 2wd Mod / 4x4

RC Racer
    Love it since I started using the CD. No more rear end kick outs in turns!!

I am currently using the FLM alum diff and 75K oil(mixed 50K and 100K. I am waiting for my FLM motor mount cause i am tired of burning up bearings. A buddy here with the center diff and motor mount kit has a great set up and only cleans the rear end every 3-4 days of running instead of each session.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher1
    it does have a slight drag cause of the thick oil in it but once warmed up it's not really noticable and the traction control is amazing so it's a no brainer if your on a track but i put the slipper back in for any other usage
    What? There is no drag created by the center diff. That's like saying the front and rear diffs slow the truck down until the fluid in them warms up. It doesn't work like that.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones8352
    Do the FLM center diffs hold up to the power of the bigger motors like the Castle 2200 and 2650's?
    Can't comment on that cuz I don't use either motor for racing. My setup is with a Neu 1409/1Y. But it is a good question that deserves an answer.
    JESUS says: "Fix it B4 it Breaks!"

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdomracer
    Can't comment on that cuz I don't use either motor for racing. My setup is with a Neu 1409/1Y. But it is a good question that deserves an answer.
    Yes, I run the FLM Alum diff. and the castle 2650... The Flm does very well .
    Running 100k oil with 1/8 crime fighters,
    I'am more than happy, I bought the alum. motor mount and diff. kit...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigV
    I put mine in before ever running the truck, so I don't know what the slipper is like.
    Same here.
    PLEASE do not PM me and immediately go offline :p

RC Competitor
    Yea same here... Out of the box and in with the diff. I have heard of the Bearing wearing out on the center diff though...any one have this problem yet?
    "Celebrate we will for life is short but sweet"

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxxRus08
    Yea same here... Out of the box and in with the diff. I have heard of the Bearing wearing out on the center diff though...any one have this problem yet?
    It's the same bearing that the slipper rides on if you use that instead. It's a very well documented issue on lots of forums. Common issue, easily fixed with a Kingheadz bearing housing with the bigger bearing.

RC Qualifier
    My local track is tight and dusty. With the slipper I can't control the turn at the end of the straight. With it I have no problems.
    -- > Republic Racing < --