Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Summit F. A. Q.

NORTHERN ADVENTURE' S SPEED GUIDE : SUMMIT DIFFERENTIAL SHIMMING

N / A ' s Differential Shimming guide part #1

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Adventurer View Post
    I`d like to start by saying this is only how I shim my diffs, many other people have different methods. To each their own. As shimming is kind of an art all by itself, that's why there aren't really any definitive guides for shimming, its different for each truck.

These are the shims and o-rings I use.

I like how these 3racing packs have multiple thicknesses of shims in the same package.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

N A differential shimming part 2

With that being said, here is where I start, a pic-by-pic disassembly guide, perform the same in reverse for assembly:

MAN, Use Common Sense.

Diff shimming part 3

That concludes the disassembly, please perform the same in reverse for assembly procedure. See how dirty the oil was?

These parts have been rag wiped to remove most grease prior to proper cleaning.

One of the second cups outputs needed a little coaxing to come out lol

Both diffs rag wiped prior to proper cleaning.

Here Im taking note of where shims were.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

N / A ' s Differential Shimming guide part 4

Then collect all the metal bits in a jar for a real cleaning with brake cleaner.

Everything fully cleaned.

Ready to dry assemble to test for shimming.

Continue assembly.

Here I am wiggling the output to test for how much shim room will be needed.

Here I have placed shims on the output to be reinserted and tested again. What you are looking for is to be as tight as possible without binding.

Don't forget to use all rubbers when dry fitting.

There is now no slop with the shims.

Then do the same testing/shimming/dry fitting with the other output.

MAN, Use Common Sense.

N/A's Differential Shimming guide part 5

This diff cup has now been properlly dry shimmed and hand turn tested.

Now on to shimming the cup into the housing.

You can test fit everything to see if shimming is necessary.

I ended up shimming one side between the ring gear and bearing. This brings the ring and pinion closer. Once agian, dont shim to tight.

Shimming this bearing on the other side can also be done if needed, Was not necessary for me.

Finish dry assembly.

Hand turn test to check for tightness/binding.

Here I needed more shims to bring the pinion and ring gear closer, You may need to dry assemble and disassemble many times in order to find the perfect combination.

CAUTION:
    Once fully dry assembled, you must attach the axles to ensure they can still be attached. It is possible to over shim, when you over shim a diff, the holes for the screw pins on the output can no longer be accessed because they have been shimmed too far into the diff itself.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

N/A's Differential Shimming guide part 6

It's been ALOT of work, You are ready to disassemble and reassemble with fluids.

I grease the o-rings on the outputs.

Insert it.

Fill the cup half way with your desired fluid, I use 120k in the summit, stock is 100k. Then insert the spider gears, top off the top with diff fluid again, then screw the ring gear on. Leave one screw out for last so excess fluid can pour out.

Assemble into the housing, and your done the diff.

Then I assemble the bulkheads with the diffs in them.

I then hot glue the inside of the bulkheads for added strength, keeping dirt and crap out and to eliminate slop in the bulkhead.

Its easily removable, just peels off.

This concludes my diff shimming and gluing thread.

Please remember this is not an exact science, more of an art form. This is only how I do it, everyone has their own methods.

I just wanted to share my method because I found it very hard as other do, to find guides on this.

I hope this has helped some of you.

For Dennis.
    All thanks and props go to Northern Adventurer

Original thread
    https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...Shimming-Guide
    Last edited by noir 522; 03-26-2015 at 06:42 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Racer
    Got a question since the MMP is not water proof esc would this new MMX be roughly about the same to run sensored setups? in the summit? with castle introducing there sensored *waterproof* line of esc's

ESC link: http://www.castlecreations.com/en/ma...sc-010-0155-00
    Traxxas 1/10 Summit, TRX4 Tactical
    -Marc Gill

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Schs2013 View Post
    Got a question since the MMP is not water proof esc would this new MMX be roughly about the same to run sensored setups? in the summit? with castle introducing there sensored *waterproof* line of esc's

ESC link: http://www.castlecreations.com/en/ma...sc-010-0155-00
    Hey, just having a read through and thought I'd mention that I just jumped on the sensored mmx 2200kv castle system still waiting for it to arrive, but I'm pretty sure this will be an absolute beast of a system for the summit, sensored! Castle!!!!

RC Racer
    Awesome to hear! i just got this myself last weekend paired with a T8 1900kv i had kicking should work awesome in the summit.
    Traxxas 1/10 Summit, TRX4 Tactical
    -Marc Gill

RC Enthusiast
    I have read this FAQ more than once or twice since becoming a Summit owner and one thing I would really like to request is a Maintenance How-to. Both initial/first maints and scheduled or periodic and when to do these.

I have not found a solid, thorough breakdown of the entire process. Being fairly new to the modern RC scene and after digging into my vehicle for the first major repair it made me think: I read about maints and see it suggested but never anything on what's what.
    Every crash/ broken story: This one time...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Praetorius View Post
    I have read this FAQ more than once or twice since becoming a Summit owner and one thing I would really like to request is a Maintenance How-to. Both initial/first maints and scheduled or periodic and when to do these.

I have not found a solid, thorough breakdown of the entire process. Being fairly new to the modern RC scene and after digging into my vehicle for the first major repair it made me think: I read about maints and see it suggested but never anything on what's what.
    I will be working on my Summit soon, as it needs it's very first mantince now. I'll let you know what you need to check up on!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12