Thread: Nitro summit?

RC Enthusiast

Nitro summit?

Is it possible with all of its features?
    Teton, rustler vxl, summit; what's next?

Of course it is.
    What is the benefit of installing a low-torgue, high-rpm engine in this class of vehicle?
    Please note that I wrote "benefit" and "point" specifically because there does not need to be a point.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

100% possible.

Along with what ksb51rl said, you also need to have heat shielding around the engine.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

And if using it trailing or crawling...earplugs. And a fan to cool the engine?

As I alluded to above, if one wants to do this just to do it, GREAT! However, I see an awful lot of time and effort being expended and little potential for improvement over the stock brushed system, let alone over the sensored brushed systems run by some members.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    To me that would really kill the whole appeal of this truck. I can trail and crawl quietly for about three hours on a full charge whilst in low range. Why would I want a noisy, smelly, nitro burner that runs about 15 minutes on a tank of fuel and ruin the joy of this fine vehicle. Cui bono?
    "For we walk by faith and not by sight" 2 Cor. 5-7

RC Racer
    A nitro summit would pretty much be a revo 3.3. They are very similar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes its, its been done by Traxxas . See Revo rocks I and II.

https://traxxas.com/pitpass/hopup/ne...ocks-Project-1

the draw back is that to get the torque you need to crawl slow with a nitro motor you would have to tunethe engine for more air and less fuel. Making your engine run hot. And since nitro engines get cooling from the passing air, your slow rock crawl would get hot quickly. By looking at the Traxxas videos it was more of a slow " rock jumper " needing blips of throttle to conquer obstacles. As compared to a slow and steady ""rock crawler".

But yes it is possible. Real cars with cooling systems and variable clutches do a much better job.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

Last edited by noir 522; 03-07-2017 at 10:21 AM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

Ugh, when is Dr. Frankenstyle gonna jump in with his revmit 3.3?
    if you fall, I'll catch you! - Your Floor

Quote Originally Posted by RCMad72 View Post
    Ugh, when is Dr. Frankenstyle gonna jump in with his revmit 3.3?
    Did I hear my name? Yep, I built my truck pretty much that direction..... Revo 3.3 chassis, engine and trans' ... full Summit front and rear ends with the remote t-locks, long wheelbase/long travel set-up .... then I modified the chassis to run T-Maxx 14/72 gears. It's far from being as capable as a stock Summit even, and it's still too quick to be a true "crawler", but it's LOTs of fun on the rocks or trails. I tackled the noise with a dual muffler set-up .... much quieter now. And I mounted the body pretty high and cut open the "toolbox" (F-250) so it doesn't get too hot either.
    I always liked nitro' RC's since I was a kid, and there's definitely an added level of fun when you see the smoke and hear the engine as you drive it. Again, it's no champion crawler (heck, my mini-Summit's a better "crawler"), but it was worth the time.
    It's currently on page 15 in the Revo section here. I just had it out a couple of weeks ago and taped a little SQ8 camera to the hood for a little ride-along video. I may upload it and pop it into the thread.

chop it up ... stitch it up ...It's ALIVE !!!