Thread: Dirt Rally

RC Enthusiast

Dirt Rally

Is it possible to convert this rally car to dirt rally with changing f suspension and various other parts? When I think rally, it involves dirt, and I think that it would be really cool to see this doing dirt drifts. Looking through the manual and other stuff, it does not say you can't, it just says it is optimized for asphalt. I can't imagine it would be too hard, considering it shares a lot of parts with the mini slash.

RC Champion
    It sure is possible, you might want a couple suspension changes and a different set of tires and you'll be good to go.

RC Champion
    Put a decent set of rally tires on it and remove the limiters from the shocks and it would be good for dirt.
    My mother
    Reba Collins 6/30/52 - 3/1/10 1:13pm

RC Qualifier
    I guess if you were to raise it up and use this body http://cgi.ebay.com/Traxxas-Slash-14...item563f857c6f
    MMP-NEU 1112 1.5D 4S MERBE
    BEAST MODE [ON] OFF

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cch1978
    I guess if you were to raise it up and use this body http://cgi.ebay.com/Traxxas-Slash-14...item563f857c6f
    That may be a bit big. It's for the 1/10 Slash.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by koolwhipman
    That may be a bit big. It's for the 1/10 Slash.
    You know what koolwhipman, I think you are right..... a tad bit to big .

sorry guys, thought I may have found a solution for the guys that will be jumping theres and running in the dirt.
    BEAST MODE [ON] OFF

RC Qualifier
    Get the MERV tires and wheels and remove the limiters from inside the shocks and it should be perfect for the dirt. That is what I am going to do to it when I get it.
    Drive it, Break it, Upgrade it

RC Competitor
    well. Wouldn't you just be converting iit back to a slash if you put different tires and removed the limiters in the suspension and changing the body? Just saying
    If its worth doing. Its worth over doing.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by thekillerkid
    well. Wouldn't you just be converting iit back to a slash if you put different tires and removed the limiters in the suspension and changing the body? Just saying
    That's exactly what he's getting at. Buying a rally vxl to drive it off road seems a little silly, shouldn't you just get a mini slash to begin with? I think traxxas should have sold the parts as a conversion kit for existing slashes and merv's IMO.
    T-maxx18tz,Rustler,T-maxx,Jato,E-revo,Merv,Slayer

RC Qualifier
    I never said anything about changing the body also with the right all terain tire you can still run on pavement.
    Drive it, Break it, Upgrade it

RC Enthusiast
    I was wondering why are people worried about its off road capabilities when it is based on the mini e revo? The chassis should be pretty tough. All you need is spring and tire change and it is dirt worthy. What people have to remember is that this is designed to be a rally car and not a monster truck. As with any rally car it will do fine on semi smooth dirt surfaces. Just raised it up a bit. I don't expect it to go places that my slash 4x4 can go. People make it sound like it needs to have monster truck capabilities which it is not designed to do.
    Last edited by Daholla77; 10-14-2010 at 01:53 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cch1978
    You know what koolwhipman, I think you are right..... a tad bit to big .

sorry guys, thought I may have found a solution for the guys that will be jumping theres and running in the dirt.
    I forgot to mention that I only run my cars on the street(speed runs)
    BEAST MODE [ON] OFF

Quote Originally Posted by Daholla77
    I was wondering why are people worried about its off road capabilities when it is based on the mini e revo? The chassis should be pretty tough. All you need is spring and tire change and it is dirt worthy. What people have to remember is that this is designed to be a rally car and not a monster truck. As with any rally car it will do fine on semi smooth dirt surfaces. Just raised it up a bit. I don't expect it to go places that my slash 4x4 can go. People make it sound like it needs to have monster truck capabilities which it is not designed to do.
    Agreed. I don't think people like to research much anymore. If you were to compare the Rally exploded views with that of the 1/16 Slash, they are pretty much identical with just a few minor differences; so what I can gather is that with a spring/shock change and different tires it is ready for the dirt.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G
    Agreed. I don't think people like to research much anymore. If you were to compare the Rally exploded views with that of the 1/16 Slash, they are pretty much identical with just a few minor differences; so what I can gather is that with a spring/shock change and different tires it is ready for the dirt.
    I'd love to prove that in our local forest
    There's miles and miles of 15"-30" wide mountain bike trails criss crossing the forest
    I drove my E-Maxx in that forest a few weeks ago

E-Maxx 3906 Forest Trail Run

Morten
    Morten SnoopMaxx
    3906 ROCKSTAR Makita
    c",)

Quote Originally Posted by SnoopMaxx
    I'd love to prove that in our local forest
    There's miles and miles of 15"-30" wide mountain bike trails criss crossing the forest
    I drove my E-Maxx in that forest a few weeks ago

E-Maxx 3906 Forest Trail Run

Morten
    I have a nitro Revo and am still trying to see in my mind the size difference between that and the 1/16 scale vehicles.
    And that looks like a great place to drive a truck! Wish I had that around here.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daholla77
    Well put!
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

RC Racer
    I have done the research and there is a significant amount of springs available for this model. The new Rally VXL released the stiffest springs yet which make sense for drifting and Gymkhana type fun. Since I have a Mini Slash I would need to change the springs to make the Rally car work well. The MERV springs are firmer than Slash so one could just get firm MERV springs.

Tires are also available. Any 10th scale Rally tire will work. Tamiya and HPI make a good selection of all terrain or dirt rally tires that would work well for this model. The dimensions of the model make it a short 10th scale and not a 16th scale.

I raced my Mini Slash on carpet so I purchased 10th scale touring car foams for a carpet track for my Slash. I chose firm Slash springs to handle the jumps we had. Firmer springs would have been desireble for a carpet track without jumps. I would expect if you want to run the Rally VXL on a dirt track you may want to soften the springs and remove the limiters to handle bumps better.