Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Dirt Rally

  1. #1
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    40

    Dirt Rally

    Is it possible to convert this rally car to dirt rally with changing f suspension and various other parts? When I think rally, it involves dirt, and I think that it would be really cool to see this doing dirt drifts. Looking through the manual and other stuff, it does not say you can't, it just says it is optimized for asphalt. I can't imagine it would be too hard, considering it shares a lot of parts with the mini slash.

  2. #2
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Aperture Laboratories
    Posts
    2,450
    It sure is possible, you might want a couple suspension changes and a different set of tires and you'll be good to go.

  3. #3
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    NOT HERE ANY LONGER
    Posts
    1,852
    Put a decent set of rally tires on it and remove the limiters from the shocks and it would be good for dirt.
    My mother
    Reba Collins 6/30/52 - 3/1/10 1:13pm

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Codova, TN
    Posts
    868
    I guess if you were to raise it up and use this body http://cgi.ebay.com/Traxxas-Slash-14...item563f857c6f
    MMP-NEU 1112 1.5D 4S MERBE
    BEAST MODE [ON] OFF

  5. #5
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    606
    Quote Originally Posted by cch1978
    I guess if you were to raise it up and use this body http://cgi.ebay.com/Traxxas-Slash-14...item563f857c6f
    That may be a bit big. It's for the 1/10 Slash.

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Codova, TN
    Posts
    868
    Quote Originally Posted by koolwhipman
    That may be a bit big. It's for the 1/10 Slash.
    You know what koolwhipman, I think you are right..... a tad bit to big .

    sorry guys, thought I may have found a solution for the guys that will be jumping theres and running in the dirt.
    MMP-NEU 1112 1.5D 4S MERBE
    BEAST MODE [ON] OFF

  7. #7
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Posts
    788
    Get the MERV tires and wheels and remove the limiters from inside the shocks and it should be perfect for the dirt. That is what I am going to do to it when I get it.
    Drive it, Break it, Upgrade it

  8. #8
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    58
    well. Wouldn't you just be converting iit back to a slash if you put different tires and removed the limiters in the suspension and changing the body? Just saying
    If its worth doing. Its worth over doing.

  9. #9
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by thekillerkid
    well. Wouldn't you just be converting iit back to a slash if you put different tires and removed the limiters in the suspension and changing the body? Just saying
    That's exactly what he's getting at. Buying a rally vxl to drive it off road seems a little silly, shouldn't you just get a mini slash to begin with? I think traxxas should have sold the parts as a conversion kit for existing slashes and merv's IMO.
    T-maxx18tz,Rustler,T-maxx,Jato,E-revo,Merv,Slayer

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Posts
    788
    I never said anything about changing the body also with the right all terain tire you can still run on pavement.
    Drive it, Break it, Upgrade it

  11. #11
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    44
    I was wondering why are people worried about its off road capabilities when it is based on the mini e revo? The chassis should be pretty tough. All you need is spring and tire change and it is dirt worthy. What people have to remember is that this is designed to be a rally car and not a monster truck. As with any rally car it will do fine on semi smooth dirt surfaces. Just raised it up a bit. I don't expect it to go places that my slash 4x4 can go. People make it sound like it needs to have monster truck capabilities which it is not designed to do.
    Last edited by Daholla77; 10-14-2010 at 01:53 PM.

  12. #12
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Codova, TN
    Posts
    868
    Quote Originally Posted by cch1978
    You know what koolwhipman, I think you are right..... a tad bit to big .

    sorry guys, thought I may have found a solution for the guys that will be jumping theres and running in the dirt.
    I forgot to mention that I only run my cars on the street(speed runs)
    MMP-NEU 1112 1.5D 4S MERBE
    BEAST MODE [ON] OFF

  13. #13
    Marshal Double G's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,496
    Quote Originally Posted by Daholla77
    I was wondering why are people worried about its off road capabilities when it is based on the mini e revo? The chassis should be pretty tough. All you need is spring and tire change and it is dirt worthy. What people have to remember is that this is designed to be a rally car and not a monster truck. As with any rally car it will do fine on semi smooth dirt surfaces. Just raised it up a bit. I don't expect it to go places that my slash 4x4 can go. People make it sound like it needs to have monster truck capabilities which it is not designed to do.
    Agreed. I don't think people like to research much anymore. If you were to compare the Rally exploded views with that of the 1/16 Slash, they are pretty much identical with just a few minor differences; so what I can gather is that with a spring/shock change and different tires it is ready for the dirt.

  14. #14
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    DENMARK
    Posts
    1,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G
    Agreed. I don't think people like to research much anymore. If you were to compare the Rally exploded views with that of the 1/16 Slash, they are pretty much identical with just a few minor differences; so what I can gather is that with a spring/shock change and different tires it is ready for the dirt.
    I'd love to prove that in our local forest
    There's miles and miles of 15"-30" wide mountain bike trails criss crossing the forest
    I drove my E-Maxx in that forest a few weeks ago

    E-Maxx 3906 Forest Trail Run

    Morten
    Morten SnoopMaxx
    3906 ROCKSTAR Makita
    c",)

  15. #15
    Marshal Double G's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,496
    Quote Originally Posted by SnoopMaxx
    I'd love to prove that in our local forest
    There's miles and miles of 15"-30" wide mountain bike trails criss crossing the forest
    I drove my E-Maxx in that forest a few weeks ago

    E-Maxx 3906 Forest Trail Run

    Morten
    I have a nitro Revo and am still trying to see in my mind the size difference between that and the 1/16 scale vehicles.
    And that looks like a great place to drive a truck! Wish I had that around here.

  16. #16
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Daholla77
    I was wondering why are people worried about its off road capabilities when it is based on the mini e revo? The chassis should be pretty tough. All you need is spring and tire change and it is dirt worthy. What people have to remember is that this is designed to be a rally car and not a monster truck. As with any rally car it will do fine on semi smooth dirt surfaces. Just raised it up a bit. I don't expect it to go places that my slash 4x4 can go. People make it sound like it needs to have monster truck capabilities which it is not designed to do.
    Well put!
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

  17. #17
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    175
    I have done the research and there is a significant amount of springs available for this model. The new Rally VXL released the stiffest springs yet which make sense for drifting and Gymkhana type fun. Since I have a Mini Slash I would need to change the springs to make the Rally car work well. The MERV springs are firmer than Slash so one could just get firm MERV springs.

    Tires are also available. Any 10th scale Rally tire will work. Tamiya and HPI make a good selection of all terrain or dirt rally tires that would work well for this model. The dimensions of the model make it a short 10th scale and not a 16th scale.

    I raced my Mini Slash on carpet so I purchased 10th scale touring car foams for a carpet track for my Slash. I chose firm Slash springs to handle the jumps we had. Firmer springs would have been desireble for a carpet track without jumps. I would expect if you want to run the Rally VXL on a dirt track you may want to soften the springs and remove the limiters to handle bumps better.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •