Thread: Best Charger

RC Racer

Best Charger

I didn't see a specific forum for battery chargers, so I hope this forum is okay. I'm getting ready to purchase a new charger and would appreciate any help in making this decission. I need a charger that has all the following attributes:
    - Charger/Discharge NiCd & NiMh (at least 14 cell capability)
    - Charge/Discharge/Balance all Lithium types (at least 7 cell capability)
    - Run on both AC and DC (don't need a seperate DC power supply)
    - Have multiple battery memory capability (10 different types is fine)

The two units that seem to meet these requirements are the:
    - Hyperion EOS 720i NET3 AD - (Seen advertized for $160)
    - Dynamite Passport Ultra (Seen advertized for $129)

I'd like to get the best price possible, but I'm not looking to cut corners just to get the cheapest charger. From what I've seen I would expect to pay between $130 and $180.

Have any of you had experience with these models or any other that might fit the bill? You input would be gretly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Gixxer01

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Given the AC/DC requirement, I think those are actually your only two options really- only other AC/DC chargers I can think of are limited to 50watts ( longer charge times with larger packs ) and/or dont have a multiple battery memory ( Thunder AC6 is best example ).

Both of the options you highlighted are quite nice- the passport beats the hyperion in the power output stakes by 10watts- nothing major but all the same. Cant see any better prices anywhere either, so I guess its down to the premium hyperion brand vs the not so premium but still really nice dynamite...
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

The Passport Ultra is "only" 6S capable. Its 100W power supply will charge a 6S or two 3S (etc) batteries in series at less than 4 amps once they reach 25.2 volts. I'd say that if you want to charge smaller LiPos @ 1C, it's fine, but for charging large 4S-6S packs, it wouldn't be my first choice. Still, I've used one and it's a great little charger and a solidly built unit, if a little louder than my "modular" setup.

As AoD pointed out, the Hyperion falls a little short on the AC side, but is a 150W DC charger (maximum and very possibly dependent on having a greater than 13.4V psu.) The Passport has a maximum 18V DC input, so even taking into account 100% efficiency, at an 8-amp output that's 144 watts. Again, the difference is not major, esp. if you do most of your charging indoors.

I'm waiting for the recommendations to get 2 (or 3) cheaper chargers instead. They're coming.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Im an advocate of multiple cheap chargers vs one big powerful charger really- given my love of the AC6 its a hard charger to beat for $55- 50watt output is a bit of a draw back but the cost of a decent 2 channel DC charger is... alot, plus a decent/ suitable PSU to power it. Only need a 126watts to do a 6s 5000mah lipo in one hour-ish, so even a pair of cheapish 150watt chargers and smaller PSUs will be cheaper than some ungoddly hyperion thing kickin' out 500watts...

On that note, check out the iCharger brand that progressive r/c sells. Heck, actually, just a single iCharger 1010b and 300-400watt PSU would be awesome if you made a series harness for a pair of 4s or 5s lipos- they even have balancer boards for upto 5s + 5s in series or parallel.

I think my old Bantam Bc6 will live forever, never gonna need to upgrade myself
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 10-12-2010 at 05:57 PM.

See? I'm always right.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    First, thanks for the input, you have some valuable points.

2 chargers is what I'd really like, cause I'm never charging just one pack and I hate to have over $300 invested in chargers. Right now I'm using 2 DuraTrax Piranha's, but the're only good for NiCd and NiMh and now I'm getting into LiPo's.

There is one other Hyperion, the EOS 0615i DU03, which is a dual pack charger, but it sells for $240 and I'd need to buy a DC power supply cause it only runs on DC and I do most of my charging in-house.

I've heard both good an bad things about the Thunder AC6, but that's probably normal. I think the output capacity was the only down side, so maybe it's the unit I should be looking at.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Depends what size lipos you charge really- 2s lipos will charge in 1 hour with the AC6, 3s lipos a little longer at about 70-80 minutes, 4s lipos closer to 2 hours ish. I think its the people who expect 15 minute charge times so they can run continuously that are disappointed by cheaper 50watt chargers, but if you're like me and never in that much of a hurry, I dont see a real problem ( hobbypartz will happily warranty a faulty charger as I've seen happen a couple times due to a bad solder joint between the built in PSU and the charge circuitry ).

RC Racer
    I'm like you on the time to charge, I'm in no hurry. I'm starting to lean towards getting 2 AC6's. Thanks again for your input.

RC Racer
    Well, I finally made a choice on a charger. I went with the Hyperion EOS 0720i NET3 - AD and also bought a SPS-2040G 45A Power Supply from MaxAmps. I really like the ability to connect to my PC. it sure makes programming the charger a lot easier.

Hyperion charger:
    http://www.empirerc.com/hyperion-eos...de-p-5412.html

SPS-2040G Power Supply:
    http://www.maxamps.com/Power-Supply-45A.htm

RC Racer
    I have a ******* charger....charges 4 batteries of any make/model/design...for under $100
    http://s405.photobucket.com/albums/pp138/TANKS250/

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Indeed it does, but its also DC only- needs a separate powersupply.

I think gixxer will be happy with his choice- great charger & one heck of a powersupply, wont need to upgrade for a few decades...

RC poster
    Ive been using the dynamite ultra for the last 8 months with zero issues
    very tuff easy to use and works well
    the only complaint I could possibly comeup with is that the fan is always on so its a little noisy...

RC Racer
    I already addressed charging multiple packs with one charger by using special charging rigs that allow you to put your packs in series for both charging and balancing. And the charger will handle up to 7 LiPo cells and 16 NiMh or NiCd cells in series.

The main reasons I went with the Hyperion is the choice of either AC or DC input, plus it has PC connectivity via the USB port. You can record the charge/discharge cycles of all your battery packs and the program can help determine when a pack is going south. Plus, it sure is easier inputting all the battery info with a keyboard rather than playing with the front panel of most chargers.

Another nice option is that the charger's firmware is updateable, via the PC, so when fixes or new options become available you can just do the upgrade rather than buying a new charger with the same functions.

RC Champion
    I <3 my Hyperion, even tho its old

RC Qualifier
    I just picked up a new hyperion duo 3. Love this thing, Chargers 2 at the same time with lots of power. I use this power supply.
    http://radioproshop.com/pyramid-ps/ps36kx.htm
    http://rcdumbthumbs.com/hyperioneos0...dbalancer.aspx
    Wouldn't you like to know...

RC Racer
    Man that's a great price on the Model 615 and a nice looking power supply. It look real similar to the SPS 1040G I'm using. I almost bought the 615, but at the time I didn't plan on using a DC power supply, so I went with the 720i.

Either way I really like the Hyperion line of chargers!

RC Racer
    Just wanted to mention that I got my charging rigs from Bob (Hughes500Bob). They are top notch and function perfectly!