RC poster

upgrading esc only on 4x4 stampede

okay so I can find many ESC motor combos. but what I'm wondering if I can just but an ESC to go with my Velineon motor for my stampede 4x4. I stopped playing with them for a few years and now getting back into the RC cars. I fixed one of my RC cars with transmissions issues but a few years ago. A puppy for whatever reason ate wires off my ESC, I guess metal tastes good I fixed re soldier and what not but there's a lot of heat build-up now with them and my 2S 5000mah doesn't last long at all in them compared to the 2wd stampede I have had both ESC motor fans on but 4wd just lasts about 4-6 minutes on one 2s lipo. but instead of buying another Traxxas one I wasn't sure if there are cheaper ones yet better ones out there. I have fried one of them with a Traxxas 3S lipo battery and vxl ESC since then I've never run a 3S in one since I went up in smoke but they are rated to 3s so doesn't make sense either. but it would also be nice to know I can use my 3s lipo battery also in the new one. can I just buy an ESC and no motor or would I have to buy both? I feel like its a dumb question but I have no idea if I can or what modifications need to be done. or is it just better-doing motor and ESC?
    Last edited by Bow bow; 10-13-2019 at 11:10 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Get a hobbywing max10sct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Overpowerxmaxx View Post
    Get a hobbywing max10sct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The one he suggested, or many other ESC will work with your Velineon motor .

The Max10sct is considerably more than needed for a Stampede 4x4. You could use the Quicrun 10BL120 it is the equivalent to the stock Velineon esc but is programmable.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0765Q2SVS...v_ov_lig_dp_it

RC poster
    I appreciate the reply’s. Now is the honbywing direct plug and play or would I need to soldier the connectors on it? I’d so what connectors are they?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bow bow View Post
    I appreciate the reply’s. Now is the honbywing direct plug and play or would I need to soldier the connectors on it? I’d so what connectors are they?
    It comes with bare wire, so you solder the connector of your choice. Makes sure the motor bullet connectors are the same size as well

Somehow builds are never done....

RC poster
    I’ll see if I can find the connectors that the velineon motor has. Then look around for the hobbywing max10sct. Can only find motor and wax combo but I’ll look a little more later since I’m about to head to work.

Most 1/10th scale esc and motors use 4mm banana/bullet connectors but Velineon uses 3.5mm.
    Last edited by zedorda; 10-14-2019 at 03:18 PM.

I’ll see if I can find the connectors that the velineon motor has. Then look around for the hobbywing max10sct. Can only find motor and wax combo but I’ll look a little more later since I’m about to head to work.
    Just the esc for $85 on amain:
    https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbywi...102601/p507477

I run one in my stampede 4x4 vxl on 3S with a 3665 3100kv motor. It does ok.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC poster
    Would I need to programmer or anything for it too for that one?

The program cards for Hobbywing esc are optional. They can also be set manually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWq7pgAa6Cg

RC poster
    Alright thank you zedorda! I may go with the Max10 SCT ESC Combo with 3660SL 3200kV Sensorless Motor since it’s not that much more then the esc itself. I know my vxl motor gets pretty hot too so wouldn’t be a horrible idea unless this would get hot? Or would this motor not be good to use? I’m not exactly sure what KV means either
    Last edited by Bow bow; 10-14-2019 at 07:57 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Alright thank you zedorda! I may go with the Max10 SCT ESC Combo with 3660SL 3200kV Sensorless Motor since it’s not that much more then the esc itself. I know my vxl motor gets pretty hot too so wouldn’t be a horrible idea unless this would get hot? Or would this motor not be good to use? I’m not exactly sure what KV means either
    Kv is rpm’s per volt. This debate has been had many times. At the end of the day, and larger motor has to do less work to achieve the same goal. Kv selection really relates to what batteries you’re using. I personally run a 3660 can 2600kv on 3S and 4S. Runs super cool on 3S and is plenty fast geared 13/50. 4S is kind of insane to try and control. Tons of fun to try though.

RC poster
    I only run 2S since when I have ran 3s in the vxl setup the esc went up in smoke and never done 3s since so.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I only run 2S since when I have ran 3s in the vxl setup the esc went up in smoke and never done 3s since so.
    I wouldn’t let your past dictate your choices. The vxl esc is not good. The hobbywing will treat you with more hours of fun for sure, even on 3S plus.

RC poster
    Your right! that’s why I’m wanting something better for a little more money if that’s what I’ll have to pay. . I’ll go ahead and buy the esc tonight and 4mm bullet connectors for the vxl motor

RC poster
    Thank you all for the help I appreciate it I just ordered it!

RC poster
    Finally got the esc took a while to get it but everything is great soldiered the connectors programmed it. I broke an A-arm with the new esc, ran it into a tree while my dog was chasing it. but after running a few 2s 6400MAH batterys through it it’s a blast with it doesn’t arc like it did and got it cheaper then I could find the Traxxas esc gonna run the 3s in it soon and play around in the snow since were meant to get about 5 ish inches of snow on Wednesday so glad is alive and running, Thank you for the recommendation in this thread. I appreciate it!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Finally got the esc took a while to get it but everything is great soldiered the connectors programmed it. I broke an A-arm with the new esc, ran it into a tree while my dog was chasing it. but after running a few 2s 6400MAH batterys through it it’s a blast with it doesn’t arc like it did and got it cheaper then I could find the Traxxas esc gonna run the 3s in it soon and play around in the snow since were meant to get about 5 ish inches of snow on Wednesday so glad is alive and running, Thank you for the recommendation in this thread. I appreciate it!
    Well done. Enjoy

RC poster
    Hi everyone,
    Sorry to jump into this conversation,

If you could buy a VXL-3s for the sale price as the hobbywing, which one would you get?

Cheers

Personally I don't replace stock with stock. I take the opportunity of breakage to upgrade. And imo the Traxxas esc work ok but don't have the flexibility/options I like. I have not tried a Hobbywing esc yet but I will soon.

RC Qualifier
    I had overlooked the Hobbywing Max10 SCT ESC previously as I was mainly looking for a sensored ESC, but man, that thing looks good for the money.

Seems to really outshine the Sidewinder 4... 4S Vs 3S (though only on low KV), but most notably for me an adjustable voltage BEC, which is nice as a lot of servos these days take higher voltages. 3A BEC on the HW vs 2A on the SW4 too.

Still the SW4 coming in a combo with the 1415 2400KV motor is a really good deal. We’re spoilt for choice.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    Personally I don't replace stock with stock. I take the opportunity of breakage to upgrade. And imo the Traxxas esc work ok but don't have the flexibility/options I like. I have not tried a Hobbywing esc yet but I will soon.
    So is there anything wrong with the VXL-3s? Also what are the benefits of aftermarket ones over this one.

RC Qualifier
    More current carrying capability, PROGRAMABILITY, adjustable voltage BEC (and more powerful?), standard size motor bullet connectors (don’t try find the Traxxas 3.5mm compatible ones, if you’re going to resolder, do the motor ones and make them a standard 4mm).

Most hobby shops will solder for you for a small fee when you purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Noobie101 View Post
    So is there anything wrong with the VXL-3s? Also what are the benefits of aftermarket ones over this one.
    boosta said it all really. Nothing wrong with the VXL-3s just limited.

The max10sct takes more abuse without overheating and as noted is more adjustable. I used to run the vxl-3s in my stampede, but changed to the castle sct sv3 then to the max10 sct. Now I'm thinking of running a lower kv motor than the 3665/3100kv I have as it still thermals on me when pushing it hard. Or my batteries died... Haven't sorted out which yet and likely won't until spring as the cooler temps of winter will mask an overheating issue somewhat if your right on the edge when it's 75F outside.
    Last edited by olds97_lss; 12-11-2019 at 04:19 PM.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Enthusiast
    Is the max 10 sct that good. Trying to choose HW or mamba x.