RC poster

New Stampede 4x4 vs Brushless E-Maxx

After deciding to buy another rc soon and now that Traxxas is releasing more models Im wondering how the new pede 4x4 will match up to the e maxx. They look similar but of course the e maxx has all the goodies on it but is it really worth $200 more? Which looks like the better truck for the money?

RC Qualifier
    The Stampede 4x4 is no match for the E-Maxx Brushless but it could be better than the Brushed edition becase you don't have to do all that maitence
    My Vote: Stampede 4x4 over the EMaxx brushed edition
    EMBE over Stampede 4x4 any day
    "Duct tape and superglue are my spareparts"

RC Qualifier
    I agree with slashbasher unless you took the pede 4x4 and put some better tires on with a mmp/novak 5.5 550 and some 300k weight diff fluid in the rear on 3 or 4s lipo
    Vxl Slash
    Xerun E-Maxx
    HT Aftershock

RC Champion
    erik, have you ever driven a e maxx brushless edition? if you had you wouldnt be comparing the two. I wont even consider owning one because its just too much for what i do.

a stampede 4x4 will be running on 7.4-11.1v when a EMBE will be running on 14.8-22.2v. just that and you know that the pede is nothing compared to the e maxx.

the EMBE i drove was running on 4s lipo and i was like =). i doubt i would ever feel that way about a smaller truck.
    Slash 4x4 MMP-HV 5.5
    Slash Sidewinder SC 3800kv

RC Racer
    You can "Power Up" the Stampede to a Velineon BL system before you even leave the LHS. The "Power Up" option would only cost another 90-ish and it would still be waterproof.

RC Qualifier
    the stampede 4x4 already is brushless
    Vxl Slash
    Xerun E-Maxx
    HT Aftershock

RC Racer
    OOPS!! My bad.

RC Racer
    After running some trucks with 2 batteries. I'm really looking foward to the new Stampede 4x4. The dual batteries has killer speed but 3s will do just fine for me. I guess I'll be selling some of my other trucks to get one of these. I just bought 1 VXL and 1 XL5 Stampede for my daughter and myself. Dang it, should have waited.
    It's adult proof, not child proof !

RC Champion
    you wont be able to run 3s with the pede 4x4. 3s with a slash 4x4 is pushing it. and adding bigger tires will make it only good for short speed runs.

if you wanna run 3s you need to get a bigger motor
    Slash 4x4 MMP-HV 5.5

Quote Originally Posted by FSTR4X4
    you wont be able to run 3s with the pede 4x4. 3s with a slash 4x4 is pushing it. and adding bigger tires will make it only good for short speed runs.

I disagree, if ti is geared right there is no reason you should not be able to run 3s in the 4x4 Stampede.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    i have to agree with dad, there should be no problems if you have it geared right and running it on 3s. and if you do have problems just get a MMM 2650kv motor and maby a MMP esc

but back the the stampede 4x4 and e-maxx, it madders what you are doing with it

on road: this ones hard so its a tie IMO

off road: we all know its the e-maxx. tho if you install a sweet esc/motor combo in the stampede 4x4 and get some good tire like 2.8 badlands this truck will do pretty good!

jumping: i would say stampede 4x4 just cuz its alot lighter but e-maxx is still good at jumping.

durability: i would say stampede 4x4 again cuz its way lighter so if it smashes into something it will be less mass hitting the object

sorry but i can't think of much more categorys if you know more let me know
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Qualifier
    Slash 4x4 will be good if you don't want a costy truck that is 4x4 and a good basher. EMBE must be a great truck. But to run it you have to use better charger, more lipo and usually part are bigger and more expensive. In the long run a Stampede 4x4 will be less expensive to keep running than an EMBE. But personally I like big truck because they can go pretty much anywhere.
    No pain! No Gain!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj
    I disagree, if ti is geared right there is no reason you should not be able to run 3s in the 4x4 Stampede.

Or 4s.

This little truck is growning on me. I think swapping out for slash 4x4 platinum parts and a novak hv 5.5-6.5 on 4s is the right ticket for this truck.
    Pay It Forward.

The E-Maxx feels like a true monster truck, the Stampede feels like... a toy... Don't get me wrong, I own more than two of each and I love both, but the Stampede feels weak in comparison to the E-Maxx...

He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

Quote Originally Posted by OCD RC
    Or 4s.

This little truck is growning on me. I think swapping out for slash 4x4 platinum parts and a novak hv 5.5-6.5 on 4s is the right ticket for this truck.
    The VXL ESC can only handle up to 3s lipos.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77
    the Stampede feels like... a toy...
    Sony Action Camera, My new toy

Hahaha, but, IMO it does...

He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

RC Qualifier
    I've owned a 2WD stampede VXL and several EMaxx, Summitt, ERevos. The Stampede was my favorite. That little sucker was just freakin crazy, like a bumble bee with a jet pack. Just a blast to bash with. My suggestion is to buy a truck, play with it and sell it. Then get the other truck you were thinking of getting. That's what everybody does. You'll love either truck you are considering.
    If you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with!!!

RC Qualifier
    Foxhound, your post is hilarious.... Every time it loops I laugh a little harder, make it stop....
    If you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77
    Hahaha, but, IMO it does...

I agree, the stampede does feel like a toy, as does the rustler when compared to my 1/8 scale vehicles. That said, I do love my rustler.
    More RC's than most of the people here.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    But... it IS a toy... so is the Emaxx... feeling toy like and taking a beating can go together like peanut butter and mousetraps...

RC Champion
    ok so the e-maxx wins for just awesomeness and off roading but ask your self what else is it better at than the stampede.
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj
    you cant gear it low enough though. if the chassis is anything like the slash 4x4 you will only be able to fit 12/54. and thats too high for a mt slash 4x4 on 2s. when i did that the motor got to over 150* in 10min on a cool day. yes the pede is a bit lighter so that will help but i dont see 3s with that motor and those tires. with a bigger motor 3s easy.

those new castle 4 pole motors look very promising. the 3800kv one should be able to handle 3s no problem in the pede.
    Slash 4x4 MMP-HV 5.5

Quote Originally Posted by FSTR4X4
    you cant gear it low enough though. if the chassis is anything like the slash 4x4 you will only be able to fit 12/54. and thats too high for a mt slash 4x4 on 2s. when i did that the motor got to over 150* in 10min on a cool day. This is irrelevant. There is not enough information here to do anything but jump to conclusions. yes the pede is a bit lighter so that will help but i dont see 3s with that motor and those tires. with a bigger motor 3s easy.

those new castle 4 pole motors look very promising. the 3800kv one should be able to handle 3s no problem in the pede.
    You really needed to test/report on whether there was a plateauing of the motor temps. Whether it runs 150°F or even 180°F doesn't really matter so long as the recommended temperature limit is not exceeded.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by FSTR4X4 View Post

I run a 5250 60c 3s in my 4x4 pede w/ the stock velineon system all day..It's a Blast and runs no problem.
    When Boy When, Are You Gonna Get Your Act Together

RC Qualifier
    Personnally i like the stampede 4x4 more than my e-maxx 3908, the stampede feel have more suspension travel than the e-maxx because of weigt (no swag on suspension compare to e-maxx) I run the 2 truck at the same place and the stampede 4x4 dosen't bottom out like the e-maxx and it much more stable on asphalt (dosen't roll as e-maxx). In term of durability you will see the difference (e-maxx 2X weight of stampede 4x4 but same diff).
    Stampede 4x4 1415 1Y 2400kv, 4S 5200 30C

RC poster
    It seems like anyone having an issue with an esc is using 3s lipos. Coincidence? Its hard to say but I think I would definately stay with 2s unless you really check temps alot and know what to expect.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by evldor View Post
    It seems like anyone having an issue with an esc is using 3s lipos. Coincidence? Its hard to say but I think I would definately stay with 2s unless you really check temps alot and know what to expect.
    I'm Have 2 velineon systems. One in my 2x4 pede and one in the 4x4 pede. The 4x4's LVC was kicking in almost right away on 2 or 3s lipos. It's in the shop for repair now. My 2x4 works like a champ on 3s Never gets too hot either.. I absolutely Love It!
    Still.. I only run the 3s on occasion. My normal bashers are 2s 30c venoms.

RC Racer
    I will have to say, I love the new P4PE.

I have owned: tmaxx, lst2, emaxx, brushless erevo, hyper TT (1/10 truggy), and a Groundpounder (scale MT). And of course my prized Mugen 6T and Gmade rock racer.

The pede does what it needs to do. It's simple, light and quick. My 2s geared with a 15t pinion is fast enough for neighborhood bashing (mid to upper 30's). I loved the maxx series, but the whole carrying 4 batteries around to bash is cumbersome. Plus, the whole weight thing.

If you are looking for size, get a Maxx, if you are looking to goof around quickly, the pede does it's job.

Trust me, I have had them all...
    MBX6T TEKIN RX8 2000 4s
    Gmade R1 3s
    4x4 Pede

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by beetroot72 View Post
    I run a 5250 60c 3s in my 4x4 pede w/ the stock velineon system all day..It's a Blast and runs no problem.
    Wait til you try running it in july or august on 3S. 2 of the 3 slash 4x4's i have will hit 220* in 10 minutes on 3S in the summer. The last one has a castle 2650, so it hits 140...LOL!!

Running in IL this time of year, i wouldnt think you would notice the heat much

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by skeppley View Post
    Wait til you try running it in july or august on 3S. 2 of the 3 slash 4x4's i have will hit 220* in 10 minutes on 3S in the summer. The last one has a castle 2650, so it hits 140...LOL!!

Running in IL this time of year, i wouldnt think you would notice the heat much
    True that Skep!..When the time comes..I'll step up!.. I just do not inderstand why the mmp's are not Water Proof!..I mean really? Don't they understand the need?
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 12-04-2011 at 12:17 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Grand National's Avatar
    I'd have to say I like my 4x4 Stampede vs. my 3908 E-Maxx. The Stampede is much easier to work on, easier to lug to wherever you are driving, and less of a hassle. Everytime I take the E-Maxx out, I strip a spur gear, break a servo, bust a shock tower, but so far so good with the Stampede, other than a drive shaft popping. Not saying I don't like my E-Maxx, it's just that the Stampede is a lot more easier to run and maintain, IMO.
    Last edited by Grand National; 12-31-2010 at 12:17 PM.
    Casper - 2001 Dodge Cummins (my baby)

RC Qualifier
    i would put my vote in for the 4x4 pede/slash over the emaxx bl , i have owned alot and work at a lhs as a repair person and ime personally think the 1/10 scall trucks are more durable and only becase of weight you can run the same speed , jump the same jump , and go just about the same places . the really big disavantage is the weight . and less not forget you always have to have two of everything

Wow, old tread alert!
    My Summit summits.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 4sdash View Post
    i would put my vote in for the 4x4 pede/slash over the emaxx bl , i have owned alot and work at a lhs as a repair person and ime personally think the 1/10 scall trucks are more durable and only becase of weight you can run the same speed , jump the same jump , and go just about the same places . the really big disavantage is the weight . and less not forget you always have to have two of everything
    I have to agree. The pede 4x4 takes a better beating than an Emaxx any day.
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

E-Maxx on 4S is an awesome truck. On 6S its crazy fast. I drove my friend's one quite a few times before it got stolen. I prefer my Pede over the E-Maxx. Most important reasons are lower costs and IMO the Pede is a the relatively stronger car.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Champion
    Stampede 4x4 used to be my favorite, until I got my EMBE up and running, now I don't even touch the P4de, don't take it the wrong way it's an awesome truck. Just get way more sense of power and speed with the EMBE, as people already said, the P4de takes more of a beating which is normal, much bigger scale of course stuff will break easier, more weight etc...
    R4lly GT8 | Backsl4sh | Sl4sh MT | Sl4sh | P4de

RC Enthusiast
    You also have to ask yourself, where will I be running this truck? Do have the open space the emaxx needs to really be fun. I used to have Tmaxx's and they need a good deal of space to have fun, where as the pede is a great back yard basher. And the Pede is just cheaper all the way around with one battery vs two.

RC Champion
    Thinking of selling my BL 3903 E-Maxx and getting a 4X4 Pede What do you guys think my Maxx is worth???
    It has only 40min of run time(testing 3s and 2s lipos) on a new MM system.17MM splined hexs,New rpm StableMaxx wheels,Proline Mashers.Traxxas wheelie bar with red aluminum wheels.Dual rate springs,50 weight oil in front and 60 in rear.Castle fan on motor new not in pics sorry.The body posts and body have a few scrapes from battery testing.

http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/...ter2/001-5.jpg
    http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/...ter2/003-4.jpg
    http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/...ghter2/011.jpg

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by snowfighter View Post
    Thinking of selling my BL 3903 E-Maxx and getting a 4X4 Pede What do you guys think my Maxx is worth???
    It has only 40min of run time(testing 3s and 2s lipos) on a new MM system.17MM splined hexs,New rpm StableMaxx wheels,Proline Mashers.Traxxas wheelie bar with red aluminum wheels.Dual rate springs,50 weight oil in front and 60 in rear.Castle fan on motor new not in pics sorry.The body posts and body have a few scrapes from battery testing.

http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/...ter2/001-5.jpg
    http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/...ter2/003-4.jpg
    http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/...ghter2/011.jpg
    I messaged you if your interested in a trade