RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar

Gearing for a 1518 on 4S and 6S

Just wondering what guys who've installed 1518 1Y motors in their ERBE's are gearing them. I just bought one of these motors and want to buy the right gearing setups. Im running stock tranny and shafts with badlands tires on Maximizer beadlocks.

Ill mostly be running 4S but with this motor I can see myself jumping up to run 6S from time to time.

Thanks for the help guys. If it matters, ESC is stock.

RC Enthusiast
    I put this motor in my Summit for a few runs with Badlands with an 18 tooth pinion and the temperatures on the motor was 130 degrees after a full run.

RC Champion
    20/54 or even 22/54 should not be a problem for it. Here is a link for a top speed calculator. Try to stay around 40mph for 4s, 50mph for 5s, and 60mph for 6s. With that motor you will have more efficiency with less heat and can gear higher to make up the top end. Great choice on the motor. Ordered my 3rd one today.

Terry

http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/_top_speed.html
    Last edited by Divey1130; 10-25-2010 at 04:10 PM.
    X3-RC8T/X2 ERBE/Losi SCTE/SC10 4x4/Baja 5SC/Rusty

RC Racer
    How does this motor compare to the stock CC motor?
    ERBE
    RUSTY VXL
    Summit 1518
    Merv & Mini Summit

RC Champion
    A little longer (help heat dissipation) and has a lower kv (1800 vs 2200 for stock).

As I understand it, more torque, less KV means higher gearing and lower heat with similar speeds. Ill start at 18/54 and go up from there... I have a 20t as well... I want it to run super cool all the time and I dont want to worry about heat... just run. That was my main motivation for getting this motor.

I am running a nitro converted to electirc but to give you an idea, I was running 15/38 on 5s (geared for about 52mph according to the chart). Temps were around 120 motor, 110 esc, lipo barely warm. Since I have installed the 1518 I have geared up to 17/36 (similar speed on the chart) and the motor is barely 90, esc the same and the lipo is not even warm. I have 18, 19 and 20t pinions on the way. Do not be afraid to gear up a bunch with the 1518.
    Kraken Baja
    Traxxas X-Maxx

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ajb1205
    I am running a nitro converted to electirc but to give you an idea, I was running 15/38 on 5s (geared for about 52mph according to the chart). Temps were around 120 motor, 110 esc, lipo barely warm. Since I have installed the 1518 I have geared up to 17/36 (similar speed on the chart) and the motor is barely 90, esc the same and the lipo is not even warm. I have 18, 19 and 20t pinions on the way. Do not be afraid to gear up a bunch with the 1518.
    that's amazing that it can make that big of a difference!!!!!! I think i'll have to jump on one of these since i just got paid

RC Racer
    Will this fit in with no mods?
    ERBE
    RUSTY VXL
    Summit 1518
    Merv & Mini Summit

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by cmaynexblack
    Will this fit in with no mods?
    You will have to trim the rear shock mount just a little bit and that's it. Remember, it's more controlable than the 2200 and you have to gear up to maintain your top end or you will think the motor is to slow. It's not all crazy torquey like the stock one. After running 2 of them now and 1 more on the way, I do sometimes miss the feeling of the 2200.

Terry

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer
    As I understand it, more torque, less KV means higher gearing and lower heat with similar speeds. Ill start at 18/54 and go up from there... I have a 20t as well... I want it to run super cool all the time and I dont want to worry about heat... just run. That was my main motivation for getting this motor.
    perfect reason for getting this 1518 motor
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

RC Qualifier
    I am running the 1518 too and have changed to mod1 gearing. I am running 16/40 gearing and the thing is an animal on 4S or 6S. Even on 6S the temps on the motor are nothing worth mentioning (about 110F) and the my HW ESC was a little bit warmer but again well bellow anything you could call warm at 120F. What was odd is this is the first time I felt my 3S packs get any heat in them at all. Normally they come out of the truck at ambient temp with the 1515 motor and 18/54 gearing but with the 1518 they were about 95F when I took them out. The ambient temps on the day were 68F. I am more than happy with those temps and am going to gear up to 17 tooth pinion soon and try that. I only run 6S on the road and the temps for 4S were similar as above running through short grass and loose dirt.
    BASH. BREAK. FIX. REPEAT. ALWAYS REPEAT.

RC poster
    What are you guys getting for runtimes? I had both the 2200 and 1800 in my truggy, and could not get over 15 mins on the track. It also got over 150 pretty easy. I'm looking to get the erbe for bashing, but I'd like good runtimes and low temps. What mah batteries are you using?the highest I have is 6000.

RC Champion
    @Trailser: A MT or truggy geared for track use (~40mph) typically requires around 300-400w (depending on drive style) average power with bursts in the 1500w+ range.

You didn't say if you were running 4s or 6s, so I'll lay out a couple scenarious:

If you are getting 15 minutes on 4s 6000mAh, that means you are pulling 355w average with bursts around 2000w, which is typical. To get more runtime, you'd have to either get higher capacity cells, or use higher voltage and gear down.

If you are getting 15 minutes on 6s 6000mAh, that means you are pulling ~500w average with over 3000w bursts. That's high for track use and I would look at gearing down for around 40mph tops. If that's not enough, I'd look into higher capacity packs, but judging by these numbers, it looks like you are probably running 4s.

Take a look at this calculator page: http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/_power.html

Enter your current numbers. At the bottom there are a couple of tables to help you get an idea of what you are looking at for runtime/power requirements. If you are getting 15 minutes on 4s, simply stepping up to 6s at the same 6000mAh capacity and geared for the same speed will get you a little over 20 minutes.
    Last edited by BrianG; 10-26-2010 at 03:08 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG-block
    I am running the 1518 too and have changed to mod1 gearing. I am running 16/40 gearing and the thing is an animal on 4S or 6S. Even on 6S the temps on the motor are nothing worth mentioning (about 110F) and the my HW ESC was a little bit warmer but again well bellow anything you could call warm at 120F. What was odd is this is the first time I felt my 3S packs get any heat in them at all. Normally they come out of the truck at ambient temp with the 1515 motor and 18/54 gearing but with the 1518 they were about 95F when I took them out. The ambient temps on the day were 68F. I am more than happy with those temps and am going to gear up to 17 tooth pinion soon and try that. I only run 6S on the road and the temps for 4S were similar as above running through short grass and loose dirt.
    Same here but 1520 on 6s 18/36 Gearing ATM..
    It is a total animal and even after 2-5ah 3s batteries in series the motor is barely warm to the touch. I am running in the street and on the grass 60% street and about 40% grass.
    But this motor also has almost twice the surface area than the 2200.
    havnt failed I just found 1000 ways that wont work

My motor shipped out today and my new MMM ESC showed up today in the mail. I have a few other parts on order for this truck so hopefully by the time the motor shows up everything will be installed and ready. Thanks for the direction on this guys. Ive got some larger pinions on the way also. Im going to start with a 18/40 on 6s and see how the temps are, ive got a 19 and 20t pinion also so thats where ill go next. Ive gone with mod 1 gears as there just no combos low enough with 32p

Just curious, but are the gears in a 2speed tranny less durable than the singe speed tranny... especially with this motor and do all castle motors come with the wires installed? What size bullet connectors are they? 5mm?
    Last edited by pavmentsurfer; 10-27-2010 at 11:45 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RcPocketRocket
    Same here but 1520 on 6s 18/36 Gearing ATM..
    It is a total animal and even after 2-5ah 3s batteries in series the motor is barely warm to the touch. I am running in the street and on the grass 60% street and about 40% grass.
    But this motor also has almost twice the surface area than the 2200.
    How the heck did you get the 1520 to fit? The 1518 was a shoehorn job and there isn't any room left at all.
    BASH. BREAK. FIX. REPEAT. ALWAYS REPEAT.

RC Racer
    how can you tell if a pinion would fit the 1518 and also mesh well with the Spur?

I'm running the stock 54t Spur and want to raise my pinion to 24t to match the speed I'm getting from 1515 on 1518 on 5s.

RC Racer
    One more thing: to raise the overall speed I can either increase the pinion size or decrease the spur size. What makes you do one over the other? I just thought I'd increase my pinion to 24t and keep spur at 54t so that I only have to change one part Is there any reason to do it one way or the other?

fitment is an issue whenever your gearing. Truth is, it doesnt matter either way if it will fit. You can lower spur or raise pinion but at some point youll run out of room for one, and have to compensate by adjusting the other. Spurs are cheaper to buy and plastic so they do wear out and strip from time to time so I tend to keep all different sizes in stock... pinions are expensive so if I can buy fewer pinions and more spurs in different sizes, thats better for me.

RC Champion
    Also, you get finer tuning with pinions. Changing the spur by one tooth is like changing the pinion by around 3 teeth.

RC Racer
    fitment is an issue whenever your gearing. Truth is, it doesnt matter either way if it will fit. You can lower spur or raise pinion but at some point youll run out of room for one, and have to compensate by adjusting the other. Spurs are cheaper to buy and plastic so they do wear out and strip from time to time so I tend to keep all different sizes in stock... pinions are expensive so if I can buy fewer pinions and more spurs in different sizes, thats better for me.
    Thanks ps. I always wondered why people chose one over the other. I'm not sure if I got enough room to fit the 24t pinion in there (I hate how the forum search function requires at least 4 characters to do a search, can't search for "24t"), I'll just hope for the best

I just noticed that CC sells pinions as well, so I'll add a 32P 24T pinion from them to my order.

RC Champion
    Have you tried to go mod 1 gears and see if there is any gearing that would equal to what you are looking for.

Terry

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Divey1130
    Have you tried to go mod 1 gears and see if there is any gearing that would equal to what you are looking for.

Terry
    I thought i'd stick with 32p (that's mod .8, right?) because on castles' site they say use 32P for non conversions.

Which brings me to another question, why would someone use mod1 over mod 0.8?

RC Champion
    Mod 1 are bigger teeth which are stronger and less prone to strip. The mod .8 are just as good but I was suggesting that it may help you in your gearing.
    As for castle's website, I wouldn't listen to that. And there pinions are no good. Strip out way to easy and come off all the time. Especially the aluminum one's they sent with there new motors. I probably have 3 now.
    Terry

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianG
    Also, you get finer tuning with pinions. Changing the spur by one tooth is like changing the pinion by around 3 teeth.
    You deffinately said that backwards... 1 tooth on a pinion is about 3 teeth on spur.
    Last edited by anr2442; 10-27-2010 at 07:12 PM.

RC Racer
    So a 18/65 is the same thing as 19/62?
    http://s405.photobucket.com/albums/pp138/TANKS250/

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Divey1130
    Mod 1 are bigger teeth which are stronger and less prone to strip. The mod .8 are just as good but I was suggesting that it may help you in your gearing.
    As for castle's website, I wouldn't listen to that. And there pinions are no good. Strip out way to easy and come off all the time. Especially the aluminum one's they sent with there new motors. I probably have 3 now.
    Terry
    Thanks for the clarification and the heads-up, almost ordered that pinion.
    What do you think of robinson pinions? http://www.rcplanet.com/ProductDetai...ctCode=RRP8724

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by anr2442
    You deffinately said that backwards... 1 tooth on a pinion is about 3 teeth on spur.
    Yeah man I need to finish this coffee. Brian knows his stuff so I was reading that like 5 times thinking I need stronger coffee

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG-block
    How the heck did you get the 1520 to fit? The 1518 was a shoehorn job and there isn't any room left at all.
    A friend has been letting me use his plasma cutter I made a few brackets.
    Still had to hack up the shock mounts though just a little.
    Now the 1717s I need to find a place for.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RcPocketRocket
    Now the 1717s I need to find a place for.
    It can have a place with me if you dont want it

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by anr2442
    lol, sorry. But you know what I meant.

@RcPocketRocket: Yeah, the 1717 is a nice motor. I put one in my truggy and it's got gobs of effortless power. I mainly use the truggy to tow my little girl around the neighborhood in her wagon when we go for our walks, and this motor does it with ease. I've actually pulled two kids in the wagon. Traction is more of an issue than power.

The 1717 has the same bolt spacing, but uses 4mm bolts so a little modding is needed, but worth it. Being slightly shorter than the 1518, it might work if the motor diameter isn't too big and/or could limit gearing.

RC Racer
    I am running 24/54 in my ERBE and even after alot of RACING has never been over 142-5*, about the same temps running 25/54, even with 24/54 I think speed is similar to 1515 on 18/54-56 but 1518 is alot smoother(but at the same time feels a tad bit less punchy)

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianG
    lol, sorry. But you know what I meant.

@RcPocketRocket: Yeah, the 1717 is a nice motor. I put one in my truggy and it's got gobs of effortless power. I mainly use the truggy to tow my little girl around the neighborhood in her wagon when we go for our walks, and this motor does it with ease. I've actually pulled two kids in the wagon. Traction is more of an issue than power.

The 1717 has the same bolt spacing, but uses 4mm bolts so a little modding is needed, but worth it. Being slightly shorter than the 1518, it might work if the motor diameter isn't too big and/or could limit gearing.
    Nice I have a new idea my little girl is really little as in weeks though
    Hopefully she likes cars unlike her mom

RC Racer
    After searching the the threads I finally found someone who is running the 1518 in their summit. How do you like it?
    ERBE
    RUSTY VXL
    Summit 1518
    Merv & Mini Summit

I finally got this motor installed, I ended up going with mod 1 gearing. 18/40. Im having issues with my aluminum shock caps leaking so I havent been able to run full packs yet (2 X 3S 5000mah)... but the little running I have done has proven to be amazing. This truck is just sick. WAY too fast for realistic everyday use. Crazy low end punch and my temps have not been over about 80 or 90... but it was -5 out and I was running in about 3 inches of snow so thats not realistic temps... eitherway, im very happy with this setup. Ive got new shock caps on the way, which will be the final parts needed to get this truck finished.