RC Champion

My thoughts on the Stampede 4x4!

Ok, so several months ago Steve Slayden put something together talking about the Slash 4x4 VXL, then somebody else posted it on the Slash 4x4 section. One of the things he talked about was how the diffs have oils (and grease) that are better for on-road driving since most people will be taking it to parking lots, etc. The other day I got to thinking about that, and I thought it would be cool to have two versions of the Slash 4x4... One set up for on-road (like they have) and one set up for off-road (like Steve Slayden suggested). Now, what does this have to do with the new, extreme Stampede 4x4? This... If Traxxas puts oils and greases in the Stampede 4x4 for on-road, please do a RTR off-road set-up. I think it would make it easier and more affordable for the people who love this great hobby. And, maybe Traxxas could start doing this for the Slash 4x4, too.

Here's another thought. There are already a couple of threads asking about a Platinum Edition. But, I've gotta say that an Ultimate edition would great, too. Big Bore shocks, alum. castor blocks, etc.

So far I think the truck looks like it's gonna be sick. I can't wait. I've been thinking about doing a small project with something like a Summit or Slash 4x4, but now I'm thinking this Stampede 4x4 might be better for the project (because it's smaller and cheaper ). What are your thoughts, everyone?

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    doesn't seem to be cheaper...

All I can say is when it comes to traxxas releasing vehicles, the more, the merrier.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Amen brother... bring them on. Im not sure what your talking about in terms of on/off road. The pede 4X4 is setup for offroad driving. And, it comes with sealed revo spec diffs so you can use different weight diff fluid to tune the diff action for whatever surface your running on. Its not a cost issue at traxxas, its just something you adjust at home for your particular driving location and style.

I think the reason people are asking for a platinum is because it doesnt come with a radio and is typically much cheaper than an ultimate. Most guys have a radio already so they dont need the one the ultimate version would come with.... but the aluminum bits and the shocks are something people would buy with a platinum because if you replace them on your stock truck, the stock plastic parts are worthless... might as well get them pre-installed.

RC Champion
    Go look at the thread in the Shlash 4x4 section and read it a little bit. I think it would a little cheaper because you don't have to buy the other fluids, etc. I may be wrong, and the Stampede 4x4 mght already have the right fluids for off-road... IDK

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Z
    Go look at the thread in the Shlash 4x4 section and read it a little bit. I think it would a little cheaper because you don't have to buy the other fluids, etc. I may be wrong, and the Stampede 4x4 mght already have the right fluids for off-road... IDK

There is no correct setup for all off road conditions - setup will be very different for packed dirt vs sand vs grass vs scrub vs jumping vs tarmac etc. They can't sell a dozen different versions set up for each type of surface - you have to tune it yourself. It is a very expensive business though initially - I easily spent $150 of different weight diff and shock oils just to change things around a bit. Now I've worked out what I like there are only a few I would use but I use a bit of those (run on different surface so change a bit). I think it would be cheaper to buy one truck for each environment! I've got a slash 4x4 and may reserve that for packed dirt and pick up a pede 4x4 for harder core bashing.

Once you go 4x4 you just can't go back to 2wd.