Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Got my TRENCHERS!

Received a little order today. Well it was quite big, 40series to be precise. I decided to buy a set of Proline Trenchers and a set of Axial Oversize 8 Spoke black wheels. Although the Trencher has been around for a while and quite a few people are using them, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information about these tyres for the E-Revo. Nearly every tyre related thread has somebody asking how the Trenchers perform, what surfaces do they work on etc etc. Hopefully I'll be able to answer some of those questions.

Providing the moderators allow, I'm going to post some detailed pictures and information on the Trenchers and do a few tests using them on my ERBE, and see how they perform on varying surfaces. So lets see what we've got.

So I received two pairs of Proline Trenchers 40 series tyres: PL 1160-00
    Also two pairs of Axial Oversize 8 spoke wheels, black: AX8008.

And the two combined....

So, my initial impressions. First off these tyres come in the M2 compound which is supposed to be a medium compound rubber. Out of the bag, the Trenchers feel really tacky and soft. The central lugs are very plyable which should give great grip, while the outer lugs are chunkier and firmer. The side wall tread is even softer than the centre lugs which would be ideally suited to crawling on smooth rock. Whether this tread is really needed for an out and out basher I'm not sure but it does mean that you could use them on your E-Maxx, E-Revo or Summit for crawling. The outer lugs and side wall tread are tapered so that there isn't a sharp 'corner' on the tyre which hopefully means that they won't grip roll at higher speeds.

These tyres are big! Compared to both the stock Talons and Badlands, they are enormous. Compared to the MOAB, they are very slightly taller and very slightly narrower but have a more rounded profile. Just to see how big they were I weighed them and compared the weights to the stock Talon/Gemini combination, Badlands and Maximizer beadlock combo and the MOAB's glued onto some old 14mm Proline wheels. Here are the results:

Traxxas Talon / Gemini wheel / standard TRX foam, no tape:

265g per wheel/tyre/foam.

Proline Badlands / Maximizer Beadlock / standard PL Foam, 2 wraps of Duct Tape:

326g per wheel/tyre/foam

Proline Trencher / Axial wheel / standard PL foam, no tape (yet):

423g per wheel/tyre/foam

Proline MOAB / Proline wheel / standard PL foam, no tape:

456g per wheel/tyre/foam

Yup, they are big!! This will of course add a lot of weight and stress to your driveline parts, driveshafts, diffs, transmission etc, and the added load to the motor will be that you will need to gear down to run them. All common sense really. Anyway, here are a few more pics of the Trenchers and some comparisons with the tyres above.

Trencher and Talon

Badlands and Trencher

MOAB and Trencher

Next post will be a pic of them on the truck, and then I need to get them taped and glued before heading out to test them properly. Also the first off road run with these tyres will be the first off road run with the ERBE so I can't wait!

Thanks for looking, and if you have any feedback please post it!

RC Qualifier
    Tires look really nice, good luck on your first run.
    http://www.youtube.com/profile.php?do=editpassword/Revoman859

I like them, good looking tire. That is a big tire though. How much tall than the talon?
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Champion
    Wow I didn't expect them to be that tall. I might have to run those on my Summit
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?536733

hmm... i like those! I think I may grab a set myself.
    infowars.com

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Wow, after being mostly a 1/10 (small) guy (pede's and rustys) I thought my set of badlands on beadlocks were HUGE... but clearly they are just average. THESE tires are HUGE. Looking forward to seeing them on the truck.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Ok. Only managed to get a couple of pics indoors of them on the truck. With these things I need a bigger work bench Also I just checked, if I took the wing off and lowered the suspension to about 1/2 inch ground clearance, this thing could run either way up with the shell on!!

Something not so great that I've found is that the way the foams were packed, none of them are round, and some of them have serious creases in them. I have left them in the tyres, on the wheels for a few hours so hopefully they have regained shape. If they are still bad when I pull them out I'll post some pics!

Sorry to those guys asking for measurements. I knew I forgot something. Will try and post those ASAP

Nice. I like the black rims too. That is a big tire.
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Qualifier
    My mashers were all messed up, the bead was curvy and the foam had creases, from being squashed in the package. that looks really good, Try driving it Upside down. Hehe

RC Champion
    Excellent review ! If I was fluent in English my reviews could be like yours...
    Now you just need a MT body to match these beautiful tires

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Popoxx
    Excellent review ! If I was fluent in English my reviews could be like yours...
    Now you just need a MT body to match these beautiful tires

Yup! Any Suggestions?? Like a pick up shell, but not the Chevy C10. I have got a stock 3905 shell sitting here, might give that a try.

I'm hoping this is only the start of the review. Try and get some actual test results by driving, rather than just feeling them

I thought you were fluent in English

Pics of foams coming up soon.

RC poster
    Wow those things are huge!
    Dring Monster Energy, Do dumb things faster!

RC Champion
    nice looking tyre man... perfect size to... i always found my (your) moabs a lil to big for what i wanted.... might have a look at a set of them for the ol' T
    we can rebuild it, we can make it faster, stronger

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Here's a pic of the foams. They are a little better having been mounted onto the wheels.

Still not good are they? Whilst on the subject of foams, two things. Firsty these foams are absolutely massive. I've taken the tyres on and off twice today and each time it's taken a while to get the bead to seat all the way round. Reason for this is that the foam is so big, that it is pulling the tyre bead away from the rim. Hopefully just trimming the outer edge of the foam at an angle will help with this. Second, why no moulded foam?? It doesn't have to be a high tech closed cell foam like you get for the race tyres, but just something like the you get with Badlands with a bit of shape to it that fits inside the tyre. Like I said, a bit of trimming should sort the foams out.

Just removed the wing and rear bumper to play with the E-Maxx and Summit shells I have lying around. E-Maxx shell is too short in wheel base, and the Summit shell with it's Exo Cage weighs a ton, maybe two. Now I'm thinking of possibly a Bug shell. Just can't decide. Bug or truck?

Traxxas Employee sofasticantseeit's Avatar
    Here's a tip- Try heating the foams up with a hairdryer. They will regain their shape. Don't go overboard though, just warming them should do the trick.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by sofasticantseeit
    Here's a tip- Try heating the foams up with a hairdryer. They will regain their shape. Don't go overboard though, just warming them should do the trick.

Thank you for the tip. I was racking my brain on ways to expand the crushed bits. I will give it a try. I'd like to get them right before I glue the tyres.

What do you suggest, lowheat and see how it goes??

Traxxas Employee sofasticantseeit's Avatar
    Yes. If you need to warm them up more you can, but go slow and be smart.

RC Champion
    the emaxx body with that setup looks sexy!!! Deffinately go the truck route if you can find something else.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by eemmaaxxxx
    Yup! Any Suggestions?? Like a pick up shell, but not the Chevy C10. I have got a stock 3905 shell sitting here, might give that a try.

I'm hoping this is only the start of the review. Try and get some actual test results by driving, rather than just feeling them

I thought you were fluent in English

Pics of foams coming up soon.
    I really like these Silverado bodies. this pic is of my summit, and when I get my ERBEB(E-Revo Brushless Edition Basher) built I will be setting it up the same bumpers/lights/bodies.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?536733

RC Competitor
    Really curious about these myself and very interested to hear what you think of them once you get a chance to run them.

As you mentioned, the greater diameter and weight would add more stress to the truck. I'm wondering if you will experience more frequent parts wear / breakage.

What's interesting is that Proline told me that they are getting away from the MT size tires. They said it was an industry shift and that today's monster trucks and 1/8 scale vehicles were more than capable of running them.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by rixhobbies
    Really curious about these myself and very interested to hear what you think of them once you get a chance to run them.

As you mentioned, the greater diameter and weight would add more stress to the truck. I'm wondering if you will experience more frequent parts wear / breakage.

What's interesting is that Proline told me that they are getting away from the MT size tires. They said it was an industry shift and that today's monster trucks and 1/8 scale vehicles were more than capable of running them.
    Yeah I can't wait!! I'm running 6s with a very well tuned throttle finger I've only broken a couple of shafts on my Maxx and that was doing standing reverse flips.

There is a bit of a delay because I'm sorting the foams out. Hair dryer works really well, and I also need to tape up the tyres.

RC Competitor
    Anything new to report on those Trenchers?

RC Qualifier
    I love that summit body on there!! just my 2 cents. what gearing are you running?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nearly there guys! Foams are sorted, tyres are all taped up, and I've made a start on glueing. Did some crazy onroad (plus a bit of grass) bashing on my Badlands at the weekend, and added some road rash to my shiney Revo!

On 6s I managed to pop all 4 tyres out of the beadlocks!!! Pushed them back in with a flat blade screwdriver and tightened those suckers down. I took my Revo to an event on Sunday to show it to a friends kid (13) who ever since he heard about my Revo has been wanting to see it! Anyway, as soon as he saw the size of the truck he didn't think he could drive it and was really nervous of breaking it. So whilst showing him the motor and ESC I dropped it about a meter straight onto the road. Suspension soaked it all up, and told him that it was indestructable The best part was the look on his face as I took off down the road in a massive wheely grinding the wing all the way. Then when I let him drive he was soo nervous it was funny. Managed get him doing little wheelies, and he attempted a backflip off the curb but didn't quite make it.

Nothing like the feeling of showing off to a crowd of people who couldn't help but stop what they were doing to watch! And the kid has a great day too.

Anyway, Trenchers by the weekend!! Promise!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by eemmaaxxxx View Post

Anyway, Trenchers by the weekend!! Promise!

Very anxious to hear more about these Trenchers. I am seriously considering adding them to my truck.
    Y-Town Competition Crawlers Team Driver

RC Qualifier
    I like the looks of those, they are pretty knarly. I think they would do well in the snow, are you going to be doing much snow bashing this winter?
    That's Just How I Roll o==o>

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    First off, appologies!! Work has gone through the roof. Nearly finished glueing the tyres up, but I'm sure many of you know the feeling of getting back from work, and just wanting to crash in front of the TV.

RC Shocker: Yup, I'm sorry.

Freaky: These are some knarly boots. That said the tread is a fairly soft compound rubber for such a big tyre. As for snow bashing...... The middle of the UK is lucky if it gets half an inch of snow on the ground for more than a couple of hours!!! That said, England ground to a halt last winter because of snow. I can only hope
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

RC Qualifier
    Dear eemmaaxxxx,
    send them wheels to me I'll be more than happy to try them out in the snow for ya!

RC Qualifier
    Well I hope you get the chance to test those bad boys out in the snow, I really think they would do well. Here in Utah we usually get alot of great snow, I could see a tire like that really doing well. Too bad I'm broke or I would just give those a good snow test myself. Well post up how they do if ya get the chance to snow bash with them.
    BTW I agree the truck look goes best with those, the Summit body also looks good but I prefer the tuff truck look. Maybe look into a Revo 3.3 body (the newer style) I'm running the blue/black one and love the way it looks.
    That's Just How I Roll o==o>

RC Champion
    I went ahead and ordered up a set of these for my E-Maxx. I figure, it's on a MT , so they might as well be BIG, HUGE, and ENORMOUS. ALL words I've heard used to describe these. I think I will really the realistic-looking tread pattern and softer compound.

Any updates??? Any more breaks???

I want to know all I can, my "premount" Trenchers wont be here until next week.

RC Champion
    imo go with summit body, it looks beast! Plus do know how much wieght you added with those tires?
    Nothin' like a 4 on the floor and a V8

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 02hawk View Post
    imo go with summit body, it looks beast! Plus do know how much wieght you added with those tires?

I'm gonna say, YES......He does

Quote Originally Posted by eemmaaxxxx View Post
    Just to see how big they were I weighed them and compared the weights to the stock Talon/Gemini combination, Badlands and Maximizer beadlock combo and the MOAB's glued onto some old 14mm Proline wheels. Here are the results:

Traxxas Talon / Gemini wheel / standard TRX foam, no tape:

265g per wheel/tyre/foam.

Proline Badlands / Maximizer Beadlock / standard PL Foam, 2 wraps of Duct Tape:

326g per wheel/tyre/foam

Proline Trencher / Axial wheel / standard PL foam, no tape (yet):

423g per wheel/tyre/foam

Proline MOAB / Proline wheel / standard PL foam, no tape:

456g per wheel/tyre/foam

RC poster
    So who got news of the performance of the Trenchers? Anybody tried them yet?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by flowrider View Post
    So who got news of the performance of the Trenchers? Anybody tried them yet?
    I ran them yesterday for a full run and I like them. Running 2X Hyperion 2S 45C Batteries with 18/68 I think gearing. No temp issues and ran hard for about 25 minutes. They throw a lot of dirt! And sound like a full size truck on the road.

RC Enthusiast
    I put some pictures up with the trenchers in the pic area.

RC Racer
    hi where did you buy these wheels and tyres from i also live in uk and know how hard it is to get these sort of items, thanks
    Its more than just a hobby...

RC Competitor
    I think Towerhobbies is a good resource for Eurpeans.

But how do the Trenchers perform on the Revo??

I heard, that Wheels with this dimension are too big for the Revo Servos.

RC Qualifier
    Any update on these tires? Im thinking of getting them since i'm bored with tires and there are no new tires out there...
    Tekin RX-8 ERBE
    MC 1/8th scale Center Diff

RC Qualifier
    bump for update with pics?

RC poster
    get ready to start bashing!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast