RC Racer

cold weather tuning question

Right now in my location it's 45 degrees outside; my question is at what temperature in cold weather is it a good idea to wrap the cooling head to get your temps up on a TRX 3.3 or any nitro engine?
    I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

~~Cold Weather Nitro Tuning Tips~~ Bottom half of article is for nitro's.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. NStampede Freak's Avatar
    It really depends on your setup and tuning. You need to watch your actual temperature and go from there. If the engine is running below 200*f or so, you will need to get it hotter.

45*f really isn't that cold either. I wouldn't get concerned until the air temp goes below freezing.
    N Stampede 2.5R
    E Stampede VXL
    Tmaxx 2.5

Quote Originally Posted by rcfan60123
    Right now in my location it's 45 degrees outside; my question is at what temperature in cold weather is it a good idea to wrap the cooling head to get your temps up on a TRX 3.3 or any nitro engine?
    Wrapping the head isn't a bad idea to help hold engine heat,but in cold weather conditions I would be more worried about pre-heating the engine than wrapping it.

Last time I raced my nitro it was in the low 50's and I had no trouble getting it to run in the low 200 range without any sort of insulating.Took some minor tweaking on the needles,but that's about it.

RC Qualifier
    get it up to a good temp before tuning. I haven't had to wrap the head but it wouldn't hurt just to get the temps up

Also remember: DO NOT TUNE BY TEMPERATURE. The colder air leans the engine out but the ambient temp will mask the leaner condition if measuring by temps alone. Richen the engine slightly and judge more by performance and smoke. If it's making good power and has some smoke then the engine is fine. After tuning then use the temp gun to get a ballpark temp.

RC Racer
    So is it OK for the engine to be performing wonderfully and only be running in the low 200's or upper 190s? my revo (fresh from break in, 2 or 3 tanks after) was running 195-204 last Sunday when I was running it with ambiet air temps around 50F or so. It didn't have any issues stalling, and it had a good smoke trail. I wasnt incredibly worried about it, but I didnt want to lean it any more. Is this a situation where you'd want some sort of insulation on the head?
    E-Maxx 3905 BL 2.4GHz
    Revo 3.3

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    In cold weather, I tune the engine to run properly, then check the temperature. If the temperature is too low, I will adjust air flow to get it to run properly. IMO, it is a bad idea to lean out the mixture to get the engine to run hotter. You may get the temps higher, but you may also melt glow plugs, burn up rod bearings and blow up pistons. In temps below 40, I have a "shortie" cylinder head with some fins cut off that works great at keeping the engine running at proper temps.
    Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

RC Champion
    Yeah don't ever lean the engine to get temps up. The engine will run cooler when the air is cooler. And magestic is right, normally in cold weather the humidity is lower, and the engine will need more fuel.
    Don't mess with the Cyber Bully

RC Racer
    yeah I didn't lean it out any. I just kind of let it run as is. Even when the ambient temps are 65=75 the engine wont run above 260F. But as the temp drops it seems that the engine drops twice as fast! At 45-55F, the engine struggles to get above 200! But it runs like MAD. Excellent take off, great smoke trail, and a perfect idle down. I guess I'll just let it go and run it as is! If I can find another cyl head for sale, I'll try your method, acreeguy. Thanks!
    E-Maxx 3905 BL 2.4GHz
    Revo 3.3

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It's pretty easy to find one used from someone who purchased an aftermarket head. An easy way is to wrap some alumininum foil on the top few fins, but it looks a little janky. (The sawed off head looks odd too......)

RC Competitor
    i plan on getting a slayer 4x4 pro in the next couple weeks and i live in Salem, Oregon right now we are in the 40s - 50s but later on it will start to snow and get colder and below 35, right now i plan on keeping it pretty stock i will buy paddles, and sway bars but that's about it right now for the winter, but i wanted to play with it when it snows is there anything spacial i need to do?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    As you know, break-in is critical to long and trouble free engine life. When I break-in a new engine, I always make sure that the engine is hitting 220+F for the first few critical tanks. This will be impossible when it is 40 degrees out and a rich break-in carburetor setting. The foil trick works well here. I will also go the extra mile and pre-heat the engine with a hair dryer to over 150F to expand the sleeve a little and relieve some of the interference fit between the new piston and sleeve. (they can be pretty tight) If you don't have a infrared thermometer yet, put one on your shopping list, IMO it is a necessary tool. Using the above technique, I have gotten engines to last 10+ gallons of fuel (a lot of driving!) before needing a rebuild.

Since the Slayer has water resistant servos and radio box, nothing else needs to be done in that department.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by arceeguy View Post
    As you know, break-in is critical to long and trouble free engine life. When I break-in a new engine, I always make sure that the engine is hitting 220+F for the first few critical tanks. This will be impossible when it is 40 degrees out and a rich break-in carburetor setting. The foil trick works well here. I will also go the extra mile and pre-heat the engine with a hair dryer to over 150F to expand the sleeve a little and relieve some of the interference fit between the new piston and sleeve. (they can be pretty tight) If you don't have a infrared thermometer yet, put one on your shopping list, IMO it is a necessary tool. Using the above technique, I have gotten engines to last 10+ gallons of fuel (a lot of driving!) before needing a rebuild.

Since the Slayer has water resistant servos and radio box, nothing else needs to be done in that department.
    thanks for the tips, this will be the first brand new truck i get, i had a t-maxx 3.3 had some problems after a while and just sold it, i have a laser infrared thermometer, is the traxxas one good, i think its like 20 bucks seems cheap and would be nice?