Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Question Living on my own soon

Well in 2 days I will be moving into my first apartment. Really excited to have my own bachelor pad. I'm 20 years old so it's time to grow a bit and gain responsibilities. There's one thing I thought about though that's kinda critical...... The expensive rc hobby. I'm wondering if I'll even be able to afford my rides anymore. When parts break they can be expensive and I hate seeing these rc trucks rot away not being driven. The only thing I thought about sensibly was maybe selling both with everything you need for both trucks(wheels, unused a arms, batteries, chargers...etc) and use that money to buy one very durable rc. Maybe 1/8 definitely BL.

I dunno, I'm sure there's guys out there that have been in my situation before.
    99%er

RC Champion
    Good luck and beware idiot roomates.

RC Champion
    Get a good paying job and you won't have that issue.
    So I taped my hamster to the Pede..

RC Enthusiast
    budgeting is your friend....give yourself a budget and stick to it...If you have some $$$ left over after all is paid and you have food on your table, maybe treat yourself to some RC stuff.

oh yeah..and stay away from the ladies..your money will surely be gone!
    Last edited by norske; 10-31-2010 at 01:09 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Everyone thinks you have to have a high paying job to get by but then again that's the way americans have become its all about get rich fast.reality is most people don't make 100k a year so the next best thing is a budget. Take care of your needs first then work with wht you have.if you can put away 10$ pr paycheck.its not a lot but it will add up fast for a future project

RC Champion
    Stay away from best buy and women!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by norske
    budgeting is your friend....give yourself a budget and stick to it...If you have some $$$ left over after all is paid and you have food on your table, maybe treat yourself to some RC stuff.
    Lol I planned out my budget and it seems alright. I'm just working full-time minimum wage 9.50. I have some to spare but recently I've been given the medicinal help I need, legally and I'm not sure how much my budget will change according to that.

****, my girlfriend isn't moving in but will help with food and entertainment when she spends the night. And in the next few days I'll actually be hitting up best buy for a 32" LCD tv and an acer 1TB, 6GB computer tower and stickin em together. I of course need to build my man-cave lol
    99%er

RC Qualifier
    yes i just moved out on my own too, and the best way to keep the r/c hobby alive is to work at a hobby store...bahaahah thats what i am doing. lol but ya living on your own is expensive, and i have sold more r/c stuff than i have boughten but i also have yet to get me discount at hobby town usa. but the job is awesome !!
    Rustler VXL SPC Power
    4-tec 5700K MM SPC Power

RC Qualifier
    You lucky son of a gun. I work morning room service at holiday inn. I guess tips will help with money for parts. Just gotta pay off my darn visa.
    99%er

RC Racer
    just remember that all the lousy jobs help you realize when the good one comes along..
    4x4 slash
    08 F350 6.4 diesel

RC Qualifier
    That is true. I just plan on Workng full time til college next year for autobody and paint. Then job placement at maybe 30/ an hour
    99%er

You're 20 yrs old. There's a lot of temptations out there with your newly found freedom. So remember moderation and self-consideration.

I don't hear any mention of education, and when you are in your 40's-50's and looking for a job you better have something to show for it or you WILL be working at McDonald's or bagging groceries into your 70's.

Just something you really need to keep that in mind.

Your budget will be tight, if you choose a room mate ensure your lease allows it, also choose your room mates very wisely. A good room mate is hard to come by but you get a bad room mate and it can be a nightmare.

Hang onto those RC's, you'll be spending money on setup things for a little while, dishes, cleaning stuff, bedding, furniture... It adds up quickly. In time you'll get that part handled.

Well you're flying out of the nest, it's up to you from here. Good Luck and best of wishes.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

I'm 22 and plan on going back to school hopefully for spring classes. Going for journalism and graphics design and after that engineering. I'll be quitting my fulltime at walmart and sticking to my parttime(pays 17an hour and the hours are perfect). I still live at home. I Refuse to have roommates for many reason. Independent to me is living and supporting yourself by yourself and not having the help of the government like most of the people get that I work with at walmart(no offense). To the Op. stick to your plans and save your money and watch out for frauds and negative people.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Qualifier
    I do plan on attending red river collegiate for their autobody and paint course. Sitting in my place right now haha, the guy just left from setting up tv and Internet + wireless. Spent 200 on first loa of groceries and basic staples( mustard, ketchup all that good stuff. Going to best buy tonight for a nice 32" LCD and a computer. Everything is piecing together. Starting to look like home( hehehe awesome saying that) maybe I'll post pictures once I set up my man cave. Just wish there was a dirt track near by to race on. Or if traxxas released some micro cars ( micro-dt or dNaNo sized) to run around the bachelor pad
    99%er

RC poster
    your 1/16 should be fine for screwing about in your bachelor pad. and if it isnt. just go burn up tires on the street =d

RC Qualifier
    sad thing is its gonna get snowy soon here in the Great White North(lol). Right now im hooked up to my new computer system. 32" Samsung LCD 720p tv/monitor with an Acer Tower.Triple core, 4gb memory, 750gb. LOVE IT.
    99%er

RC Qualifier
    I'm 21 and I'm not in apartment yet but I'm planning to move maybe next summer. I'm actually collecting a big brick of cash so when I move I can buy everything I need and don't have to pay every month for what I got. I also got a quite good job considering the price it cost here to rent an apartment. Around 250-300$ for a 3 1/2 or 4 1/2 or 400-450 for a 5 1/2$... And at those price they are great apartment, not talking about the one that are menaged by the government and that are really dirty... Can't wait to be on my own
    No pain! No Gain!

RC Qualifier
    It's definitely different. Waking up and saying "ha this place is mine" has already started happening. Total privacy. Friends love the place. And yes, save save save. I cashed a valuable savings bond for this place and all things I've needed to buy. Save $3000 to $5000 to be comfortable
    99%er

RC Qualifier
    As for food, live off a 98 cent box of white rice. For drinks. Get 4 liters of flavored water for 4 dollars. Wal mart has cheep bedroom stuff. Youll have tons of spare if ya live cheapo lol
    Live Life.................While You Can

RC Qualifier
    Lol I bought a flat of beef noodles, couple boxes of mac and cheese and tons of soup. Also ground beef to make mozzarella stuffed burgers. It'll be first time making burgers so I hope I don't die lol. I'll post some pics soon icky bachelor setup. So stoked lol
    99%er

Quote Originally Posted by Slash240
    . Save $3000 to $5000 to be comfortable
    Smart thinking.
    Never know whats around the corner.
    Slash 4x4
    Stampede 4x4
    Stampede 2WD

RC Enthusiast
    Whatever you do, get an education or a skill and don't go into debt. My $.02.
    4x4 VXL Stampede on 3S power

Quote Originally Posted by Slash240
    Lol I bought a flat of beef noodles, couple boxes of mac and cheese and tons of soup. Also ground beef to make mozzarella stuffed burgers. It'll be first time making burgers so I hope I don't die lol. I'll post some pics soon icky bachelor setup. So stoked lol
    One thing I remembered is dining for one and grocery shopping for 1 is very hard unless you go on a high salt, high suger, high fat diet......

It's hard to cook healthy, I highly suggest a WOK, and if you can have a small grill outside.... With those 2 things you can cook yourself good healthy inexpensive meals and freeze them.

I used to make Sundays my cooking days as I watched football. Made enough for the week. It comes out much cheaper and you don't end up with a spare tire around your belt....
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Qualifier
    lol my mom got me a toaster oven and thats really helpful. big enough tray for 1 maybe 2 portions( if you gotta make her breakfast lol ). tonight my buddy is coming over for some fermented drinks and were gonna try and make mozza stuffed burgers so cheese just oozes out.

I got this amazing recipe for chicken and sausage gumbo from my girlfriends dad. its easy to make in large portions so i can fridge the rest and have another day. its not soupy like normal gumbo, he adds more rice so its thick and filling and so FREAKING good when your....extra hungry lol

p.s. already have a spare tire, but im sliming down, at maximum density i was 280 lbs, im now 225 and lookin good.
    99%er

RC Qualifier
    Well its been 8 months on my own and Im still alive. In November I broke up with my girlfriend and have been single since. Kinda heartbroken but oh well, 2 packs in my Slash and im good haha. Its really weird. Shes already moved on and plans to move in with a guy she met talking over xbox live. But thats okay, (tell me your opinions on that please) Im fine on my own.

I recently joined a new band so thats got me feeling awesome. Great outlet for pain/feelings. Sad thing is Im completely torn. I need to buy a new bass amp and considering selling my traxxas for money towards the amp. Im even more torn because my 3 year old nephew absolutely LOVES my 1/16 Slash so im not sure. My bro also convinced me to sign up to Plenty Of Fish and girls have been sending me messages so thats even better.

My diet? not soo good. Im now down to 210, having 3 meals a day is a rare thing. Its good that I work in a restraunt so I can grab food before Im finished my shift and sometimes the cooks will give me extra frozen perogies to have at home. I do buy groceries tho, dont get me wrong but its not as often as I should be buying. But I am an awesome cook, my dad was a chef and he's taught me alot. Girls are very impressed when I invite them over and cook them a great meal .
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 07-16-2011 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Language
    99%er

RC Champion
    Well atleast your alive, good to hear. You should get soem pics up of the pad, since you said you were gonna last year. I wish you luck on getting another girlfriend and good luck man.
    Hows that nitro taste on your electric?

RC Qualifier
    Well Slash, you could see if your local music shop has any used equipment that would work. Or, even if you hafta pay a little more, if they'll let you go on payments, that'd be a way to keep it within your budget.

Otherwise, sounds like you're in pretty good spirits. A good attitude will help you more than you'd expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    I don't hear any mention of education, and when you are in your 40's-50's and looking for a job you better have something to show for it or you WILL be working at McDonald's or bagging groceries into your 70's.
    And with my luck, I'll get fired for giving customers the paper bags with the handles on them.

RC Qualifier
    Lol well Toxic, its kinda messy right now but I think I got 2 dates planned this week so ill give r hard and get some pics up. I did find a few good deals so I think ill just set aside a good chunk of money each check till I pick up a new 5-String Ibanez :P .
    I cant sell my Slash, cause I know Ill regret it in the long run. I want to pass this one down to my nephew.
    And I did mention school. Ill be taking Autobody & Paint at a trade school near by. Thru that they will actually find me an apprenticeship and boom. My life is set.

All I want is my own decent house with a garage to work on my projects, A puppy dog to grow into my faithful companion, and an older muscle car to work on(1969 Chevy Camaro, 1970 Plymouth Barracuda or 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T) AND a fair size garage of 1:8 to 1:16 beasts to rip around. The wife, well when I find her she can be drawn into the picture. Women are pretty.......crazy at this age. I think id rather marry my rc car because if something breaks, i somewhat know how to fix it. Women dont come with instruction manuals and online support
    99%er

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash240 View Post
    The wife, well when I find her she can be drawn into the picture. Women are pretty.......crazy at this age. I think id rather marry my rc car because if something breaks, i somewhat know how to fix it. Women dont come with instruction manuals and online support
    haha So true.
    Electricity is really just organized lightning.

RC Qualifier
    Haha. So Life has been pretty good lately. Still get painful reminders of my ex but weirdly enough when that happens, something GREAT is just around the corner. My band is working on more material and im meetin lots of new people thru playing music. Were Metal, trying to find a vocalist tho or i possibly might have to sing. Check us out, Scarred With Betrayal
    Last edited by Slash240; 08-14-2011 at 06:22 PM.
    99%er

RC Qualifier
    I met a model last night at a band party and I have a date tomorrow night with a different girl. Watching Pink Floyd:The Wall and im making her dinner
    99%er

RC Qualifier
    in a hole.... with my rustler and an electrical outlet
    sweet deal!!^ good luck with that hope your doin good man i got a while till i move out but my life goal is pretty much the same as yours

RC Qualifier
    Save your money while you can, and get the best parts for your rides now before you move out because money will be scrappin. Comfortin to know I aint alone lol. Date went alright, nothin serious happened but i feel somethin between her BUT my heart is on ice til it can heal still, but shes incredible. Whats also really helped me with girls and whatnot is a site my buddy showed me. http://www.pof.com I felt low on myself before. Now girls hit on me and its weird lol
    99%er

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by slowenuff View Post
    Stay away from best buy and women!
    unless you can find a surgar mamma

RC Qualifier
    Haha, well an ex recently is in contact with me, she might be a sugar mama. I already blew cash at bestbuy the 3rd day living in my apartment. Samsung 32" LCD hooked up to an Acer tower. Hehehe never regret the purchase. But im now however in a band and my shopping list is at about $3000 so far ( THAT I NEED TO BUY ). New 5-string bass, bass cab, recording equipment, wireless rig......Check us outhttp://www.facebook.com/pages/Scarre...fDb-NI&ob=av2e
    99%er

RC Qualifier
    Haha wow. It's a year and I'm still alive! I've learned alot living on my own.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    99%er

RC Racer
    sounds like a good deal! if only i could have $3000 dollars!
    my life sucks

RC Qualifier
    Hahaha. Well, sadly my band left me in the dust. First I was told by my guitarist that well be on break, next thing I know he tells me him and the drummer got an audition into another band So that means come income tax refund season, Ill be getting a new shiny rc and some parts instead of all the equipment. I got quite a few ideas but im sure once traxxas releases the new model(s) my mind will be changed
    99%er

RC Champion
    Yeah, I'm just waiting to see what new body they come out with next haha.
    Just kidding, but I'm ready for a new model, not just a new body.

God answers prayer,pray,believe,NEVER GIVE UP!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 1979chevy. View Post
    .....just waiting to see what new body they come out with next....
    I hope not!! lol. SEMA is this week so maybe well get some info on a new vehicle.
    99%er

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast