Thread: Motor bracing..

RC Champion

Motor bracing..

Mind you, I can't fully drive my ERBE until christmas, but I read in quite a few places that spurs strip because the motor moves or gets a direct hit when flipping on the roof after a high jump.
    I saw there's an aluminium brace, but at 40€, that's quite expensive. If the issue is the motor moving downwards after a jump, wouldn't it suffice to install a small block of aluminium (or plastic or whatever) below it so it's braced against the chassis? Or am I missing something here?

RC Qualifier
    Well thats exactly what I was thinking of doin if I get an ERBE for christmas. I think it would work if it is a very tight fit
    Vxl Slash
    Xerun E-Maxx
    HT Aftershock

RC Champion
    A block will keep the motor from moving down toward the chassis, but not keep it from moving up or left or right. And you would need several blocks for several gearing options. The brace from HPP is expensive but a lot of R&D went into it and it is extremely well made.
    send $10 at paypal.me/Ray1964

RC Qualifier
    I wouldn't be able to get the hpp bracket because they don't have an american website. Also I think the foam would work for me because I plan on just running 18/54 for bashing on 4s.
    Vxl Slash
    Xerun E-Maxx
    HT Aftershock

RC Racer
    I purchased one and it works perfect, a bit expensive but worth the piece of mind knowing that I will not have to stop bashing because of a stripped gear. @ mustang just go to the page and right click, scroll down to page info and hit translate into English.
    ERBE
    RUSTY VXL
    Summit 1518
    Merv & Mini Summit

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrash
    A block will keep the motor from moving down toward the chassis, but not keep it from moving up or left or right. And you would need several blocks for several gearing options. The brace from HPP is expensive but a lot of R&D went into it and it is extremely well made.
    I saw this on the forum and now I can't seem to find it again. Does anyone have the link handy?

RC Racer
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...54#post4535654 here it is
    Scroll all the way down.
    ERBE
    RUSTY VXL
    Summit 1518
    Merv & Mini Summit

RC Qualifier
    Anybody want to buy me one and ship it to me I'll be the guinea pig
    Vxl Slash
    Xerun E-Maxx
    HT Aftershock

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by cmaynexblack
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...54#post4535654 here it is
    Scroll all the way down.
    Thanks! I was examining the stock motor mounting and you can see how there is some up and down flex in there so I think this looks to be a good solution.

I noticed that HPI secures the motor from both ends on the Flux which is good, though they seem to suffer from a seperate issue where the motor slides front to back inside their mounting clamps.

With this upgrade and the stock mounting, the ERBE will secure it solidly from all sides.

Having said that, I haven't actually broken anything on my ERBE yet (I only run 4s) but I'm all for simple bolt-ons that will enhance reliability. I've already swapped in RPM A-Arms front and back plus Traxxas aluminum tie rods and push rods.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang63
    Anybody want to buy me one and ship it to me I'll be the guinea pig
    I was the guinea pig
    Here is the final version :

RC Champion
    I don't imagine this kit will work with the 1518 motor? Can anyone verify this?
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?536733

RC Competitor
    OK I've ordered one. You don't pay the German tax so the price comes down a bit but then there is shipping. It comes to about $55 total converted from Euros.

You have to pay attention to the shipping address. It comes out funny so you may have to tweak how it's entered so it looks somewhat like a normal US address. I also paid with PayPal which of course also lists your address, so that should help.

After adding this, an RC Solutions roll cage, RPM a-arms and the Traxxas push-rods and toe-rods, the durability should be bumped up to the next level!
    Last edited by rixhobbies; 10-31-2010 at 04:50 PM.

RC Champion
    A group deal is under consideration regarding this motor mount (the aim is to reduce its price of course).
    If you're interested in send me a PM.

RC Qualifier
    I would if I new I was getting an ERBE
    Vxl Slash
    Xerun E-Maxx
    HT Aftershock

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Popoxx
    A group deal is under consideration regarding this motor mount (the aim is to reduce its price of course).
    If you're interested in send me a PM.
    I must have hit my order button as you posted this

RC Champion
    PM sent Popoxx, and in French too

RC Racer
    Ship to the US?
    http://s405.photobucket.com/albums/pp138/TANKS250/

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrash
    PM sent Popoxx, and in French too
    Réponse envoyée !

(Reply sent ! )

Quote Originally Posted by TANK'S 250
    Ship to the US?
    Yes it's a group deal for US ERBE owners.

Please send me all your questions via PM to avoid closing thread...

RC Racer
    I'm in!!!!!!!!!
    http://s405.photobucket.com/albums/pp138/TANKS250/

RC Champion
    bump i know you guys want this...so send pm's to popoxx to get on the list.

RC Qualifier
    I found that my spur gear stripping issues went away when I modified the the pivot that the motor mount moves on. I basically just fitted a washer and a screw to it to stop the motor moving up in a tumble. Havent stripped a spur in ages and last one I did was because I didn't tighten up the adjustment screw on the mount. Hope you can see what I mean in the pic bellow.

Quote Originally Posted by quadiak
    I don't imagine this kit will work with the 1518 motor? Can anyone verify this?
    I doubt it. There is very little room back there with the 1518.

BASH. BREAK. FIX. REPEAT. ALWAYS REPEAT.

RC Champion
    hey that kinda makes sense. Thanks for the pics and tips
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?536733

RC Qualifier
    If you try to pull up the rear of your motor you will see that it does move a lot at the bottom. I could easily get a 3-4mm gap and that's not even yanking that hard. Only one screw holding the mount on is just wrong. Now when I try to move the motor the whole transmission, motor mount and the motor move together. You have to use a lot of effort but you can actually see that the only thing that flexes now is the chassis it self where the transmission mounts to it.
    All you have to do is take off the plastic pivot from the motor/trans plate and remove about 2mm from the very end of it. Actually the pivot is kind of tapered at the end so just remove the tapered part. I used a grinder but a file will do the same. After that it is just a matter of using the right size washer and screw to tie it all together.
    If you do it let me know how you go.

RC Qualifier
    I may have missed it in the above thread but if you are running Rekno sway bars what are your options? I assume this won't work any longer?
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 12-05-2010 at 11:08 AM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by padrino View Post
    I may have missed it in the above thread but if you are running Rekno sway bars what are your options? I assume this won't work any longer?
    I'm not running sway bars so I'm not sure. I won't be using the kit because I'm switching to a Slash. I just figured I'd see who might be interested since I've already had one shipped State side.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for posting that mod BIG-Block. I also noticed a lot of movement comes from that lower pivot/mount and wondered what might help tighten that up a bit. Looks like the extra support down there will help stiffen things up and its very simple/cheap.

I like the hpp bracket but haven't had any stripped spurs yet so I think this little extra support down there should be good enough.

I imagine that 1518 being so much longer would make this motor flex problem a bigger issue, that's too bad the hpp bracket won't work with it. At least people running the 1518 can do this extra screw mod to the pivot mount to help out.
    That's Just How I Roll ««o==o>

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by padrino View Post
    I actually found another thread here on this. Post #23 shows a user reply with pic that the Tekno sways will work with the motor brace.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post4370533

There doesn't seem to be any reason why not to use this. If I wasn't moving to the Slash, I'd definately use the one I have.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by FreakyT333 View Post
    Thanks for posting that mod BIG-Block. I also noticed a lot of movement comes from that lower pivot/mount and wondered what might help tighten that up a bit. Looks like the extra support down there will help stiffen things up and its very simple/cheap.

I like the hpp bracket but haven't had any stripped spurs yet so I think this little extra support down there should be good enough.

I imagine that 1518 being so much longer would make this motor flex problem a bigger issue, that's too bad the hpp bracket won't work with it. At least people running the 1518 can do this extra screw mod to the pivot mount to help out.
    Dude, just try it. I haven't stripped a spur gear since I have done that mod. Works like a treat. If you pick up your revo by the motor you will see how much the mount moves away from the transmission plate. That little screw and a washer makes all the difference. Also don't forget to remove about a mm or two from the actual plastic pivot so the washer will sit tight against the motor mount. If you need more pics on what to do just PM me.

RC Champion
    I'd like those pics too. Did you have to drill a hole in the mount, or is there one there already (I don't currently have access to the ERBE)?

RC Champion
    You can find more pics an explanations of this mod in post #234 of my thread.

RC Qualifier
    I got one of those motor mounts and after a large
    Jump and landing on it's back my 2200 popped out
    Of this mount and was siting on an angle for afew minutes
    Worth of driving
    Got home now im redoing afew things after it got trashed

RC Racer
    Since I could not fit the HPP brace on the 1518, I just did the mod Big Block showed and now I get it. Thanks Big Block, just did this to my summit.
    ERBE
    RUSTY VXL
    Summit 1518
    Merv & Mini Summit