Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

Anyone here waterproofed his MMM?

Hello,

I'm in the way of waterproofing my MMM, anyone else did that?

I'll take pictures of the final result tomorrow morning.

RC Champion
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jpSW50cobs
    So far I have heard this stuff works really well for water proofing anything. Like to see what you have going on.

Terry
    X3-RC8T/X2 ERBE/Losi SCTE/SC10 4x4/Baja 5SC/Rusty

RC Champion
    I used liquid electric tape cause it comes in all kinds of colors.

RC Racer
    I bought blue "Plasti Dip" this morning. It's drying right now.

RC Champion
    Just watch the area behind the caps, it's hard to get it fully in there.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Divey1130
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jpSW50cobs
    So far I have heard this stuff works really well for water proofing anything. Like to see what you have going on.

Terry

I put that stuff on my MMM. Although I've yet to run my truck in a lot of water, I know I'll be fine if I accidentally drive it in a large puddle. I like the idea of using the Corrosion X a lot more than Plasti-dip. Plasti-dip is nearly impossible to remove completely and voids the castle warranty. It's easy enough to clean off the Corrosion X though.
    BL E-Revo-After 14months, its done!*
    (yeah right)

RC Champion
    CorrosionX and similar products have the disadvantage of eventually "expiring", so you have to redo it every 9-12 months.. and if you forget to do it, bzzzt.

RC Racer
    After waterproofing the MMM, are there any other electronics on the ERBE that needs to be waterproofed?

I just watched this other tutorial on how to waterproof your mmm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUSmKAvHyEk

I didn't know the motor itself was water proof

RC Racer
    Has anyone tried silicone sealant from the plumbing aisle? It seems like a similar solution to the plastidip, but perhaps comes off more easily, etc. Just a thought. =)

@mamba_max1 what do you use to remove the CorrosionX?
    Last edited by kirbysdl; 11-03-2010 at 03:11 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Motor isnt sealed, so water will find its way in- depends how mucky the water is, but you can always open up the front endbell to flush the motor out with fresh water & some wd40. Rx needs to be ballooned since the watertight rx box aint 100% watertight ( the wires have to pass between the O-ring seals so they create a small gap ).

I think theres something about silicon sealant that doesnt make it suitable for applying directly to the esc- takes forever to dry if you use too much & some sealants contain alot of water ( as the water evaporates the sealant sets- like some glues ). Liquid latex like you use for painting r/c shells is good stuff though..
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Racer
    Does that also peel off more cleanly than the plastidip? I'm looking for a solution that is effective but can also be undone easily. =)

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I know it is not waterproof, but Outerwears do a water repellant cover, alomost like a bag that the MMM sits in. Looking at the product description, it looks perfect for running in damp/wet grass, keeps the dirt out and it's breathable.

RC Racer
    I was actually thinking of using something like that in general anyway (as you say, for preventing debris from clogging up fans). That said, I think I'd still be considering another solution for water. I really want to run in the snow this winter (or else I won't be able to use my Christmas present for 2-3 months ), but I don't want to fry the mmm.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If you're running in snow, it is generally cold enough that you will get away with using a shower cap over the entire chassis. It is a well tested and proven method. If you have your truck set up so that it runs cool anyway, this certainly shouldn't be an issue. I would stop every 10 or so mins just to let it breathe and check temps.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by kirbysdl
    I was actually thinking of using something like that in general anyway (as you say, for preventing debris from clogging up fans). That said, I think I'd still be considering another solution for water. I really want to run in the snow this winter (or else I won't be able to use my Christmas present for 2-3 months ), but I don't want to fry the mmm.

I waterproofed mine with liquid tape, but I still try to keep the water exposure to a minimum. If you really want to run heavily in the snow, you might want to pick up a brushed esc / motor combo for snow running. Or, what I was even thinking about doing myself, was picking up a traxxas vxl 3s esc and velineon 3500 motor - its a waterproof combo, but just not sure if it would be enough power for the erbe. My buddy has a slash, and this combo is awesome in it.

RC Racer
    Yeah I'm definitely gonna do the shower cap method. Since you gotta poke holes for the body supports and the bottom won't be absolutely watertight either though, I was hoping to do a belt and suspenders thing with an ESC-centric solution as well. I'm certainly not gonna be wading through rivers; I just wanna protect my stuff. =)

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyofDarkness
    Motor isnt sealed, so water will find its way in- depends how mucky the water is, but you can always open up the front endbell to flush the motor out with fresh water & some wd40. Rx needs to be ballooned since the watertight rx box aint 100% watertight ( the wires have to pass between the O-ring seals so they create a small gap ).

I think theres something about silicon sealant that doesnt make it suitable for applying directly to the esc- takes forever to dry if you use too much & some sealants contain alot of water ( as the water evaporates the sealant sets- like some glues ). Liquid latex like you use for painting r/c shells is good stuff though..
    I see. Thanks

RC poster
    Waterproofed my two MM with liquid tape. Great stuff.
    Usually after each run on dirt, my E-Revo goes to the shower. I like to keep it clean.
    I use Fluid Film on corrosion susceptible places and my E-Revo has a stainless screw set.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by mamba max1
    I put that stuff on my MMM. Although I've yet to run my truck in a lot of water, I know I'll be fine if I accidentally drive it in a large puddle.
    This is exactly why I waterproofed mine

I don't like going in deep water/mud, cause it's a pain in the *** to clean.

But now i won't be scared if some water is on my way and I will be able to throw it in the bath to clean it.

RC Racer
    I completely forgot to take pictures of the ESC

But the ERBE just took a shower and when i connected the LiPo right out of the bath it sang (beep code) like Celine Dion.

RC Racer
    Steeve, do you use CorrosionX or Plastidip?

I'm wondering about the need to reapply CorrosionX. Does it dry up? Does it break down into other, non-protective compounds?

What do you do when you're ready to reapply CorrosionX? Do you just resoak, or do you need to wipe/wash out the existing solution?

RC Racer
    Has anyone tried the outerwear cover?
    ERBE
    RUSTY VXL
    Summit 1518
    Merv & Mini Summit

RC Champion
    The outerwear cover resists water drops, it's not watertight. If it's submerged, it will still flood.

RC Competitor
    I'd like to try the outerwear for winter driving.. anyone has a link or pictures?

RC Qualifier
    I have the Outerwears cover mounted on my E-Revo. This is what it looks like (clickable pic):

I made a mistake and ordered the smaller cover for the motor. It probably is a perfect match for the 1515 but the 1518 that I have is too long. Haven't tried it yet so can't say if it works or not. We are getting snow right now though so I might be able to try them out tomorrow.

RC Racer
    j.f.s how do like the covers and would you recommend them? Just read the post, let us know when you try it out.
    ERBE
    RUSTY VXL
    Summit 1518
    Merv & Mini Summit

RC Qualifier
    This is what the Outerwears look like after 10 mins of running around in 7cm (3") of powder (clickable):

Photos taken with a cellphone that's why the quality is rather poor.

The covers seem to do their job pretty well. You can see some melted snow on the motor and a few drops on the ESC. I have not removed any snow from them, just took off the body and took these two shots.
    Last edited by j.f.s; 11-10-2010 at 03:40 PM.

i waterproofed mine with the liquid tape, but i like those covers....can you get them in the states or do you have a link?
    One mans garbage is another mans ungarbage" -Ricky

RC Qualifier
    It's a US based company. http://www.outerwearsracing.com/

thanks for the link!
    One mans garbage is another mans ungarbage" -Ricky

RC Qualifier
    So I browsed through those covers but am not sure which set will fit the mmm/cc2200 best. Maybe I just missed it I didn't look very hard but is there a specific combo for those? If not which covers fit best? Also I may end up going with a 1518 sometime soon probably want to get a motor cover that will fit both the 1515 and 1518. Sorry if this info is up already and I just overlooked it.
    Forums seem a tad slow lately anyways
    That's Just How I Roll o==o>

RC Qualifier
    For the ESC: http://www.outerwearsracing.com/prod...sp?prod=202583
    For the motor: http://www.outerwearsracing.com/prod...sp?prod=202529

I bought the shorter motor cover by mistake and it does NOT fit the 1518 lengthwise.

RC Racer
    Just to be clear, you cover your motor just so you don't have any cleanup issues, right? In other words, unlike the ESC which will fry in water, the motors are inherently fine around water.

RC Qualifier
    On a mountain, S.W. Colorado and Nothern Illinois
    The Outerwares for the motor really isnt needed but would help out on a black can... The Traxxas black can doesnt have anything covering the rear bearing on the motor, but that could be easily fixed with tape, sticker, or similar... As where the green can has a full sticker covering the bearing...

I wouldnt mind getting the one for the ESC after seeing those pics.... It would be nice to run the ERBE or MMM 4x4 Slash in the snow...
    fine line between hobby and mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by trek_b View Post
    Waterproofed my two MM with liquid tape. Great stuff.
    Usually after each run on dirt, my E-Revo goes to the shower. I like to keep it clean.
    I use Fluid Film on corrosion susceptible places and my E-Revo has a stainless screw set.

You wash your truck almost evertime? How are the bearings holding up, with all that water. I know the bearings have covers but.
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Competitor
    Does Outerwears make covers for batteries?
    2010 WRX

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by j.f.s View Post
    I have the Outerwears cover mounted on my E-Revo. This is what it looks like (clickable pic):

I made a mistake and ordered the smaller cover for the motor. It probably is a perfect match for the 1515 but the 1518 that I have is too long. Haven't tried it yet so can't say if it works or not. We are getting snow right now though so I might be able to try them out tomorrow.
    Can I ask you to explain how you got the cover on the MMM and remounted it onto the chassy ?
    Did you make holes in it to put the screws through to the bottom ?

RC Champion
    This is the 3rd winter, second one in use with my original v3, Ive never waterproofed anything lol, it works fine still.. It gets really cold here, so Im only outside for just 1 cycle, Ive never had a problem with it. When you are done running, just make sure you blow it out when your done. I turn it upside down for a few hours after the blow out just to let it drip dry.

RC Qualifier
    Correct. The bottom of the bag is square shaped so I put the ESC in the bag. Held it in place and cut a tiny slit for one of the screws. Put that one in and it was so tight I had to use my wrench to get the screw through the fabric. Did the same for the other screw. It was not an easy job! I also cut a slit on the side of the bag and ran the wire to the receiver out on the side of the bag. This hole was sealed with liquid tape.

I've tied down all cables on the sides of the ESC with cable ties to make sure there's nothing in the way of the fan. I have my ESC mounted so the motor wires are facing the rear of the chassis. The opening in the bag is also facing the rear. This is intentional since it's not completely sealed. There are some tiny gaps between the wires. This is something that could be sealed with liquid tape or something similar but I wanted to try it out before sealing it up.

I hope it's not too confusing

RC poster
    I used the liquid tape on mine and no problems yet. Its just nice to have the security of not ruining it if you hit a puddle or wash it off

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast