RC Qualifier

Leopard Brushless

Has anyone used this? Do you think its around the same speeds of an ezrun? Would you choose this combo over an ezrun 35a 9t combo or a 35a esc and a 540 sized tacon brushless motor? Any review for anything I listed will be appreciated
    Live Life.................While You Can

RC Qualifier
    I would for sure run a sidewinder with a tacon motor.

A guy at my track smoked his lep esc after a couple packs. Either that or the castle sc combo
    Orange Powered
    Novak BL

RC Competitor
    I saw a review on youtube that said the leopard was OK, but the motor stopped working very quickly. So yes it's cheap, but quality remains questionable atm. I saw another review somewhere (I don't remember now, possibly also on Youtube), that said that it was produced by a company that has been making brushless esc's/motor for other company for a long time...take it for what it's worth I guess.
    Last edited by Bcsandman; 11-04-2010 at 12:32 AM.

RC Qualifier
    From what I've read on URC, they are made by the same company that makes Castle's Monster motors. The 2000kv Leopard motor is supposed to be exactly the same as the Mamba Monster 2200. I dont know why they are rated at different kv's if they're the same, but I've seen it said more than once. I havent seen anything on the 1/10 stuff so I cant comment on that but I would assume the 1/8 and 1/10 stuff is all made by the same people.
    Rustler VXL Stockness Monster

RC Qualifier
    Okay. Thank you. Do you think that trusting an ezrun esc with a tacon motor would be better then going with e leopard? Im not looking into the sidewinders. They have some issues of their own also.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by czinnsy
    Okay. Thank you. Do you think that trusting an ezrun esc with a tacon motor would be better then going with e leopard? Im not looking into the sidewinders. They have some issues of their own also.
    I have an EZRun 60a and I've seen smoke from it when the EZRun motor died and it powers my Castle motor just fine all the way up to 3S! Not to mention, the day I installed it, I ran without a body and it flipped over and smashed the fan! No fan, 9 cell NiMH, and 3S with a Castle 4600 motor and it runs great! Stays cool and all!!
    Rustler VXL Stockness Monster

RC Qualifier
    Wow. Thats pretty nuts.

RC Qualifier
    Anybody else have anymore input?

RC Champion
    tacon motor should be fine. I would get at least 60a with ez-run

RC Qualifier
    Im thinking when the black friday deals come along I might go with a 60a esc and then a 1/8th scale tacon

RC Enthusiast

EZrun with Tacon

I have an EZrun 60A with a Tacon 3650 3930KV on my Stampede and it was a wheelie machine at any speed with a Lipo 2s, hte EZrun is easy to program and both the motor and ESC stay cool. I have not ran a 3s, but I think it will be almost uncontrollable with that combination of ESC and motor.

RC Qualifier
    Nicee. Tacon motors look really good

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie Figs
    From what I've read on URC, they are made by the same company that makes Castle's Monster motors. The 2000kv Leopard motor is supposed to be exactly the same as the Mamba Monster 2200. I dont know why they are rated at different kv's if they're the same, but I've seen it said more than once. I havent seen anything on the 1/10 stuff so I cant comment on that but I would assume the 1/8 and 1/10 stuff is all made by the same people.
    There's no way. Castle technically makes their own motors in a way, and the design and whatnot are based off of NEU motors, made by Steve Neu himself.So if Steve Neu is making his motors to sell that cheap, he's killing his own business.
    Some like R/C's that are fast, others like nitro

From what I've read on URC, they are made by the same company that makes Castle's Monster motors.
    You always have to consider the source on anything you read on any forum. IMO they are no more the same company and motor as the Castle motors are than the $50 Rolex the shady guy on the corner is selling is a real Rolex.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

i think i can shed some light on this....

leopard brushless motors are actually made by a Chinese company called Leopard Power Motor LTD. based out of Shenzhen China.

They're 4 pole motors that are becoming very popular here in the states because of the cost.

i've seen several run and was not at all impressed.
    One mans garbage is another mans ungarbage" -Ricky

If I may ask, what part was it that was unimpressive? Did they run overly hot, or seem slow, lack of torque? Just curious, I bought a castle motor from the clearance and couldn't be happier.
    Some like R/C's that are fast, others like nitro

i think alot of people did believe they'd run like the castle motors and they aren't as good as the old medusas imo. the people that i know that have used them say they got very hot unless you were geared way down.
    Last edited by vxlrocket; 11-05-2010 at 06:39 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I heard the tacons were pretty nasty themselves.

RC Champion
    I see a lot of guessing and misinformation in this thread.

Here is the review by Jang...
    http://ultimaterc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113904

The makers are indeed the people behind the castle motors...

I bought one of these myself. At $60 with free shipping for the holidays you can't go wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by vxlrocket
    i've seen several run and was not at all impressed.
    I respectfully have no idea where you're coming from. I had a friend over here, he had a VXL esc with the correct connectors for my new leopard motor and we plugged it in to try. Since he is running Deans connectors, I had to use one of his batteries... we were going conservative on the ESC so we stuck with 6-cell NIMH. I was very impressed, it ran faster than my VXL motor on 7-cell, and had a much smoother feel. After the run the motor was still cool to the touch.

All this being said, I would not reccommend this for a rustler... WAY overkill and too heavy.
    PLEASE do not PM me and immediately go offline :p

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlash4x4
    I see a lot of guessing and misinformation in this thread.

Here is the review by Jang...
    http://ultimaterc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113904

The makers are indeed the people behind the castle motors...

I bought one of these myself. At $60 with free shipping for the holidays you can't go wrong!

I respectfully have no idea where you're coming from. I had a friend over here, he had a VXL esc with the correct connectors for my new leopard motor and we plugged it in to try. Since he is running Deans connectors, I had to use one of his batteries... we were going conservative on the ESC so we stuck with 6-cell NIMH. I was very impressed, it ran faster than my VXL motor on 7-cell, and had a much smoother feel. After the run the motor was still cool to the touch.

All this being said, I would not reccommend this for a rustler... WAY overkill and too heavy.

the manufacturers are the same... meaning where they build the motors are in the same place. the designs are not the same. Castle doesn't make this motor and having them both manufactured in the same place doesn't really lend anything to the brand except the location where they are built.

as far as my experience, it is what it is. everyone i know that has run one of those was very disappointed in the performance in both torque and temp.

when that RC8 was being run at that track, if that was anything but 1/4 throttle, it was very poor on torque imo.

the buggies i run and race (Castle's 1515 series) have massive amounts of power all over the track and if i had to draw a comparison it would be like comparing a weed wacker to a chainsaw. the leopard seemed very weak to me in that video.

however, opinions are just that. opinions. so, it's cool if you dig them, I respect your opinion.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by vxlrocket
    the manufacturers are the same... meaning where they build the motors are in the same place. the designs are not the same. Castle doesn't make this motor and having them both manufactured in the same place doesn't really lend anything to the brand except the location where they are built.

as far as my experience, it is what it is. everyone i know that has run one of those was very disappointed in the performance in both torque and temp.

when that RC8 was being run at that track, if that was anything but 1/4 throttle, it was very poor on torque imo.

the buggies i run and race (Castle's 1515 series) have massive amounts of power all over the track and if i had to draw a comparison it would be like comparing a weed wacker to a chainsaw. the leopard seemed very weak to me in that video.

however, opinions are just that. opinions. so, it's cool if you dig them, I respect your opinion.
    As I respect yours. Hm. Well, I hope mine turns out to be what I wanted. Sure seemed fast to me

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlash4x4
    As I respect yours. Hm. Well, I hope mine turns out to be what I wanted. Sure seemed fast to me

it's just a matter of what kind of feel you like to your vehicle. on the track, i like tons of torque so i use the 1515 series castle's. however, when i bash and stunt jump, i'm still a huge feigao fan. they're more predictable and have alot less torque.

i get made fun of terribly over ar RC-Monster for running those "spinning toasters" i believe some call my feigaos.

RC Champion
    in my opinion these motors may be good, BUT! go with the proven system. ezrun has some good support,Vxl obviously has a lot, tacon has good support, but not a lot on leopard so far...
    Yes, I drive an electric converted Nitro Hawk.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by hurley747
    in my opinion these motors may be good, BUT! go with the proven system. ezrun has some good support,Vxl obviously has a lot, tacon has good support, but not a lot on leopard so far...
    They are about a month and a half old

RC Champion
    Since this thread is posted in the Rustler forum, I'm going to assume the OP was asking about the 540-sized (actually 380 in a 540 can) Leopard motors that would actually make sense to try in a Rustler, not the huge 1/8th scale motor I tested (which was completely traction-limited in my video as I noted).

I tried the $59 Leopard 60A/13T combo back in August and after a handful of long runs my stator deglued from the shaft. I sent it back and have been waiting for a replacement to come to this side of the world ever since. Another member of my site encountered the exact same problem. I will give them one more shot if I ever get a replacement, but for now I'd recommend caution at best. The ESC that came with that combo, on the other hand, has run like a champ, even after I accidentally wired it backwards once. When I did that, it smoked & burned so hot that the strands of the wires fused and began actually burning -- the metal, not the insulation, turning to white ash. It doesn't have much programmability but it sure gives a lot more punch than the EZrun 35A ESC and feels like a bit more than the EZrun 60A. Most recently I've been running it with the Tacon ~3000kv 540-sized motor I reviewed. I'd stay away from the combo, though.
    The #1 Traxxas RC fan, 12 years & counting!

RC Qualifier
    Where can you get just the Esc? From what Ive seen you can only get a leopard combo not just the esc

RC Champion
    Haven't seen the ESC by itself anywhere.
    The #1 Traxxas RC fan, 12 years & counting!

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I looked. From what I know its made by kershaw designs. But his website doesnt sell the esc.

RC Qualifier
    striking jealousy into the hearts of all onlookers!
    Leopard motors are great! I run one in my lx1e and have another for my E-Jato (haven't ran it yet Jato is down). But I don't believe the leopard combo esc/motor markers are the same company as the ones who makes the other motors. 1. it's not on there site (I couldn't find it) 2. the logos are different. Who knows.

I research them a while back and the people at Leopard are cool to work with but thay are like the other companys they don't sell directly. They helped me find a few retailers and it's was still alot cheaper to get these motors from overseas.

For the cost of my $200 NEU motor I could have gotten 3 of the long 36 leopard motors. (but Im still happy to own a motor from Neu motors the king of all motor markers) .I cant tell a difference in power but they do have it. For the money and high quality the Leopard have I don't believe anyone one can beat that.
    I got skills!