LED's are taking over the market in time Plasma's are being discontinued due to mfr'ing costs. LCD's are still very good especially the 120hz ones that are 1080p.

These days you can get a nice flat panel with a great picture pretty cheap depending on size of coarse. Pretty sure your best deals are going to be on the LCD's cause LED technology is coming up fast.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Champion

What's new in TV's?

Our ole tube TV is having some intermittent issues, so we might finally upgrade.
    What's the good stuff these days? LCD, Plasma?
    The thing I don't like about lcd's is the black isn't a dark black.
    What should I look for?
    Any input appreciated...

RC Enthusiast
    well...plasma will give the most life-like colors and they are really coming down in price. LCDs really "pop" and you can get LED backlit LCD t.v's for better blacks than they previously had. It's all personal preference really. It depends what you are going to do with the tv. You can still find a DLP rear projection tv fairly inexpensive. Is it in a light controlled environment? Are you going to be using a Blu Ray player? Go to some big box stores and look at the different sets to see what you like. Many sets are 1080p now, but to save some bucks you can still find some that are 720/768p.
    Last edited by norske; 11-06-2010 at 11:19 PM.

RC Competitor
    Well...if you have the $$, from what I've looked at, the LED tv's are really nice. They are super slim and produce better blacks than LCD and they don't reflect like the plasma do, but that all comes at a price.

I am personally still partial to plasma, they are priced well, have great blacks and good color saturation, the only down thing is the potential glare on the screen. Go look at a lot of TV's and decide for yourself though. Try to get a hold of the remote and set each of them up yourself (color/brightness/saturation/contrast/sharpness/Etc.) A lot of times places that sell TV's have these settings all tweaked to make the picture their displaying very vibrant, but it isn't necessarily optimal, not to mention, it can wear a TV out much quicker...

So...overall, my vote for quality/value would be a plasma from a well known manufacture; Samsung, LG, Panasonic etc.
    Stampede VXL
    Rustler VXL
    Nitro 4Tec VXL

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Grand National's Avatar
    I like my RCA LCD 32" TV. Perfect gaming picture; that's all I need. They also have 3d TV's kinda cool I guess.
    Casper - 2001 Dodge Cummins (my baby)

RC Enthusiast
    I'm a big TV fan I get TV's left and right. The best TV i had yet is my 73'' Mitsubishi good for gaming watching movies make you feel like you at the movies for real and that's what I look for so the plasma would be the best pick for you I love the plasma's. Make it really easy to kill people in COD
    TMX:Wanna go bash? EMX:No,Batteries charging

RC Competitor
    oled: super-thin, super-dark, super-bright, and super-crisp.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MYKI
    oled: super-thin, super-dark, super-bright, and super-crisp.

you forgot to add super-expensive & super-rare

RC Qualifier
    I prefer plasma over LCD because the picture quality stays true over a wide viewing angle. 3D is the new rage, and with more content coming all the time could be cool, but it is expensive. The display can do both 2D & 3D, but 3D requires each viewer to be wearing special glasses, which aren't cheap. I'm also not sure about the effect when sitting off center. 3D is either going to be the next big thing, or just a passing fad - only time will tell.
    Censorship is wrong

RC Qualifier
    if your updgrading from a cathode ray tube, than im sure you would be happy with any LCD. i bought my first "HD" set a few months ago. its not top of the line but is great to me. i found a 32in 1080 w/built in Blue ray at best buy for around $450. the blue ray is sweet.
    you must be fast, you were right behind me

RC Qualifier
    I just picked up a 32" Samsung LCD at bestbuy for 449 + tax. I love it! Not to big, not too small. currently i have my acer tower connected so its my computer monitor and tv! Even though i dont have HD channels, the picture is way clear than my previous crappy old school tv. Gaming on an lcd is also incredible. I preffered lcd over plasma because i worry about plasma burning the screen. TV sets are definitally lighter these days also.
    99%er

RC Racer
    The general rule of thumb was originally that 46" and under, LCD's were better. Larger than that were where plasmas ruled. We have 3 Vizio LCD's (42, 30 and 19) and have been great. LED's are beautiful, but are still expensive. And then you have the whole 3D T.V. segment as well.
    Nitro Rustler 2.5

RC Champion
    I"m going with a 42-50".
    My OLD 13" tv in a room died awhile back and we got a 19" lcd. I don't like it as much as our old tv. The blacks aren't rich enough so there isn't much contrast. Maybe it's the settings, I haven't messed with them yet...

RC Enthusiast
    how much are you looking to spend on the new set?

RC Qualifier
    Led all the way.
    Live Life.................While You Can

RC Racer
    I have a 46" and a 32" Toshiba LCD, my video sources are a Scientific Atlanta TWC box and a Sony Blu-Ray player switched by an Onkyo AV receiver, The TV the 46 replaced was a 36" Sony Vega XBR CRT. I personally think the LCD is much crisper than the CRT. You might also want to look into the LG LED/LCD's, the ones I have installed had awesome pictures!
    Cause I'm alive.....Live Wire

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by norske
    how much are you looking to spend on the new set?
    The best I can for the best price I can find.

What are some of the specs to look for?

RC Enthusiast
    do you want 3D? 1080P? LCD? LED LCD? Plasma? go to a store and look around and see what you like. Just beware because the t.v's are set on torch mode so they jump out at you and will look nothing like that when you get it home. Do some research online. A good source for me is AVSforum.com. There are different forums for different t.v's. Skim through that as there are just tons of different threads for all the different t.v's

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I have a 42 and a 32 LCD and they are both very good... the 42 is a toshiba, great TV and its 1080. The 32 is a no name brand and its a 720. If you dont watch bluerays (even if you DO watch HD TV) 720 will impress you. 1080 really only impressed me when I saw a blueray played, everything else looked the same.
    If I had all the money in the world, id be buying LED tvs... I dont care about 3D but man, those LED's look NICE.

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    Wait a little bit and there will be some good deals out there on sets. Check out a lot of places for a good deal. My wife got me a Hi Def 46" 1080 and 120hz LED Sony last Christmas that came with a free Blu-ray player. It was cheaper than smaller sets (without the Blu-ray) I found and I love it! It was a two-day sale that you had to pay for on-line and pick up at the store. Sears had it ready for pick-up the next morning. My only gripe is that their freebie the next week was a PS3 included with the TV. I think you can get the same thing now only with 240hz for better clarity in slow-mo.
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by norske
    do you want 3D? 1080P? LCD? LED LCD? Plasma? go to a store and look around and see what you like. Just beware because the t.v's are set on torch mode so they jump out at you and will look nothing like that when you get it home. Do some research online. A good source for me is AVSforum.com. There are different forums for different t.v's. Skim through that as there are just tons of different threads for all the different t.v's
    What is torch mode? Why couldn't I use use torch mode at home?

I like the looks of LED but I don't know if it's worth the extra $$$. Honestly I seldomly watch TV, it's just time for a new one. I just want good contrast and black blacks

My computer monitor is 1080p LCD LEd. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Thing what I like about LED is how much more accurate the colors and blacks are and the low heat output and energy consumption. Plasma generate alot of heat and plasma always seem to have a static noise(looks like snow) in the picture while LCD do not.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP